Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-11-30
16:31:30
 Better Colors In "Town"

Ghost Town [PAL/NTSC] Ghost Town [PAL/NTSC]Yes you're right, it's a C16 classic. And again: yes we understand it should be considered perfect as it has ever been. But everything can be improved, you know...

Kichy of Assassins crew just liked this Kingsoft's famous arcade/adventure game, but he dislikes how some assigned colours have been set along the screens. Hence, it's a change for a rerelease, with better colours and, why not, PAL/NTSC compatibility as addon!
Et voilĂ , release achieved! Ghost Town [PAL/NTSC]. Download it and enjoy the old classic in a brand new guise in palette!

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-11-30
16:36:19
 Re: Better Colors In "Town"

It's cool Kichy has gone with a neat "night time" look for the game so it looks colder and more of a grave yard feel to it but I still think the original is the better to look at.

Kicky's bricks look smart tho. happy

Would only be fair to rate it the same as the original so that's what I did. 8/10.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-11-30
16:35:20

Is it Christmas already? happy This last month plus a little had a nice bunch of releases. Yay!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-11-30
17:00:42

Wow, it does look nice. Well done, another unexpected surprise! And of course it still runs on a 16K stock machine.

I don't want to take anything away from the value of it, just wondering out loud: would both the German and English versions fit into the memory as well? That would have been the ultimate release happy

And yeah, early Christmas for us... But I have a feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet wink Let the good times roll on Plus/4 World happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2013-12-01
03:33:29

Shoot me but I like the new colours more happy I'm under the impression that Udo was still experimenting a bit with the C16's palette when Ghost Town was made. It was his first C16 game after all... there are a lot of games suffering from a palette problem. Just think of Solar software's early VIC20 ported games though those are not quite worth fixing wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-12-01
06:15:27

There is a charm to both Ghost Town and Tom Thumb in the original colour palettes that capture a certain quality of that era. It's not a unique thing to C16/Plus4 but they are based on early style of C64 game looks. I can't put it into words but for me the original colours are spot on of the time and I bet they are based very closely to the C64's limited palette.

The extra amount of colours 264's have does not mean a thing with both these games when they were made as they were always going to look this way for a reason when Udo made them.

That's why I love them for what they are. It's not only the game play but how they look.

I still gave Kichy's an 8/10 as I did the original. Maybe do what Csabo said, make it both English & German if it can be done, lose the new "intro screen" if you have too as the font does not suit the rest of the game. Or create a D64 that contains German, English and Hungarian versions. Some one make a nice loading screen based on Anco's cover of Ghost Town! wink

Posted By

Chronos
on 2013-12-01
12:45:18

i think the original just plain ugly, so thumbs up for this release!

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-12-01
18:29:45

sorry guys, i hate the original pinks! So as the game remains the same playability, if the original was 8, this is clearly a 10. Just look at the main character... I suppose too limited total palette accross screen caused original strangeness, but come on, it is a ghost town, and not a lollipot filled my little pony town happy Kichy is a really brave guy to touch such a classic, and congrats to the corrected game!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2013-12-02
17:21:23

I think what MIK was trying to explain is that - regardless of the quality of any palettes - the nostalgia factor is clearly associated with the original "untouched" pink scheme... which is of course true!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024