Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-07-11
19:08:36
 Elite: a ruthless comparision

A user posted this very interesting video that compares Elite version Plus/4 (Csory) Vs. C64 Vs. C128 (Mode 64). Do you see the blackbox taking off and flying away? wink

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-07-12
05:51:38
 Re: Elite: a ruthless comparision

Yes, the Plus/4 version seems to run a little bit faster than the 128 which in turn is a little bit faster than the 64. Although it is a little bit off topic here, it would be interesting to see how does other 8 bit versions, like ZX Spectrum, CPC, whatever else, compare to these.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-07-12
12:45:55

It's a good idea, but I have to say not very good execution. 2 minutes of the ships spinning, no text or notes or speech or sound... The ships don't start from the same position... A proper comparison would have done that, and even better would have been to time how long (in frames) it takes to do one full rotation on each system, so there would be some concrete numbers. As it is, it just "feels" faster.

Agree with Rafi that seeing it on the other systems would have been a good idea as well.

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-07-12
14:12:12

In the past I checked Elite different versions on Youtube. ZX Spectrum version looks a little more stuttering, similar to C64 level. I was a little surprised, as it runs on 3.5MHz, but we all know that our fav 6502 roots seems run more efficient (BTW eZ80 seems to catch up 10 yeras later, at 1Mhz simiar speed az usual Z80 with 4MHz).
Surprisingly SAM Coupe (run almost 100% ZX Spectrum identical code) did not benefit too much from the 6MHz Z80B processor, almost the same speed as ZX Spectrum, though does not run in emulation mode. It is mainly due to wait cycles of CPU to video processor (erh, I have never heard about such bad design effect yet, hehe happy )

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-07-12
18:19:10

If Mercenary runs faster on Plus/4 which it does than C64 then good chance other wire frame games will too... if they are coded well enough in the first place.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024