Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2014-12-12
02:28:35
 Super Cobra for non Hungarians?

Super Cobra looks quite interesting, but I don't speak Magyar so I don't know how to play it. Anyone help me on what options I press on the menu screen?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-12-12
04:43:35
 Re: Super Cobra for non Hungarians?

Main menu:

1 - VERSENY MINDEN PÁLYÁN = COMPETITION ON ALL LEVELS
2 - VERSENY NÉHÁNY PÁLYÁN = COMPETITION ON SELECTED LEVELS
3 - VERSENY EGY PÁLYÁN = COMPETITION ON ONE SELECTED LEVEL
4 - GYAKORLÁS = TRAINING
5 - ELÉRT LEGJOBB EREDMÉNYEK = HIGHEST SCORES
6 - ÉLETEK SZÁMA VERSENYNÉL = LIVES IN COMPETITION (press repeatedly to change from 1 upto 8 and back to 1 again)
7 - MOZGATÁS BILLENTYŰZETRŐL/JOYSITCKKEL = KEYBOARD/JOYSTICK CONTROLS (press to toggle)
8 - BOMBA ÉS LÖVÉS KÜLÖN/EGYSZERRE = BOMBS AND SHOTS SEPARATELY/TOGETHER (press to toggle)

Levels:

AKNÁSÍTOTT ALAGÚT = TUNNEL WITH MINEFIELD
RAKÉTÁK ÉS TANKOK = MISSILES AND TANKS
ÜSTÖKÖSÖK = COMETS
NÉGYES FORGÓK = ROTATING QUADS (not sure)
EGYES FORGÓK = SINGLE ROTATORS (not sure either)
SZÖKKENŐK ÉS BOMBÁK = LEAPERS AND BOMBS
RAKÉTÁK ÉS BOMBÁK = MISSILES AND BOMBS
LÖVÖLDÖZŐ UFÓK = SHOOTING UFOS
A VÁROS FELETT = OVER THE CITY
ALAGÚT A VÁROS ALATT = TUNNEL UNDER THE CITY

Starting a game:

MI A NEVED? = WHAT'S YOUR NAME?
JÓ LESZ EZ ÍGY? = WILL THIS BE OK?
IGEN = YES
NEM = NO
KÖVETKEZIK: = NEXT UP IS:
MELYIK VERSENYEKET KÉRED? = WHICH LEVELS WOULD YOU LIKE TO COMPETE ON? (press the letters to toggle)

During game:

ÜZEMANYAG = FUEL
PONTSZÁM = SCORE
BÁZIS = BASE

Game end:

EREDMÉNYEK = SCORES
GRATULÁLOK, XX ZZZ GYAKORLATBAN ELÉRT EREDMÉNYED ÚJ REKORD = CONGRATULATIONS, XX YOUR SCORE ON LEVEL ZZZ IS A NEW RECORD (or HIGH SCORE)

I hope it covers most of it, I did not screw up too badly, and it will help.

Edit: Correction in the main menu translation.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-12
04:04:24

Super Cobra, what a wonderful coinop conversion it is. Even though I've never fully understand why the gameplay moves to the next level once you die :/

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-12-12
04:36:52

Well, now there is your explanation. It is a special competition oriented game, not a simple single player one. And I like the fact that you can have sample of all levels without having to clear all before any given one.

Anyhow, if some other Hungarian speaking people would check it, this translation could be added to the game's page.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-12
04:48:02

We need a proper English language release. In fact, there seems to be quite a lot of non-english games that look excellent but are largely unknown because they're not in English, which is a shame.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-12
05:29:21

As we can read in the International Standards, translation is a common feature in other (cracking) scenes to justify a rerelease. No doubt that my first belove candidate in the list would be Csavargás A Gombák Birodalmában!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-13
10:24:10

Idõlabirintus (Time Labyrinth) looks interesting too happy

So there's already lots of games nobody has heard of that are already available to play, so long as you know the language. They just need a universal English translation.

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-12
09:36:22

"...nobody has heard of..."? Really? happy So why we've written down all those news about Hungarian tapes, ancient coders and so on? grin

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-13
10:22:53

Fair do's, but that's not quite what I mean. Anyone who don't know the language are more unlikely to even give them a second glance let alone download them

Posted By

Jakec
on 2014-12-13
03:35:24

Időlabirintus:
it is absolutely hopeless
Sorry.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-12-13
06:02:54

Why is it hopeless Jakec? If you watch carefully the page of the game, you can see there is a German version already. If it, the translation, could be done once, there should be not problem doing it again.

Posted By

Jakec
on 2014-12-13
09:38:43

Super Cobra is OK.
But the Időlabirintus isn't OK. I have not seen another one outside the Hungarian version of it.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-12-13
10:06:24

You are in half read mode. As I said, there is a German version, see http://plus4world.powweb.com/dl/games/i/idolabirintus_german.zip. Try to download and play it. I did it, and it's in German as far as a can understand. Better yet, at first glance it is Austrospeed compiled, therefore it should be a lot easier to translate than it would be for a machine code programme.

