Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-24
10:04:58
 Last level in International Karate

I'm quite sure, even checking into the code, that International Karate can't be finished (1 player Vs. computer of course) due to a code hack unexplainably put there from the author that prevents the collision from the opponent's side. Keep in count that a real ending exists.
Can you confirm this?

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-24
18:43:28
 Re: Last level in International Karate

Unless the .tap I originally made is bad?

This is like asking some one to wash up or peal potatoes... do I have to really play it again!!!

I can't remember either. I know I played it with my younger brother and when ever testing I put it into two player mode just to make sure the last stage would load, even the .tap I'm sure.

Anyone else up for the challenge? grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-24
19:37:51

Checked that too: the D64 and PRG hacks act like the TAP does.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-24
21:16:49

umm... Half wave.

Just played it now and even tho I won many times over it would not load past stage 3, Japan or China stage graphics. Trying again with another 1531.

If you hold Fire down, push the stick to 10 O'Clock so he jumps towards the other guy 4 times and then keep fire held down and press down he will punch backwards and then punch forwards into the guy for an easy hit every time!! Easy to win without ever being hit...

EDIT:
Same result again. Soon as I win the 3 rounds in a row on stage 3 you get the Match Over message and does not load the final stage. I just tried the .TAP and the same thing happens with that so the game is broken as a single player game before you even get to the final stage. It just ends on Stage 3 no matter how many times you win!

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-25
03:12:20

MIK: unregarding the instructions written on the back of the cover (which look like they're from c64 version because they also cite the dodging of flying objects in a bonus game), you probably need a higher score to go further in the 1 player game. You can go in the YAPE monitor and type >23 99 99 to get the maximum score and you'lll pass level 3, or try using the cheats I added yesterday even for level 3, and verify the lack of collisions in the 4th level.

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-25
05:36:13

Maybe it was intended and changed to be like this as if some difficulty curve, it is the final stage and no where else to go? Not much of a game really so why not hold people back from seeing the last winning message? wink

I'm scoring well over 5000 points doing it cheap without being hit, some times full point, others times half point but I still win the 2 full points per rouind lol. Yeah I had to double check in the manual and indeed it says win 2 full points for the next stage to load. This works fine on the first 2 stages any way.

I'll have a look again to see if I can work out a way to score more, limited time makes that hard when with the jump over 4 times & stomach punch trick you can get 3 hits per round guaranteed.

I take it you do get Match Over on the final stage, you just can't win? Just so I know if I get there...

Posted By

Chronos
on 2013-03-25
06:57:40

Some kind of copyright protection? grin

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-03-25
08:39:33

Finally!!

The last level loaded just messing about! Stage 3 the computer even had the last hit and my score was not even good! Honest!

On the last level yes you can not hit the computer. Even with my trusted guaranteed moves to get a hit, I created another as well does not make any impact. This was using the real tape on my real Commodore C16.

One small issue.. GFX bug haha! I can play it but does not make any contact with the computer.

So yeah YAPE does not lie. I believe even with the GFX bug on my machine from head alignment to the tape being out you are correct Luca. happy
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-03-25
10:40:20

MIK, thanks for your time spent in attempting to finish the game.

This is my hypothesis: the author had though he can modify the game's difficulty either with different enemy's habit and with a more strict collision, and that's the main reason why the code changes level by level. In the program "Player 1 Level 4" he has probably set off some collisions by filling with $FF values some areas of the environment's conditions table, and he'd accidentally deleted a further value he didn't have to.

In facts, you can fix this bug adding the missing value in the checktable with:
>211F 07

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024