Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-27
 Plus4IDE

I guess it's time for me to write one of those topics that will sit here unanswered (like "Forum Changes" and "Tools Section" below). So I've re-released this tool. If anyone still remembers, it was up on my old "plus4.homepage.com" site, but when that site went down, I never put it up again. I had virtually no feedback on it back then, except for SVS.

Still it's here again, with bugfixes and help. I find it useful, when I have time, it's easy to load it up and start writing code.

Okay everyone, listen up, I'm going to make a promise. From now on, all of my releases related to the Plus/4 (whether Windows or Plus/4 programs) will be released with full source code. I'm not even going to worry about all that GPL stuff. If you want it, it's there, rip it apart, do whatever, I don't mind. That's my pledge to the 'community'.

Of course the source for the IDE is up. The four 1K games were developed in this IDE as well. And yes, I will release the source for all of them. Why, you ask? Why not? I think it really, really sucks when things end up like WinEMU and Artifex. Why to put in all this effort, if it dies away, and there is no-one to pick up the pieces? I want to release my sources, because (I hope) someone can learn from them, or someone can make them better. In Hungarian there is saying "More eyes can see more" (több szem többet lát). That's the idea here. Maybe others will follow.

Posted By

Thomas
on 2002-09-27
 (no topic)

Great! :D
I guess I'll have a look into that IDE as soon as I have some spare time. happy
I wanted to start programming for the Plus/4 anyway. happy
Could you tell me where I can find all instructions/opcodes for the Plus/4? Or other helpful stuff for assembly programming? I don't really now where to start...
...I have some minor assembly experience (I know what registers are, what 'mov' means... wink ), but I don't know where to begin. happy

- Wait a second. Have you just told me that the work on WinEMU has been stopped?? *looks at the website* It seems so... more than a year has passed since the last update...
Oh no. That mustn't be true. It is one of my favourite emulators. I prefer it even over Minus4w for some games. It has some really great features, like digitized colors, for example: they look much more realistic than the calculated ones the other emulators use. And it runs under Win98 just perfectly. I hoped Zsolt would improve the sound routines some time, and it would have been next to perfect.

- Tell me that I misunderstood you!! wink

Greetings,
Lord Voldemort

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-27
 Replies

What part of "unanswered" did you not understand wink But seriously, I don't know if WinEMU or Artifex is "officially" abandoned. WinEMU hasn't been updated in over a year, artifex hasn't been updated in 6 months. The author hasn't posted anything on any of the known Plus/4 forums since. That's a pretty long time.

The opcodes are included with Plus4IDE. Just type any instruction (e.g LDA) and press F1 while the cursor is over it. Or just simply open the supplied "opcodes.htm" file.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2002-09-28
 OFF: Emulator colors

A few notes about the colors in emulators: tour statement is not true: other emu's (such as Artifex, MESS and Yape) also contain digitised palettes. Moreover in Yape:

• the digitised color palette is basically similar to that of WinEMU

• the calculated palette is rather flexible, it allows you to play a bit with color
    characteristics as saturation for example. Try to adjust it according to your likes and I think it won't disappoint you... You can even save those settings to the ini file.

Just my 2 cents wink

Posted By

Thomas
on 2002-09-28
 (no topic)

@Attila: oh, I'm really sorry, you're of course right! happy
To be honest, I don't know Artifex and MESS at all, and I've mainly used WinEMU so far. I've tested Minus4 and Yape as well, but it seems not thoroughly enough. wink
So please forget my statement. happy

By the way: Yape 0.40 and 0.41 both crash my Windows 98 SE when I switch to fullscreen!
I just wanted to have a closer look at the new 0.41, but it doesn't run on my system.
Maybe under Windows 2000, but I almost don't use it at all, and I would have to reboot every time.

@Csabo: I thought you meant you expected this posting to be unanswered, not that you wanted it to be unanswered. wink Sorry...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2002-09-28
 Oops, does not run on Win98?

Hmm... could you tell me what the symptoms are when trying to run Yape 0.41 on Win98? Until v0.40 Yape had been developed on Win98, I've just switched over to Win2000... It seems strange...

Posted By

Mike
on 2002-09-29
 (no topic)

This looks cool Csabo!! I did start looking at something like this, but my time being as pressed as it is, I never managed to get very far... The one feature I was really after, was a transfer+run on the plus4, using a transfer cable. Not to disk....but the actual machine. Then do a mini debugger. Then we'd have a full devkit!

I still have the cable somewhere.... I can't rememebr who I got it from... I think it was Solder...

The old devkit I did using TASM and MINUS4dos allowed source level debugging... are there any symbol files output that we can add support for?

Anyway...Once the downloads are up again (just getting errors on it just now) I'll go and look at at! Way to go dude!

Posted By

SVS
on 2002-09-29
 [Attila] Only to tell you

that Yape 0.41 works well on my PC with Win98 SE happy
Greetz.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-29
 Plus4IDE Mirror

Mike (and everyone): you can grab Plus4IDE from here:

ftp://c64.rulez.org/pub/plus4/Tools/plus4ide.zip

I checked our ftp, the files are there (I could download it through FTP). I don't understand why they are unaccessible through HTTP. Anyway, now we have the above mirror.

Also, if anyone had problems getting it to run, try copying the cmax20.ocx file into your WINDOWSSYSTEM folder.

Posted By

Luca
on 2002-09-29
 The right folder

Csabo,
I renamed that file and moved into /Tools/PC/ folder as:
ftp://c64.rulez.org/pub/plus4/Tools/PC/Plus4_IDE.zip

Ok?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-29
 Sure

That's where I wanted to put it originally, but it gave me an "access denied", so I just dumped it into tools. Thanks! Did you try it though? No-one has even commented on my little sample scroller yet...