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-12-13
10:51:56

So, there is a way to decompile the program to an editable version? or just easier to make the text changes in Monitor, than as if it would be a machine code PRG originally?
English is typically more compact than Hungarian text, it just need the translation to English, then a lot of space character.

If anyone is in the "project", than I am ready to do the Idolabirintus translation from HUN to ENG, if I get the text. May take few weeks free time only, I suppose.

(I did it (OK, just the 40-50%) for the Philips DVD-Recorders GUI some time ago on the opposite way (imagine the lenght constrains), it should not be a problem again happy ).

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-12-13
15:09:19

i'm in to hack it into english. in the past i made some similar translation hack on c64 (mostly polish ones, where i only guess what is what grin )

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-13
15:27:10

Yeah, would be great to see a professional crack with T and several other suffixes, running with a sweet cracktro in the beginning! happy Would means that my efforts to keep the cracktros front opened hasn't been lost in the wind

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-12-14
04:06:24

Luca: honestly, we are the only 2 "groups" who release "cracked" stuff novadays grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-14
05:16:36

Chronos are you kidding me? happy The C64 cracktro scene rapresents half of the overall releases, with several dedicated BBS and regularly released diskmags keeping up the famous 'List', a ranking about cracks.
As I've pointed out in the past, I tried to introduce a flavour of crack scene into our little environment too, mostly in the Nostalgia crew style, and in some useful target cases, just like Pin Point +4MF 101% [PAL/NTSC].

In general, incredible but true, there exist 'scenes' smaller than ours, with the redundancy of one, sometimes two, releasing groups, and a sparsely updated forum on a site. The enthusiasm doesn't get affected by this limitation happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-12-14
12:29:05

I would argue now that the recently fixed Pinpoint version actually deserves a TAP release, giving the option of recording over the abominable hack job of the original. I'd happily wipe the original error for that (although without a trainer) wink

Posted By

Spector
on 2014-12-15
03:22:35

BTW thanks to Gerliczer for the translations in his post. It would be great to see a proper English release of course, but this will do for now happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-12-16
06:03:37

Baz, it doesn't take much effort to hold the run/stop and press the reset button to enter a couple of pokes... what's more you have a device that allows you to load the fixed PRG within a short space of time, even quicker to load than the original tape version I'm sure.

One thing tap's pride them self on is the authenticity of being the genuine real thing and that rule should be followed at all times. In the unlikely event that a bug should appear with any update then we always have the original too fall back on. wink

What you do with your own personal collection when it concerns old stuff is up to you though, just in no way should a remade/updated tap, (regardless if it fixes a bug) be passed off as an original for public consumption unless it's named differently so the two can't be mixed up. wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-16
06:22:53

You guys give me a good chance to remind to anybody that a fixed version of Pin Point has been released as PRG just before the trained one.

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-12-31
03:24:15

i seek someone's help to find out what is the hex code of the '&' character in the program 'Super Cobra'. Instead of the special chars like '&' there are special hungarian characters, and the is not enough free text place to use 'AND' instead of '&'.
Thanks

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-12-31
05:29:16

Seemingly there is no '&' defined in the charset. The character generator is located at $7000 in the memory and there seem to be free positions that are unused mainly at the start (e.g. $7000..$70ff). I wish you happy hacking.

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-12-31
08:45:32

The uploaded version is not fully finished, has few typo issues, and the mentioned not available "&" character.

Otherwise, hopefully fully understandable and playable.

Final, compressed version expected at the very beginning of January.

Happy New Year to every Plussians !

Posted By

SVS
on 2014-12-31
09:37:32

@ MMS: the "&" character stands for "ö".
I deduced all other Hungarian symbols, if you are interested to.
Me too I've started to translate it happy but you have been faster...

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-12-31
10:15:55

Nice job, MMS. This modification piked my interest, so here are some suggestions.
>9D63 5F
>9D99 5F
>9DAE 5F
>72F9 3C 66 3C 38 67 66 3F
This should take care of the ampersand until a better one is drawn up by somebody (place the new definition to $72F8..$72FF).

The following text can be read from $7E07 to $7E1E: SZOLLOSI GYORGY V871112. I guess this is the date when Super Cobra went "gold".

The pointers of the level names seemingly can be found from $9D34 to $9D47, so it is possible to play around with them to gain place for longer text at the expense of shorter ones if necessary.

In the main menu the control selection text should be revised, because "w.joystick" is missing a space compared to "w. keyboard". Furthermore, there seem to be leading space characters that could be used to gain some space to lengthening the main menu items if needed.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-12-31
13:13:22

muhaha, i translated it also, but it not finished yet, trainer menu and intro awaits.. Dear MMS! - to the honorable competition :D

Now you can download my version too:
-----------------------------------------------

supercobra90%.eng.ace.prg

seems like there are minor differences, and i translated the scroll and modified the keys at selection menu too (Yes and No)

.%. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! .%.

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-12-31
13:46:12

grin

I think a translated, trained version with a nice intro will rule them all!

