Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-02-12
04:59:39
 Methabolix Anno 2014!

FlashbackWhich would be the best way to begin a new year in the scene? Yes, with the first demo release of the year! What can be called 'a good omen demo release to begin the year'?. Yes, again: a demo release from a memorable crew we've missed for too much time so far!

Methabolix is one of the groups we missed the most. Its members merged under that label to take the Plus/4 scene a step forward in the quality side, having released groundbreaking megademos in terms of code, graphics, ideas and overall design. We really miss its beneficial presence in the nowadays scene since 20 years now. Fact is that Rachy has represented his group several times when he'd taken part in the new millenium's compos like 4Ever 2003, or the limiTED online democompos (both first and second editions). Sometimes old unreleased stuff signed MX surfaces from the forgotten depths of the scene's history, and in the best case someone reorganize old parts in a modern and working release, like Metapharstic 80%. But the truth is that we're missing a straight release since 20 years now!

The wait is now over! After 20 years of silence, Beast and Unreal are back, now with the assistance of Csabo/LOD in the music department, with a little dentro named Flashback, a pretty nice democoding training just to regain the habit and see the gears moving again.
Flashback is an emotional leap behind to the golden era of evolution in the Plus/4 demoscene, before the looming big crisis in the years 199x.

Welcome back Beast and Unreal, even though for a while. We've missed you, and you have reminded us that it's never never never too late!

Posted By

Ati
on 2014-02-13
04:59:39
 Re: Methabolix Anno 2014!

Huhh, anno Lavina showed this big dypp. I loved that, because it is very hard effect from 199x. Nice to see this new release!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-02-13
07:38:42

Did Lavina really have the same DYPP effect? I recall that there was a similar one in Unit 61, but it's not the same.

Otherwise I'm also very happy to watch a new demo wink That Flashback logo is especially awesome IMHO.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2014-02-14
04:07:52

IMHO all Commodore demos are missed work with pictures. I used CPC6128 at the late 80s. IMHO its CPU is only 10% faster than at C+4... I am very impressed by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJosZfm560Q

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-02-14
13:17:11

Yay for Methabolix dentro! Short as it is, it's a pleasure to have them back. The graphics are the usual Unreal quality, although I wish he had used more colors. But the 3 by 3 bobs screen seems recycled code to me (once Beast used something very similar with eyeballs, AFAIR), which is a bit of a letdown. But who am I to complain?

Litwr,

What are you talking about? What does it have to do with this little prod? And how is it related to these Commodore machines (C=16, C=116 and plus/4), if it is related at all?

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-02-14
13:55:32

gerliczer that's true, they released a similar fx in Syndrome. This dentro recovers some sparse fx in a brand new release, so this bobs parts looks like a little advancement of the earlier one, moving 16 non XORed bobs (hence +1).

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-02-14
15:58:45

Ah, yes! Syndrome. All those colors! That's one vivid experience for you! That's something we usually miss in demos for our platform. Save for the likes of Metamerism.

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-02-14
17:48:14

Yeah, Syndrome! I have never seen that one. A lot of well remade Amiga GFXs, and nice big chars, Logos.

Unreal has real talents to fully utilize the Plus/4 colors. (certainly Beast also has his talents, but GFX is closer to me happy )

Posted By

Litwr
on 2014-02-15
02:38:36

The floating big letters in Methabolix are very good. happy
gerliczer, sorry for the possible ignorance in this area, but I really missed even C64 demos with floating transformed pictures... Do they exist? I will be very thankful for the link.

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-02-16
02:20:10

I think Second Reality was a real one-to-one copy of the original Amiga demo, and it had one Though, the color palette is only 16 colors, not that much seen on the linked one. Nice big floating letters, picture magnifying and rotation, rubber picture are also there. Due to CPI limitation there the number of bobs and points also less, but well done.

Posted By

siz
on 2014-02-16
08:26:47

Second Reality is a PC DOS Demo from Future Crew, the winner of the Assembly '93 party. One of my favourites. wink And yes, the C64 conversion is surprisingly close to the original one.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024