Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-05-19
15:03:38
 Loading hi-res full-screen pictures on C16?

Yo,

I put this question into the C16 forum but it seems dead (veeeeeery sadly) -

But maybe I made something wrong? GRAPHIC1 command worked on any 264 machine with 64K of ram but maybe there is another way to load and display 320/200 colourful pictures into unexpanded C16?

Seems like the standard hires picture with many colours takes 10 050 bytes.
So theoretically it should load into C16?
Or maybe there is some method to load it from FDD directly to video-ram (on-screen) without touching other, 'normal' RAM?

Greetzzzzzzzz,
Yerz

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-05-20
03:26:32
 Re: Loading hi-res full-screen pictures on C16?

Your hr bitmap has to stay in the interval $1800-$3F40:
- $1800-$1BE7: luminance for both colors
- $1BE8-$1BFF: unused
- $1C00-$1FE7: color for both colors
- $1FE8-$1FFF: unused
- $2000-$3F40: bitmap

Beware: if you first load the bitmap, then type in a BASIC stuff, probably the graphics gotta be pushed forward in memory...

A pretty nice example: Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Kichy.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2013-05-20
14:44:28

C16 doesn't have special video RAM. All RAM is shared between CPU and TED. This makes CPU slower but allows to load picture directly to RAM from disk or cassette (GRAPHIC1:LOAD"PIC",8,1). The size of C+4 picture maybe more than 40 KB (http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47356).

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-05-21
14:59:21

well, not ewactly. When you switch on graphic on c16, the usable Ram goes to 2kb only, but in my childhood i managed to create a drawing prg within this. Plus/4 and c16 gfx are exactly the same. A standard hires or multicolor gfx takes on a d64 dics exactly 40blocks, that is 10kb ram. If it starts at $1800, You can load it from basic without issues. Within basic prg you should take care that prg will restart after load command, so setting A to 1 before load, then checking if you are after a load (GOTO switching to gfx) will solve your issue. Check GYURUK URA basic game for example in Emu first! I will check if Botticelli (my fav) is saving standard format? Btw FLI and other spec form may significantly increase size, and may not fit into 16kb, but never tested...

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-05-22
04:27:26

Aha. Sounds pretty complex. wink

OK, thx guys.

I will also check in some occasion the GRAPHIC1:LOAD"PIC",8,1 syntax.

Greetzzzz,
Y

Posted By

Litwr
on 2013-05-22
15:01:53

To save picture use
MONITOR
S"PIC",8,1800,3f40
X

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-05-23
04:02:08

Litwr: thx a lot dude.

MMS:

> When you switch on graphic on c16, the usable Ram goes to 2kb only,
-----------
Ooh, really?
So if I would like to force wink some friends of mine who code 6502 to make for me a small idiotic oldschool demo for 16K, with a 320/200 colour pic + music (maybe a guy could make some SID track for me) and a scroll - it would be actually impossible to make?
(I currently make kind of this stuff for Spectrum16, hence the idea).

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-05-23
10:19:39
 Spectrum16 like demo

Hi YERZMYEY,

A simple single part intro you mentioned is certainly possible. The memory areas BASIC occupies can be used in a machine code program so a bit less than 6kB are available for music with player and scrolling code plus scroll text. The scroll will probably be limited to use the ROM charset though.

Posted By

George
on 2013-05-23
15:24:14

Perhaps you find this interesting too:
http://plus4world.powweb.com/plus4encyclopedia/500234

With this basicode you can place smaller bitmaps at any characterposition in basic.
Took me a lot of researche and help from our freinds here to realize this.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-05-23
15:29:38

T A O R and Ocean I have exact features mentioned above, both run on C16. So definitely not impossible, or even particularly hard.

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2013-05-23
18:27:23

Many thanks guys.

I'm asking because I made 2 pictures for AROK (I still don't know if anybody will be able to pick me up from the Budapest but I sent the pictures by e'mail and organizers accepted them although they're crap wink so if I can't reach the party-place, then the 'remote entries' are still acceptable happy ), and I wanted to test my the newest machine - C=16 - so I also wanted to load there one of those pictures and I found I can't do it with the standard commands (out of RAM).

So now I know it's is normally possible and maybe I will ask some friends of mine to construct a small stupid oldschool demo, hehehe (of course not for the AROK anyway wink ).

Another thing is, how to prepare SID music for 264, but probably for this one I'll have to establish a different thread.

Thanks again!! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024