Chronos, the second and third one will surely missing from my version, so please finish your one!
Anyhow, we may have 2 or 3 English versions, and that is just great happy

Gerliczer, thanks for the initial translation, the test, and the help, I also listed these mistakes too. you should be on the credits too, as you started the "lavina". :-D

PS
From Elite and Barbarian we had parallel conversions too, and competition is just great grin )
Csavargas a Gombak birodalmaban is the next one happy
Will be a harder one, haha! Up to the competition !

PS. Plus4Emu did not help me too much here, and the Yape Monitor hanged up randomly, so I have 41 saved versions till I got the almost ready version. Just recently realized, that it was the version 1.0.4 and not the 1.0.6, that is not freezing randomly on 64bit Win7 happy
Maybe for my next Christmas I will ask from Gaia to let YAPE monitor enter more then 8 bytes at once (or I was too lame to edit memory directly, as it showed the ROM ).

Posted By

JamesC
on 2014-12-31
15:56:24

@MMS - can the forced PAL mode be removed (don't change the NTSC/PAL bit)?

When setting a single level (A through J) it's not intuitive that Enter is required after. Is this the same as the original?

Posted By

Chronos
on 2014-12-31
17:21:57

yes :D

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-01-01
09:14:57

For both versions, I suggest to restore the original hiscore table appearence, instead of some personal scores from you two happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-01-01
10:29:41

Dear Luca! Both of them are not released yet, so you can expect a "clean" hiscore list!

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-01-01
11:22:14

Are you talking about both yours AND THE OTHER release too? happy ESPer ahead!

Let's see what will be out then, have a good time on that both of you...or Chronos only, which would value the same happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-01-01
16:50:54

thanks for the warning grin
I think my hiscore would be easy to challenge, but I agree a clean (or nicely modified) hiscore would be great for a final version

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-01-02
02:20:16

Yes, actually if you're not including a real cracktro before the game, modifying the vanity board should be the best way to 'sign' your crack. Of course, a cracktro would be fine anyway happy
My two cents about that: try to implement as many features you're able to in the cleanest way you find to, Chronos is on the right way thanks to the trainers he said to add. The best would be the implementation of PAL/NTSC compatibility (by making space in order to LDA $FF07 AND #$40 ORA #$XX STA $FF07), and a hiscore saving option. Also, try to use the International Standards to choose the right name suffixes.

In all the cases, love to see that encouraging a regular cracking attitude has borne its fruits :)

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-01-02
07:51:43

Ok Luca, you will be the final betatester before release! grin
I planned a PAL only, ENGLISH only, trainered and hi score saver included version.
JamesC - i've removed all the stuff from the beginning of the program, no reset protection anymore.
Ati - I converted it already :D ..and will include it on the super cobra disk as part of the extra content! :D

Posted By

Ati
on 2015-01-02
07:02:57

Happy new year guys!

Chronos, nice to hear a new release! Unreal posted a super cobra picture on facebook, what he drawed anno on amiga. Ask Unreal, and convert back to plus4... happy It will better than original.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-01-02
10:53:55

Did try to convert that Amiga picture by Unreal when he'd just published on fb, obraining very good results in several format; it could be a valid substitute indeed wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-01-02
11:39:10

Great job on the English language release. Time to finally get some serious game time in on this one I think happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-01-02
13:52:47

the biggest time eater and release delayer is our new crackintro, but i think it is worth to wait!

Posted By

Patrick
on 2015-01-05
10:35:13

i knew this game already, but the english version it perfect!

played it for awhile with my 5-years old son...he really like it. i was the driver, he was the shooter!

thanks guys. i will give it a high vote!

now waiting for the final release, hopefully, with the UNREAL picture!!

btw: is there someone who has an original tape of this game for sale? will be a nice to have one in my collection!

Posted By

Chronos
on 2015-01-05
15:44:35

hey guys! unreal's picture conversion is finished already, which option like you most?

a, keep the game intact, include unreal's picture separated.
b, replace super cobra pic with unreal's one.
c, release both versions :D

thanks in advance!

Don't worry about hi score saver, it is done already! Saves to floppy!

Posted By

SVS
on 2015-01-05
15:07:23

@Chronos: c) of course! happy

@Luca: Are you sure there is no saving options (you asked Chronos for)? When I was testing my alpha release of translation, I've obtained a screen with hi-scores linked to the player name.

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-01-05
18:13:37

I feel if we want to renew Super Cobra, then the internal game GFX elements need to be changed too
(just kidding grin )

I vote for a) with all the respect to the original, absolutely not bad picture.
(I think it is one of the better pictures from that period).

A good trackmo with a cool Unreal GFX will make the good start, trainer and the English menu will grant the good play.

In fact, sometimes I feel this game too hard (eg. tunnel under the city), very low scores...
Too old to play?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-01-05
20:10:12

I vote for "d) do what you want and don't ask the folks happy" or "e) include both - pack the new pic in front of the game if there's no room.".

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-01-06
05:41:13

...and what do you mean with 'a good trackmo"?

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-01-06
06:48:21

just kidding. A crack intro will please the full scene.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024