Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

gc841
on 2014-10-31
06:15:12
 Ghosts 'n Goblins

The arcade version came out 29 years ago, there is an article today in the register.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/31/antique_code_show_ghost_n_goblins/?page=1

The last paragraph of the first page rings true.

A plus/4 remake is long overdue. A colourful scroller with not too many sprites on screen at once, just right
for plus/4, any takers?

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-10-31
06:22:35
 Re: Ghosts 'n Goblins

Heh, would be a hard task and whoever will take the gauntlet should have a serious brainstorming session with all the ppl involved to write down a list of those compromises which would take to a reasonable project, first of all.

Anyway, that article is simply driven by the "Most Original Halloween Retro Nerdy Geeky Recall" award, a challenge that so many headlines have taken up, quite poor attempt this one :) If you really wanna be the geek-in-chair you should cite the most scaring 8bit games, like Forbidden Forest, or Friday The 13th...

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-10-31
08:24:01

One game series I love are Ghosts'N Goblins, Ghouls'N Ghosts and Super Ghouls N' Ghosts.

I have them for C64, C16/Plus4 , ZX Spectrum, Mega Drive, SNES, Sega Saturn, PSone, Original XBOX & Gameboy Advance. happy

gc841 you should do the honor and port the ZX Spectrum version for Plus/4 after your excellent verson of Sabre Wulf. wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-10-31
08:43:11

The C64 is getting a refresh version hopefully soon with much better graphics and longer levels. I think all the levels. I assume it's going to be a multiload.

C64 refresh beta screenshot.
screeny

I for one am not against a C16?Plus4 refresh. I would prefer a 16K miracle but 64K would be good too, and not a port either happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-10-31
09:17:35

In some ways you can look at Tom Thumb and see G&G in there in theory, it could be done with justice in the right hands.

I'd love to see C64 Ikari Warriors on Plus/4 though and given the choice I'd take a good Ikari Warriors over Ghouls'n Ghosts. wink

PS. That C64 screen, Arthur looks a bit plump?? He doesn't look right any way...

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-10-31
16:08:20

Nah, I'm quite satisfied with Ikari Warriors, it's a good 16K port considering the obvious limitations and whilst could still be improved imho is still very good fun to play. On the other hand G&G is simply unforgivable regardless of the limitations, it was basically unreleasable.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-10-31
17:41:01

C16/Plus4 Ikari Warriors is not a good port Baz, it's a version made for kids below the age of 8 and was just as insulting to play then when you were like 15 years old at the time of it's release as it is now. The two player mode doesn't even save it, it just makes things worse as there is no sodding challenge in it's single player game at all. wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-10-31
18:14:40

IMO Ikari Warriors is more fun than Legionnaire which I feel is over-rated due to the colour clashes of the bullets and the slowness. Commando? Well, let's not even go there as an arcade port. Who Dares Wins II was totally snail-paced. Gun Law has a much higher difficulty too that you're doing well to get through level one. It's only Plus/4 Commando which more or less got it right as a port, and that's in 64K.

We were never really going to get a fully faithful version of Ikari in 16K. The only real problem with it is that you cannot fire diagonal whilst the enemy can, which I mentioned in my review. Other than that, at least we have the grenades and more importantly the tanks, and co-op two player mode which really makes the game its own on our system. It has the major most important aspects of the arcade original anyway (even Elite forgot the power pills in Bombjack). Maybe not a perfect port (but then what is on our system?) but it is still certainly a good one for the unexpanded C16, and an enjoyable game in itself with the right amount of difficulty as I've certainly found other games easier, and as the user rating here suggests. I was impressed by it back in the day, one of the better arcade conversions for our system which is as rare as hens teeth happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-11-01
08:06:05

I think Luca or Csabo should take the mickey and change all men, tanks and anything else that fires into little space ships, turn the green floor black and change the hills into meteorite looking objects and then your start seeing C16/Plus4 Ikari Warriors for what it really is. A blow average space shooter in disguise!!!

BTW there are no levels in Gun Law, just one massive landscape to walk up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdsikZqwH_M

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024