Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2015-06-29
15:07:24
 Play-on-line feature

Since one year I use to navigate with Chrome browser, and had no problem with "our" Plus4world.
But now, when I try to run a prg by Play-on-line feature, it stops claiming that plugin NPAPI is going to be no more supported.
Have you too similar problems? (I've Win XP SP3).
Thank you.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2015-06-29
15:53:59
 Re: Play-on-line feature

That's Google for you! I suggest you to switch browser. Browsers based on the Blink engine (Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi) are phasing out the old plugin API (NPAPI) support. The play on-lne feature requires Java support. Unless someone implements an emulator in JavaScript of Adobe Flash and the site maintainers integrate it, you are out of luck with Chrome.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-06-30
07:36:05

Mine is the same with Chrome on Win7. It says: This site uses a plugin (JAVA (TM)) that is unsupported.

I guess where sites like Google & Youtube keep updating to use the latest stuff, our versions of JAVA are not compatible with Minus4J JAVA any more. The Minus4J build is about 15 years old now...

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-06-30
10:22:48

Java is down again. But it can't drown... Java history is a bit mystery for me: so many fails but unmotivated enormous support from the big companies. IMHO Pascal was better. happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2015-07-01
06:16:58

I was able to redo the feature running:

Java side:
[Windows 32 bit]: Enter into Java Control Panel (c:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javacpl.exe)
then set down security level to "Medium"

Chrome side:
type "chrome://flags/#enable-npapi"
Click on [Enable NPAPI]
then Click on [Restart]

Let me know if it works in your PC too!

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-01
07:06:59

As part of my ongoing efforts, I am trying to get a JavaScript plus4 emulator working that requires no plug-ins. I've already successfully done this with other emulators:

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/invaders.html

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/pacman.html

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-07-01
07:40:08

> Chrome side: ...
my Google Chrome Version 39.0.2171.71 (64-bit) on linux has no this option.
> I am trying to get a JavaScript plus4 emulator working that requires no plug-ins
I tried JMESS last year but I couldn't force it to work with plus/4. Did you try to compile Yape SDL with Emscripten? The compilation of plus4emu gives almost the perfect quality of emulation...

Posted By

JamesC
on 2015-07-01
12:01:00

@SVS, your advice will only work through September.

http://blog.chromium.org/2014/11/the-final-countdown-for-npapi.html

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-02
16:39:27

i've made some progress with YAPE in a browser using emscripten.

Sound works, but I am having somewhat obscene video issues

Probably work better soon enough.. wink

I've put a work in progress up at:

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/yape.html

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-07-02
17:28:22

Wow, Mike that's cool! (literally in case of Icicle Works) The video glitch might originate from the way how the frame buffer is filled, sometimes a char pointer is casted to int which may cause issues. Perhaps you could also try the newer 0.36.2 version (I'm about to release another update with true 1541 emulation soon).

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-02
17:32:24

Thanks!

It's absolutely something trivial - I'm being a bit lazy at the moment but it'll be all working soon enough I'm sure...

Then we can see about integrating it to the site!

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-07-03
03:19:41

You could almost say it looks like a memory issue as if you've loaded C16 only Rockman on a Plus/4, but clearly it's not of course. wink

Looking good though! :)

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-03
14:39:39

The solution to the current graphics glitch is to just write a new 8to32 blit routine for emscripten.

Almost there...

Gaia - Can you email me please? I've got an android APK you might like wink (my username @ gmail)

*update*

This is actually working perfectly now, please enjoy icicle works:

Icicle works online

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-07-03
19:25:22

Looks perfect but requires a real CPU by the looks of it for normal view, it ran about 10% the speed of a real machine via my little atom win7 notebook.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-07-04
02:45:19

Mail sent wink btw, there is a pure c version of "yape" though it is not exactly yape since it was a rewrite from scratch 10 years ago for a Pocket PC +4 emulator. The TED code is line based and is very fast, it actually made it to Yape as the so-called "fast mode". So in case there are performance issues with the javascript code, it can be considered as alternative.