Posted By

Thomas
on 2002-09-29
 Yape crashes Win98 SE - symptoms

Both Yape 0.40 and Yape 0.41 crash my Windows 98 SE when I switch to fullscreen, as I wrote.
The screen is mainly black (completely black in the lower 90% of the screen), with some short, vertical, irregularly dotted, coloured lines at the top of the screen (can't describe it exactly, since I don't want to crash my Windows again wink ). The system doesn't respond to anything (task switch, task manager, start menu, warm reset, nothing!).
It doesn't matter if I enable "Use GDI" or not.

My system runs fine and stable with current games, for example the UT 2003 demo, Soldier of Fortune II, stuff like that.

Details:
Athlon Thunderbird 1400B
384 MB SDR-RAM @133 (CL2)
Epox 8KTA+ (KT133)
Creative Labs Soundblaster Live! Player 1024
AOpen GeForce2 Ti 64 MB with Detonator 23.11
DirectX 8.1
Windows 98 Second Edition
...and muuuch more stuff I won't list now. wink

Posted By

Thomas
on 2002-09-29
 (no topic)

OK, I crashed my system one more time in order to be able to describe the screen better. wink
There are more than 50 vertical, dark green (?) lines at the top of the otherwise black screen, several centimeters in height (19" monitor), with probably one pixel width (don't know what screen mode you're using there, it looks like 320x???).
At the left sides of these green lines there are several coloured pixels, all in the column next to the green line.
Damn, it's hard to explain...

- Ah, I closed all background tasks (that I could close), by the way. So the crashes are not related to them.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-29
 Screen mode

I think it could be the video mode. YAPE uses 400x300 (if I'm not mistaken). Can your monitor take that video mode? (Some can't.)

Posted By

Mike
on 2002-10-02
 cool!

Just had a look.... dead smart Csabo... Can I request a couple of things.. (I don't have VB installed anymore)...

1) an F7 compile and show errors etc... (rather than just compile+run)

2) Split windows???????????????? I currently use Codewrite, (Brief for all you old DOS guys).. and the window splitting is great.

3) Book marks. Another Brief feature...ALT+number place bookmark, Then ALT-J, then a number to jump to it (or control-number?) dead handy too...

4) Next window "ALT-N", Last window "ALT-Minus"

5) can we get all freatures on keys... comment block on say "ALT->" and uncomment on "ALT-<" ???

6) Insert a function header? i.e.

; *****************************************************************
;
; Name:
; Fuction:
;
; In:
; out:
;
; *****************************************************************

These are things I use all the time in Codewrite..

I take it you don't control Cut and Paste?

It looks great though.... I'll look at the source level debugging thing, as I see it has an output option for that... Source level debugging is well cool.. happy

Posted By

Mike
on 2002-10-02
 And....

...I need to be able to change the Assembler. I use TASM, since it has good macro usage. AS65 has no macros at all!

I know this would be a problem though... since youd have to code the error output for each one.... and ideas?

Posted By

BushRat
on 2002-10-02
 Wow.. what happened to the stone-agers

IDE looks nice... thanks!
I just remembered being from the stoneage when we were stuck with line-by-line ml programming. That wasn't really a badge of honor, especially when you were dealing with ml routines of 4-15k. That was simple S&M. Thnks for the assemblers, guys!

Posted By

MC
on 2002-10-03
 AP4

Anyone seen my Assembler for +4?
Here's a link: http://elvtars.hu/timna/pub/ap4v100.zip
See the readme file for further information.

Posted By

Thomas
on 2002-10-03
 Screen mode in YAPE

Hi Csabo,

I'm sure my monitor can handle that. And the system wouldn't crash if only the monitor couldn't handle it.
Perhaps my graphics card/graphics device driver/Windows can't handle it, but I don't know how to find that out...

Posted By

Mike
on 2002-10-04
 Assembler...

Always good to have another assembler around happy
I take it theres no macros in this one?

I actually have one too.... but Ive still to add macros as well... One day... I'll finish it

Posted By

SVS
on 2002-10-04
 [MC] I'm not able to connect to that link :(

to download your Assembler. Could you check it and reply here? happy
Thank you!

Posted By

Mike
on 2002-10-04
 SNASM

Heres the basics from mine...

; Comment till end of line

ORG - No forward referencing allowed.
END - end of source file.

DB ,"String",...
DW ,
DS - reserve space

Label[:] equ
Label[:] set - can be redefined
Label[:] rb - reserve byte
Label[:] rw - reserve word

Label[:] - Set to current PC
@Label[:] - Local labels. Set to current PC,Valid until next "Label[:]"
RSSET [Expression] - if no expression, defaults to 0
INCLUDE - include a file for assembly
INCBIN - include a raw file

MESSAGE "Text",Expression,[...] - Like a BASIC print statement
MESSAGE 0 - Prints 0
MESSAGE "L1:",L2," L2:,L3 - Print L1: [Label] L2: [Label]

IF condition - Conditional assembly
ENDIF - End conditional assembly

Posted By

Mike
on 2002-10-04
 His assembler...

Link worked fine for me... Looks okay.... funny ORG directives though wink

Posted By

WebSpezi
on 2002-10-04
 Plus4IDE on www.c16.de?

Hi Csabo,

your Plus4IDE is really great stuff. We would offer it to download on www.c16.de, if thats no problem for you. Perhaps, so it may find a long spreading in the community.

What do you think about this suggestion?

Greetings from Germany,
Webspezi

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-10-29
 Sources released

Like I said in the first post in this thread ("And yes, I will release the source for all of them."), the sources are now up for grabs.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024