Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2015-05-25
03:49:04
 Saboteur 2

Am about to compare the Saboteur 2 version with the release of Muffbusters. There seem to be 2 completely different reactions ...

It lacks any information on the version - release year and especially who wrote this. Does anyone have this information?

Or it may be an attempt at a commercial version which was not yet 100% complete and has the Durell may not be published?

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-05-25
06:59:31
 Re: Saboteur 2

The Encore label released Saboteur, ACE & ACE 2 for C64 which they never did for our dedicated Plus/4 versions... I doubt they would of released a dedicated Plus/4 version of Saboteur 2 either even if one was available.
And you know the standards of Elite, good or bad they didn't care such as our Airwolf 2 & Bomb Jack 2 coming from no where straight on to the Encore Label. They also released both Ace games together on one tape on C64 for the Encore label, and this was before our ACE +4 was released by Gamebusters.

Either way Elite/Encore had given up on us by that time, and maybe why Alternative Software Limited got the rights to re-release our Saboteur! instead.

I never liked Saboteur 2 on C64 back in the day, just because the main characters were too thin and tall looking. I would compare each with the C64 version any way and go from there as to which is the better one for you.

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2015-05-26
13:22:42

The first question was is the Saboteur 2 Version any version where was sent to Durell Software (or Encore) or was this any converted version from the scene?

Posted By

Murphy
on 2015-05-26
17:09:41

It was converted by Mucsi.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-05-26
17:35:09

Rüdiger,
There was no need to repeat your self as it was clear what you were asking and with out guessing...
I was just pointing out what they did on C64 if you didn't already know and what they could of done for us as it existed. And of course what we ended up with. History lesson over. wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-05-26
19:01:16

Murphy, I think he means the "other" one. There's one called Saboteur 2 (MB), and there's one without a creator: Saboteur 2. This other one is perhaps an earlier conversion, or a different one entirely. Are you sure *both* were converted by Mucsi?

MIK, don't forget that there's a huge language barrier for some people happy I'm sure he's just trying to clarify himself. The problem is what you said: none of us know for sure, but I'd say I'm 99% sure these are both scene releases, not commercial software.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-05-27
02:40:19

Csabo's right, we still don't know who converted Saboteur 2, which shows completely different memory allocations compared to Saboteur 2 (MB). The conversion approach of the two is clearly different too: the former one manages items like the moon in background in a worse way than the latter, but the Muffbusters' one seems to be lacking in color memory cleaning out. Moreover, some palette choices of the two are evidently not matching each other, and why does the former start with a owned shuriken? Mystery deepens happy

Posted By

Murphy
on 2015-05-27
06:23:43

Csabo, I see, you are right.

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2015-05-27
06:58:48

The C64 version also starts with a shuriken...

Edit:
I checked all three binaries. Both plus/4 versions seem converted ones IMO. They have some differences in code and some data areas are relocated. Both versions contain remains of SID code, the MB version simply used "bit" opcode to put it out of use. The MB version contains whole chunk of relocated code by one byte back in memory. That seems an insane method to save one byte ;)

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-05-27
07:11:05

Funny, in 1989 we also wanted to convert Saboteur 2 from the C64 but it was very difficult to get hold of the game since it was not too popular there and virtually noone had it in their collection happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-05-27
07:16:22

Gaia it's time for a revenge: convert it nowadays! wink

Posted By

Murphy
on 2015-05-27
07:55:35

Luca: Noooo happy We don't need another conversion from this bad game. happy