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-04
14:55:15

New blit routine done, and a few cheeky speedups here and there, it almost runs *too fast* now!

The following games can be played:

Icicle Works
Big Mac
Tutti Frutti
Number Builder
Fingers Malone - type sys 5792 when plu4 boots

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2015-07-04
09:09:43

Checked Icicle Works. Plays cool, but where's the sound? I can hear some occasional notes but no proper music.

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-04
12:24:47

Just added

Quadrillion to the list of test games.

Sound should work although there is a delay - your experience may vary by os and browser!

There is an issue at the moment where F-keys arent being interpreted, making bigmac unplayable.

I'm also looking into record / playback so we can show high scores on games (and the game being played to achieve the score!) I already have a version of arcade space invaders using emscripten that can record / playback a full game.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-07-04
14:05:03

Fingers Malone does not work. Others are fine. Music and sound are good but sometimes music is a bit faster than it should be.
I tried to run these games with Raspberry Pi (it is close to 500-600 MHz Intel Atom) - nothing is working.
I tried also 3 years old tv computer with Atom 1900 MHz - it works but too slow - the music is almost off.
So Javascript version of Yape-SDL requires the special optimization to work not only with > 3 GHz desktops.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-07-04
15:37:05

Way to go Mike! I am not sure how much you had to change the sound engine but the one in 0.36.2 should be much better wink I'll contact you about my Pocket C+4 sources... whether and how it could be used to expand a bit on the performance side.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-07-05
07:32:41

This current build with Icicle Works runs slower than the first one...
I'm using Google Chrome.

I think I'll let the guys with real computers check as my humble calculator https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One isn't up for the task.

Love the idea about high score saving though, very cool. happy

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-05
12:19:43

It's worth clearing your cache if you've see a "slower" build, as the yape.js and additional files have all changed (a lot) and old cached versions will be slower.

We'll get it working at a decent speed on most computers soon enough I hope!

The playback / record has progressed too, I can record a full game now..

Watch this space as they say!

*UPDATE*
The emulator can now playback simple recording inputs:

Some examples:

Icicle works demo 1
Icicle works demo 2
Fingers Malone Test - this is actually proof of how awful I am at this game and how difficult it is!

Also it means we can do silly things like the existing 404 page, but real

silly 404 error

It's not quite perfect.. The adventure continues so they say :)

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-07-05
13:46:34

Fantastic! The only disadvantage is in fact than JavaScript is about 3-5 times slower than Java.

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-05
15:09:58

>>> The only disadvantage is in fact than JavaScript is about 3-5 times slower than Java.

This is a good point, however java is pretty much a dead web-based plugin - as we have experienced with the existing play on line problems.

Compiled javascript like this should be fast, I've seen some benchmarks indicating firefox compiled javascript with asm.js can be very fast indeed. The speed problem we have are almost certainly rendering based which we can still improve (I hope)

Of course the real fun starts if we get some sort of online multiplayer action going :)

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-07-05
15:21:57

Don't forget that YapeSDL is cycles based, so it's by default very demanding HW-wise, hence I was suggesting a line based solution in case we shoot for a wider audience wink Most classic games just run perfectly fine even with a line based video engine.

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-05
15:43:18

Attila, I'm happy to go this route, you just need to reply to my emails wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-07-05
18:13:58

Sure sure wink fair enough happy

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-07-06
09:42:40

Multiplayer?! Is it possible?! I can't even imagine this.

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-06
10:52:54

Of course it's possible! Question is, what multiplayer games would work?

Event turn based multiplayer would work, basically you run the two emulators and keep their cpu and inputs in sync, you are always 1/50th behind but the lag usually doesn’t make any difference.

Modern fast internet and fast cpu make this a very real possibility. Just a case of how we implement it! happy

High scores are now a done deal with the record and playback, we can improve the site to not only show you the "high score" on a game but also how they did it - all without installing anything!

