Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

bubis
on 2012-11-07
15:04:11
 Any Android developers around?

How about porting Yape SDL 0.32 or Plus4Emu (also SDL) to Android? happy

Also, shouldn't be too difficult to port an assembler to Android, and viola, we have a dev env in our pocket. I don't know how about you, but I commute 1h+ daily on average. That's substantial time I could spend on demo coding .... happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-11-07
16:43:17
 Re: Any Android developers around?

If someone donates me an Android phone, I shall happy Just for kicks I have installed the Android SDK but the phone emulator sucks horse arses... :-/

Posted By

bubis
on 2012-11-08
05:17:13

It should be enough for some initial testing I think, as plenty of developers using it, and there are other emus around as well, like bluestacks.
I am rather thinking of using an Android tablet, like Kindle Fire or the Google one. I can lend it to you as soon as I have one to test the port on a real thing.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-11-08
16:07:47

When I said it sucks I meant it does not even boot up on my Asus 1215B which is a relatively powerful netbook. I have read it can take up to 1-2 hours... and it is prone to crash. But I kinda see that a generic java version could be created first.

Bluestacks? How does that integrate with Eclipse? Can it do source level debugging? Ideally, the best would be one with Visual Studio integration but those usually cost a fortune

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-11-09
02:22:36

I would read reviews online before you buy anything with Android on it as some things have a stripped down version of it. Acer Notebooks do or once used it, again a cut down version the critics said was not even worth using. Then again a notebook running Windows 7 is more than fast enough to run the normal PC version of Yape maxed out better and faster than your average Pentium IV Tower based system using XP. wink

Posted By

register
on 2012-11-09
14:20:31

GAIA: the emulator is much better than a real android phone for development purposes. It is quicker and handier then debuggig on a phone, believe me.

Posted By

siz
on 2012-11-10
01:42:37

I used to develop for Android as well but I lack the free time for anything else than work and family. Mostly even for family.
Believe me: Android emulator is a useless crap. For a recent version of Android it does not even start or when it starts it will take a long time to boot in and it's very unresponsive after startup too.
Bluestacks may be a better choice but I did not try it with Eclipse (I seem to remember the time I tried Bluestacks beta it appeared as an emulator in the device list so probably that one will work)

Posted By

bubis
on 2013-04-03
10:28:03

@Gaia: I only used Bluestacks to check and see what is an Android tablet like. I don't see any sign of dev env support on their site.

@siz: Come on! With your experience it shouldn't take more than a few hours to port a SDL C++ app to Android. It doesn't have to be polished and sexy, just get it working!
Forget beer and friends for a while, and port one of the available open source SDL emus to Android please!

Meanwhile: It turned out that you can actually run Debian and Ubuntu on Android using the Android kernel, so in theory I only need a linux port. I haven't checked this in Android emulator yet. Will let you know when I did.

UPDATE:
- I have my own Android device now I can experiment with: Asus Nexus 7.
- Found a promissing app that supports bash, gcc 4.4 (arm-eabi), make, java: Terminal IDE
- Also found Sand IDE that supports Java.

So, should be relatively easy to compile any asm compiler and other tools (exomizer, etc.) for Android that have c++/java source even on the very machine!

Things to explore:
- Checking out if AnVice experimental build already supports Plus/4 (found a minute ago): http://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/files/experimental%20binaries/
- Compiling YAPE SDL for Android
- Compiling Plus4Emu SDL for Android

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-04-03
12:12:48

"I heartly endorse this event or product."

But seriously, whoop-whoop, go team, let's do it guys, here's to hoping that something will come out of this.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2013-04-03
13:07:42

Yape for android will be tha shiiit! grin

Posted By

bubis
on 2013-04-03
14:29:23

My goal is to have a usable dev env on Android with make, gcc, java, asl, exomizer and some level of Plus/4 emu. I think AnVice already counts as such an emu.

I will probably not spend too much time on porting Yape or Plus4Emu if AnVice works fine for me, BUT I am ready to lend my device to Gaia to help him porting YAPE!

BTW, these devices are really cheap now, so bankers, actuaries and IT professionals should really buy their own device. Attila, are you listening? grin

Posted By

Gaia
on 2013-04-03
17:27:16

Has someone just said "actuary"?? grin Beware of them!

Posted By

bubis
on 2013-04-17
05:21:15

Progress:

Found another interestig IDE: CCTools. Altough the tool itself is not the greates IDE, it seems to have a proper gcc 4.7 tool chain! I managed to compile & run my trickies data+code generator/optimizer c++ code without any issues! Loaded the Makefile, clicked build and worked!

The tool downloads the toolchain when it's first started, it's about 30M. The zips are stored in the CCTools/backup dir along with the example files (in CCTools/Examples), so I assume it can be reused in other tools like Terminal IDE.

Promissing!

