Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-05-04
06:53:15
 The Hunt for Red October...C16?

Ok now it comes another weird stuff.
A Spanish guy has just published on Twitter some pics of his own C16 with classic software, like Powerball, Speed King and... "The Hunt for Red October"!

As we can see, it looks like the Grandslam's 1987 simulation game inspired by the book, not the other licensed one from the movie in date 1990/91, and the label in the corner says "Commodore 16K". We know Grandslam had never released anything for the C16.

The guy stated he was not able to load it, in comparision with the other 'classic' games, loaded with no difficulties. Of course, this take all of us to wonder about some errors with that cover...nonetheless there's something weird about...

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-05-04
08:11:41
 Re: The Hunt for Red October...C16?

Grandslam were an English company who did Namco's Pacmania for C64... I never saw this for our machines on the shelf back in the day. That said, it's the worst machine lable I have ever seen and they would not say a game is 16K for a C64/C128.

If his C16 finds the FOUND name then it is a commodore tape, just it could be C64 or Vic20 16k?

It could be a re-named Torpedorun or Torpedo Alley but I doubt it. wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-05-04
08:55:36

Haha grin "It's the worst machine lable I have ever seen" is the sentence that makes my day grin

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-05-04
08:56:07

Is it just me, or does that "tape" box look weird? I mean the dimensions of it look off. My guess is... fake/joke, but I'd love to be proven wrong. It would be nice to get a scan of the full cover, or another photo with the tape as well.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-05-04
09:12:52

Csabo oh well, that box looks large as, say, a Trailblazer or a Strip Poker box, those useless large boxes in which the cassette moves free and dangerously from corner to corner happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-05-04
09:30:22

The cassette case almost looks like a more modern one being glass clear with the thick lip on the leading edges, as used by proper commercial music or books on cassette tape.

I've just put Phantom in such a modern style case to see what it looks like in the same sort of shot..., and so you can see as a comparison.

Posted By

George
on 2015-05-04
15:53:59

For me it looks like that somebody cutted the original cover box from the c64 version and put it into a cassette case from another c-16 game. Maybe the spanish friend can send us some pictures as Csabo said.

Maybe we have a here a prototype game. Everything is possible.

PRG: TheHuntForRedOctober.prg

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-05-04
16:19:33

Yeah, judging from MIK's picture I guess I was wrong, it does seem like a "real" tape. Anyway, any more guesswork here isn't going to help us... Luca, can you contact the person?

BTW, the subject for this topic should have been "The hunt for The Hunt for Red October" wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-05-04
17:39:13

Just to go back quickly to what Luca was saying about the big double case boxes and them being a pain with loose tapes inside...

Just something I've been doing and might be worth sharing.
I have put mine in to small plastic resealable bags. Folding the remains over it's self on the top they sit in side the cases really nice. I did this more to protect them rather than wear and tear reasons. Stops them moving about any way if I do handle them.
I put a couple of single case games in some just for show...

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-05-04
17:49:00

Pretty neat solution MIK!

Posted By

George
on 2015-05-04
17:50:27

Mik, i love your enthusiasm and care for this old tapes. I store my collection in a big box. What i personally miss in the game-database are nice portrait pictures from the commercial games with their original case, box, and cassettes/disks.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-05-04
18:25:41

The guy wrote:"I think it was a wrong cover in the spanish Zafi Chip edition. I'll try loading it in my C64".

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-05-04
19:18:05

Handy he has a C64 to try as that will help in the quest for answers! happy

@George
Maybe Chris on www.commodore16.com is the man for the job as his collection is way bigger than mine. wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024