Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

plus4incolour
on 2014-01-17
15:48:40
 TURBO ESPRIT where's it GONE????

TURBO ESPRIT... Where did the Plus/4 version go? I can't get it on Plus/4 World and emailed the distributor. They can't supply the game. It was a great game compared to the C64 version, which was rubbish! So does anyone knows where this has gone?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-01-18
00:59:37
 Re: TURBO ESPRIT where's it GONE????

As far as I'm aware it never made it to the 264 series.
Are you sure you're not thinking of the ZX Spectrum version?
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0005461

Or maybe the Amstrad Version.
http://www.amstradabandonware.com/en/gameitems/turbo-esprit/9955

Here's the C64 version (for reference) which you say it isn't the one you're looking for.
http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2724

They're the only 3 systems it came out on AFAIK. Otherwise it's a long shot, but maybe you're thinking of Death Race 16 ?

Posted By

plus4incolour
on 2014-01-18
05:12:56

TURBO ESPRIT was made for the Commodore Plus/4 by Durell. When Durell stopped doing games, they exist today, doing business software, but I have a Durell tape of the game which works, but would like a more modern copy. Does anyone know where the Commodore Plus/4 TURBO ESPRIT has vanished to now?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-01-18
13:16:21

Do you mean that Elite re-released it possibly on their budget label?

Can you take a photo of your cassette and cover that states it's for plus4? If there is indeed a plus4 version, are you able to do a .tap dump of it to upload?

I really haven't ever heard this game released for our systems. It's not even on the database. Does anyone else know of this?

Posted By

plus4incolour
on 2014-01-18
14:05:26

I think this TURBO ESPRIT needs putting on Plus/4 World. It's a great game! It was released under the ENCORE name after Durell stopped doing computer games. So I think this original Durell tape will be the source of the recovery of the C16/+4 version of TURBO ESPRIT. But the distributor were no help, as when trying to get it from them, they said they had it, but but couldn't supply it, which is pathetic. So I'll put TURBO ESPRIT on here next week.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-01-18
14:18:21

I'm now intrigued to see the cover, the cassette and indeed the game itself happy

Posted By

plus4incolour
on 2014-01-18
14:55:24

TURBO ESPRIT will be on Plus/4 World next week!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-01-18
15:37:19

I'm calling it now: this game never existed for Plus/4.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-01-18
15:51:18

As what I say. I'll just believe it when I see it.

Posted By

plus4incolour
on 2014-01-18
16:33:57

I have the original Durell cassette. This was purchased direct from DURELL SOFTWARE in TAUNTON, as I might have a word with DURELL. The game may still be with them and the distributor don't have it!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-01-18
17:51:22

If you have the cassette then surely you have the game. You say that the cassette works which means you must have tested it. I'm not sure what you mean by a modern copy, do you mean a downloadable version?

Are you able to post us some supporting evidence? Maybe a video of the game loading on a real plus4 and in action or photographs of the cassette and cover?

Posted By

plus4incolour
on 2014-01-18
19:35:41

I am copying the game onto CD, then sending it to you. This old Durell tape is a bit old. It works, but being 30 years old could break, so I'll try to get a MASTER DISK from Durell, as the distributor are no help. It's gotta be recovered as the graphics on the C64 version of TURBO ESPRIT were shit, compared to the Plus/4 version.

Posted By

George
on 2014-01-18
21:41:49

Post a photo of the cassette here.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-01-18
22:03:48

Well while there's no evidence we will stay on the assumption that the game never existed for the C16/Plus4.

If it makes you feel any better, I have seen adverts before in a home shopping catalogue in 1985 with photos of Ocean game covers with the Commodore 16 logo emblazoned across the top of them which looked really cool, of games which never materialised, they just said Release Date TBA underneath them. They were Daley Thompson's Decathlon & Roland's Rat Race. They were never advertised in magazines, certainly not as Decathlon before it became Star Events. My evidence of those two titles are as good as yours right now unless I can find this elusive catalogue which is why they're not listed here on the database as GTW's (Games That Weren't). Yet I distinctively remember seeing these two C16 game outlay covers like it was only yesterday, but it means nothing without evidence.

So proof or it never happened wink

Posted By

Lavina
on 2014-01-19
05:59:47

It would be a miracle if we'd all have missed this piece for decades. I'd be very surprised. Nobody has ever heard of it.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-01-19
07:15:37

Csabo any idea if the IP address of the poster is the same as the last clown?

Sixteen Plus, if you see anymore crap like this that does not make any scene then don't feed it. Your wasting your time.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-01-19
08:44:46

Close to the one who posted under ATVNETWORK: http://plus4world.powweb.com/forum/26418

I'm 99% sure this is a troll (and yes, they should not be fed happy), I just don't "get it". What's the joke? What's the payoff? When we hear something like this, we'll just go "meh". I'd love to be proven wrong and having to apologize happy

Posted By

Lavina
on 2014-01-19
10:21:59

I'd like to make an autopsy on a Troll to see what makes it tick.

Actually being an 8bit Troll would be a very rare kind of Troll (crossplatform knowledge, etc.) and the only one I knew was (were?) Korak! :D

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-01-19
10:52:02

Well it's always worth quickly putting it to the test to quickly dispel it. You never know one day.
In this case again it's become quickly apparent that it is a troll. Beats me what lol's he gets from it though, it's not like it's even a legendary game

Posted By

Lavina
on 2014-01-19
11:08:58

Is it the same author:

SEGA

Maybe you could ban that IP range for good. wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-01-19
11:16:59

Has to be, the timeline is too close together. Bit of a strange oddball thing to do though.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-01-19
15:58:55

I know your all for being helpful Sixteen Plus but sadly this guy was playing the jerk from the off. Normally genuine people will not post in such a manor. As you know they normally ask for something such as a file, maybe a link to something they are looking for or any help ect... long before asking where has something gone with question marks. You think of the amount of noobs over the years on Lemon64, none have posted in such as way.

I'm sure deep down you knew better, your just too kind. wink

If any file had to be taken down then that pages item would be still listed on the site by name "only" as it's a data entry so will never be wiped off the site.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-01-19
19:20:59

Too kind? No, just making sure.

First post yeah I thought it was a genuine cry out but just got the wrong system. This also occasionally happens on Lemon64 when someone genuinely recalls a game only to find out it was for the C16/+4 (it happened once), Atari 800 or Amiga etc. That's why I put in the links for the Speccy and Amstrad versions.

It was only after that with the following confused post that the suspicions immediately aroused. I mean nobody could be that dim. He has a working copy of the game cassette but he doesn't have the game?... Well I basically just challenged for proof or it never existed and left it at that.

Maybe a whole bunch of them are having a right giggle somewhere but it's just too oddball to be funny, like it just leaves me thinking 'OK......'

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024