Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-30
13:02:19
 Intruder Adventure +4 (scrapped)

My first C64 conversion for our system. Well we all have to start somewhere happy

It's another basic text adventure, originally published by Cascade in Feb, 1984. This one uses the standard commodore character set for the graphics.

Download Link: http://www.2shared.com/file/qomNZXzC/intruder_adv_4.html

GB64 Page: http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=11155&d=18&h=0

Intruder Adventure +4 Screenshot

I took Mik's advice with the poke colour codes, well this game is full of them. It's a strange listing for a commercially released adventure game as it uses no data statements. Very few commands and the direction locations are a bit odd that if you go try back to the room you were in previously, it takes you somewhere else.

Anyway, it's definitely not Ace. But hope you enjoy this ummm, oddity anyway happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-07-28
20:39:17
 Re: Intruder Adventure +4

Hey, you're a Plus/4 coder now happy

It's a good start, but needs a bit of work. First of all, this piece of code should be added to every C64 BASIC conversion if it uses the PRINT color codes:

1 FORI=0TO15:READV:POKE275+I,V:NEXTI:DATA 0,113,50,83,52,79,46,103,56,41,66,49,65,111,70,81

(It can be entered in one line, just use the abbreviations for the BASIC commands.) To see what difference it makes, load and run Resident Evil 2 for example, in the original, the colors are wrong, but if this line is entered, everything will look right.

Anyway, back to this game: looks like several of the colors are off... Load the C64 version and just go "E" from the starting screen. The background should be white. The color codes can be taken from the above line. So, for example, in the original in line 800 you have POKE ... , 1 - so you take the code corresponding to 1 (first one is zero, so 1 = 113). You can POKE 113 to the background on the Plussy, and it will be correct.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-28
23:35:06

lol nowhere near the realms of you guys though, it's quite embarrassing as I'm really kinda cheating. Thanks for the tips, I'll have a look.

Anyway, it's pretty lame to play apart from those discrepancies.

EDIT: Fixed, kind of. All the rooms are in their correct colours now, but line 18 was a pain for the short screen flash on the intro page so I kept it as-is. It looks a bit better than using the COLOR command anyway.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-29
00:28:35

Cool. Looks like you have the text adventure bug! The more you poke about looking at how things tick I'm sure your have your own creation soon enough!! Graphics not always needed as the mind can make a better picture and that scores an extra point if the text alone sets the scene. happy

If you do one then you should do an Out on a Limb adventure.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-29
00:49:08

Despite my avatar, I can't get anywhere far on that game.

Good idea though, at least it might be a bit more playable.

Or maybe E.T the adventure.

wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-29
05:23:49

hahaha! grin

For some reason Mercenary & The Second City comes to mind. It took hours to beat them and then some lame way of doing them in minutes was printed out.

I don't think my kids have ever watched E.T and I'm kind of proud of that fact as it is one of the worst movies ever made. Same goes for Close in Counters of the Third Kind. I'm a big fan of scifi but these are pure cheese.

Yes you need a lot of patience to play Out on a Limb, although Dark Tower beats it for difficulty, (C16's very own Manic Miner clone). Pixel perfect jump timings are my thing but these are more painful to play that Rick Dangerous ever was. With Out on a Limb I have completed the first two areas a number of times and made it onto the third load but it's hear I have given up many times. If your rusty it takes time to get back into it any way and by the time you have got on to level 3 and died a number of times you've had enough punishment for one day lol. happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-30
13:03:53

Scrapping this game. It was more just a try-out, but the game is awful and unworthy for the database. Sorry for clogging the board up with rubbish, my other conversion's better. Download this from this topic for comical value only lol.

Posted By

MMS
on 2012-07-30
18:36:48
 Re: Intruder Adventure +4 (scrapped)

Well, it is a good point. what, if an adventure would look great (I mean really great), but the complexity and replayability of that is low. Does it worth to finish it? It is not about your projects, but about mine I am working now since some time... It will look great, but could be very lame as a game, far tooo easy for the experienced guys here...

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-30
19:18:44

Just some things to think about for future projects...

End of the day the Data Base is here to list anything an everything no matter the quality and as long as it has a purpose.

King Size contains 50 games all created in basic covering many different grades of quality. Not everything is my cup of tea, but something might be of interest to others regardless of my views so for that reason alone all programs have to be included.

Ultimately though your in charge as that was something you were working on. No release is final though. Look at Thrust, Matt Young came back in 2009 with a revised version of his own code which was jaw dropping! Never to late to tweak something to make it better either be it borrowed or not. happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-31
12:48:25

good points.

Csabo, not sure if you saw my edits in my other topic. I compiled escape of raka-tua with some bug fixes (kind of). running great and quickly as it should now happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024