Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-03-04
20:26:40
 Optimal Reality

Optimal RealityYesterday I was going through issues of the Hungarian diskmag SCN News, and found something interesting. Number 24 mentions a certain "Optimal Real", a picture show by Chronos. Reddi (the then-editor of the magazine) isn't around nowadays, but Chronos is, so I asked him what this could have been (since there's no record of it anywhere in our database). To my surprise, he delivered it to me within a few hours. Thanks to this, we have a never-before-seen demo, using IFFL technology. (IFFL stands for something like Integrated File Flexible Loader, there are other variations but no clear definition.) Regardless, check the demo out!

Why should we read these old magazines? (I know, a lot of them require understanding Hungarian or German.) By using this little utility, it's possible to extract the magazine text into readable, searchable format. This in turn helps with the software archeology. Based on which games/demos are announced as news, we can figure out the release dates when none is provided. And, occasionally, we can find something rare and exciting, like in this case. But most importantly, to me, reading through the old mags is a nice trip down memory lane. I feel as if part of the scene, and it's a great feeling. Keep the Plus/4 alive!

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-03-04
20:26:40
 Re: Optimal Reality

Smart move, SMART MOVE!

Posted By

MMS
on 2012-03-05
10:43:31

Impressive loader, fast as hell. happy I am envious...

OFF
comment: sometimes the pictures advance very fast, sometimes slowly, I pressed buttons several times, no reaction. Then goes further. Emu troubles? Real irin is different?
ON

Posted By

Chronos
on 2012-03-05
14:13:05

Yea', its awful slow but it isn't a real demo, rather a proof of concept. I was courius about IFFL squeezers anno and tried to use it. If i good remember, there were a few stuff missed (from Csory's package) and i hacked it to get this thing work. About the speed.. all the files in a big sequential file, the loader skips everytime the whole garbage to load the appropriate file (You can experience the hectic load times from this.) grin On c64, there is a lot of releases with this system, "zum beispiel" games consist only a few files..

- Used this IFFL Squeezer
- Some technical background: Cadaver's article about IFFL programming

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-03-05
15:59:27

BTW, an improved version of that specific IFFL Squeezer exists, I've found it some days ago and I'll release soon, in another incoming bunch.

Posted By

Csio
on 2012-03-15
06:44:11

Come to Arok and Chronos will seed some extra secret about the iffl chrunching system

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024