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-07-07
05:30:08

Any Chess game that supports 2 human players would be a good place to start for a turn based 2 player game... wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-07-07
11:29:00

The JavaScript emulator is looking really impressive! For me the games run well, but when I press any of the cursor keys, it crashes (so I couldn't play Quadrillion at all).

At some point, if you're up to it, we should integrate this to the site. BTW, any news on the Android emulator? Back in January you mentioned it was almost ready.

Anyone else up to helping me out with some text/instructions to put on the current Java page? (E.g. what browsers it will work on, any possible workarounds to get it running, etc.)

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-07
13:47:16

I'm happy to integrate once we get to a stable state for sure happy

As for the android port - It's still very good, but still very beta. The interface is not that great, it needs a better on screen keyboard similar to VICE but since that version came out, it was way ahead of my own, and my full time job at the time forced me to put my other projects on hold.

I think the simplest way to test multiplayer is to just have two plus4's in sync, where each can type into it.

Is anybody up for testing multiplayer with me?

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-07-08
15:03:48

I'm ready to help to test multiplayer. Send a private message to me with the date, time and instructions.

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-09
11:27:00

ok I will setup a site with multiplayer, and a game selection screen, with game record / playback, we all agree to test the bugger to hell and back and then once we are happy we integrate it into the site and we all get to play!

I'm quite looking forward to playing Big Mac with 2, or 3 or 4 people (hell, lets face it, we can have 10 of us all playing bigmac, racing to the end!).

It could almost become a spectator sport....

* UPDATE *

I have made some changes to how the emulator is rendered

Fingers Malone Game 2 - playback as fast as possible

One the playback has finished, it should resume normal speed and return user input again, allowing you to "have your go" ;)

Could you all test this please as it is a better example of how fast it should be.

Please clear your cache / force refresh in your browser where possible! :)

whilst you test that, I'll go and see about linking two emulated plus4 machines via html and get a proper multiplayer going!

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-07-10
05:21:47

It works at the natural speed at 3.2 MHz CPU, but the time of preparation is a bit too long. BTW Google Chrome has no cache regulation or I miss it. I plan to test it with Atom 1.9 MHz system later.

EDIT. I've found a way to clear cache at Chrome but the game is still very slow with Intel Atom. I was wrong about the time of preparation - it was fast.

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-07-30
08:52:15

I'm back from my travels again now, so work can continue on this.

The most recent update added a faster blitting mode (once per VBLANK, instead of once per HBLANK) - and the ability to record / playback input.

I'm going to attempt multi-player using web sockets and just simple keyboard / joystick input arrays (sending the differences).

Attila has kindly emailed me with some support for the fast blitter, so this again should see some speed improvements when we merge the code!

I've done some tests here and I can run an entire game on my 1.4ghz x64 linux machine that I use for hobby development, not a fast or new machine by any standards at all.

For a speed test - I've re-enabled a playback for Big Mac here: Bigmac mini game speed up

*UPDATE*

Gaia and I have been working towards a new version of the online version of yape. You can try a copy here

Please give us some feedback on this latest version!

http://js.mikedx.co.uk/yapebeta.html?games/bigmac.prg

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-07-31
02:47:58

It shows about 50% speed with Intel Atom. So it becomes faster. IMHO the option "no sound" and some other options will be useful...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-07-31
14:28:22

there will be a line based ted emulation mode, too. Maybe frame skip as well.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-10-07
12:10:16

Bump! Any news on this, guys? The demos linked above are working really well. I'd love to see this integrated into our site, if possible happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-10-14
15:07:47

Mike has become a daddy recently so I guess there are some more important projects for some time happy

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-10-15
06:44:29

Hey folks. I'll try to get back on this soon! I've seen mails from you, and I'll get on the case. I'd love to see the javascript port up on the site if it's deemed good enough. As Gaia says, I've got a new baby in the house and she takes a lot of our time. Computer time is a luxury at the moment!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-10-15
08:36:05

Congratulations happy Most of us know how it is, so we'll be patient wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-10-15
08:56:00

Congratulations by me, a man who does not know how it is grin