UPDATE:
Yes, it's just unpacking the zips in Terminal IDE's home dir, adding cctools/bin to the $PATH, and chmod +x all the executables there.
I am very close to compile exomizer. :)

Oh yes, and with a few quirks AnVice works fine with SID support + CRT + true drive emu.
It's not as good as Yape or Plus4Emu of course. ;)

UPDATE:
I've compiled ASL!!! I only had to add a few lines to sysdefs.h for Android and it compiled.
I can develop for Plus/4 on the go using my tablet now!

UPDATE:
I managed to compile ca65 and ld65 (assembler and linker) of CC65 v2.13.3.
I still have difficulties compiling exomizer.

UPDATE:
Compiled exomizer too, including exobasic and exoraw.

UPDATE:
Managed to build and run one of my unreleased effects (it's "Layers" for those who have seen the preview) on the tablet. It has a very complex precalc + code/data optimization part written in C++.
Tools used: make, asl (v1.42bld88), g++ (v4.7), exomizer (v2.0.6)

Clean build on my PC: 3m42s
Clean build on Nexus 7: 7m6s

UPDATE:
I can confirm that ca65+ld65 works fine too. I've compiled my Daily 128 byte intro package that uses this compiler without any problems.

UPDATE:
Although I don't see that many people are interested, I am planning to release an Android ARM 6502 dev pack that will include instructions and executables (asl, ca65/ld65, exomizer) and probably example projects that will help you to start developing for any MOS 6502 based platform on the go.

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-04-17
05:24:57

A friend of mine has just given to me his old Samsung I9000 cause he bought a newer one. So, I'm interested for sure happy

Posted By

bubis
on 2013-04-17
05:38:16

Cool! You will be my test team as always! happy
You can start with installing Terminal IDE, and CCTools. That's essential. Terminal IDE will be the dev env (at least for compiling). It's perfect for Java, but CCTools has better c++ support, so I prefer using its toolchain and compiler in TIDE. (This is only required for precalc stuff.)
I am planning to write an install script that does the rest, including downloading the rest of the 6502 tools, and setting them up.

But hey, doesn't the Samsung I900 come with Windown Mobile installed?

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-04-17
05:44:17

I'm very proud to say: I know nothing about smartphones in general happy I'm so ignorant that yesterday I've been literally taken by hand into a mall in order to buy the right card for it grin

Posted By

bubis
on 2013-04-17
05:49:55

Phones are just computers. Smartphones are just a bit smarter computers. wink

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-04-17
06:54:12

...wives are just shoes-loving computers...?

Posted By

bubis
on 2013-05-02
05:41:11

That's a philosophical question. No, I don't think so.
But phones are really just computers.

UPDATE:

I have ported yet another assembler, probably the most powerful for 6502 development: Kick Assembler 3.27 (it lucks the gif/jpg import feature at the moment, but I am working on the fix.)

I have also ported Pucrunch.

I am at the final stage of preparing the first release of my Android 6502 ARM dev pack. I am adding examples and docs to it at the moment and finalizing the install script. It will download and install the 6502 specific packages from the internet, and it will be able to install/update new packages/versions by running an update script.

I will need test users with ARM based Android devices!

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-05-02
09:56:33

I admit I'm not able to catch in the air all the signals you're launching, because I'm not a developer. But for what I caught, this will allow us to do "somthing retro" on" something adroid-ish". So, keep up the great work grin

Posted By

bubis
on 2013-05-02
10:41:05

Hi Luca,

You will be able to use the following tools on most ARM based Android devices:

- All what Terminal IDE gives you (required to install), that is briefly
* lots of standard unix commands
* bash
* make
* java, javax, jar, dx

- GCC 4.7 (stolen from CCTools, that is required to install), i.e. you have C++ for precalc, etc.

And the commandline tools I ported to Android:

- ASL assembler, see here: http://plus4world.powweb.com/tools/ASL
- CC65 assembler and linker, see here: http://plus4world.powweb.com/tools/CC65
- KickAssember (probably the best of its kind), see here: http://www.theweb.dk/KickAssembler/
- Exomizer 2.0.7
- Pucrunch 1.14

And you have the latest x64 and xplus4 from the AnVice experimental ARM build.

What else do you need to do cross dev for 6502 on the go?

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-01-12
19:17:59

Recentl I read about a new Android emulator for PC (Windows).
As it is told, much faster than the Bluestacks one, as runs natively on PC.

Check this out (video on the lnnked page you can download the prg):
http://www.socketeq.com/

Benefit:
very fast Android developing platform and can utilize PC's strong HW acceleration.
http://www.socketeq.com/web_documents/Windroy.pdf

I should test it on my other PC, this one (connected to Internet) still runs Win XP...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-02-23
15:26:29

Good news! There is hope. I am currently in the process of porting YapeSDL from SDL 1.2 to 2.0 and found out that SDL 2.0 actually supports Android natively which means that once I'm finished (well, IF I'm finished) a straight port will be much easier. Don't hold your breath though happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2015-02-24
08:00:48

Go Attila go!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-02-24
12:46:06

Yeah, that is indeed good news. I think asking us NOT to hold our breaths is useless though wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-04-07
17:59:51

....aaaand the wait is over (see: YapeSDL). All we need is someone with enough experience with porting native code to Android using SDL2 happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024