Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2014-12-16
05:04:26
 Native Plus/4 TED-tune player ?

Is there a player for TED-tunes that works with HVTC on a SD card ?
I can play the prg's obviously, but that means i have to re-enter filebrowser every time i want to change song.
I tried music-hearing and music-player, both of which i think can play TED tunes(?) but i can't figure out how to change directory (if possible) to get to where i store HVTC.
The recently released SID-player is fantasticly useable, is there a way playing TED tunes could be incorporated into that interface ?

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-16
06:19:28
 Re: Native Plus/4 TED-tune player ?

Eh, as we've written several times, the lack of a standard format for TED tunes which may able us to manage every possible variable for a TED tune forces us to release exomized playable files to run in an emulator (or real iron), coupled with a mirror folder containing the 'naked' music files.
HVTC nowadays considers all the TED tunes non written in BASIC, and significant native digi tunes only. There's a very wide range of cases in which those tunes are played, especially from older games: some are not played into a specific interrupt at a speed given by how much time the gameplay's code would take; some others needs unconstant interrupt calls; some play sfx by continuing certain variables one a key is pressed... The ways they play are so many, and I try to keep the sound as close as possible to what you've originally heard while playing the games happy

Wherever a SID file, is a 'naked' code with some variables at the beginning to be read from a player, atm our files are actual programs to be run alone.

Posted By

corpsicle
on 2014-12-16
06:27:24

Thanks a lot for the explanation, sorry you had to repeat it again. =)

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-16
06:29:44

You give me the change to inform that atm there are 25 new tunes to add, and a dozen of fixes happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2014-12-16
15:28:44

Luca, that's not quite true:

http://tedplay.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#cbm8m.txt

I must admit that there is indeed a chicken-egg problem here: I have not implemented complete support because there are no tunes. And I guess there will not be many tunes until there is something to play them with properly. I think we may have set the ambition level a bit too high with the C8M format...

For the time being, and due to lack of time actually, too, we could just use the PSID/RSID format as well. Carefully adjusting the extension to .TED and making sure that there is some flag that identifies the 264 family well enough.

I must add that you have earned my eternal respect for the sheer amount of effort you have put into the current HVTC collection. It must have been a hell of a lot of work!

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-16
16:38:53

Actually, since now I guessed that C8M was originally planned to be a mimic format from PSID...

Oh well happy Actually there are some difficult cases to emulate, but hey, we can simply start from a bunch of easy specimen, and then refine the standard step by step. Of course, the best would be a standard that would consider all the possible cases _before_ starting to convert the file into it.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024