Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-08-23
04:50:42
 Infocom loading leaflet

Please confirm it to me: the presence of a C64/Plus4 loading instructions leaflet, as you can read in this Spellbreaker box, is not indicative to say it's a Plus/4 game too, right?

Posted By

George
on 2011-08-25
07:03:01
 Re: Infocom loading leaflet

Infocoms packages and games are great. Even in our days you don't get such wonderful packaging.

My favorite so far: Starcross

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-09-06
03:50:54

Yes ok, they're so cool, but the question lies there: does the blue c64/plus4 loading leaflet witness that Spellbreaker works on Plus/4 too?

Posted By

George
on 2011-09-06
05:03:14

Why don't you ask the seller?

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-09-06
05:05:51

Because the seller has no Plus/4 to test it, of course.

Posted By

George
on 2011-09-06
05:31:52

1. As far as i know, there is a label on the package, which tells, for what computer the game is.
Because all packages for the atari, commodore etc... are the same.

2. On the Floppy Disk clearly written if its for the c64 AND the plus/4..

The leaflet is no witness, i would say.

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-09-06
05:57:29

Eh reality plays different, see the Buckaroo Banzai +4 case for example. Oh, and welcome to the intricate world of software archeology :)

Posted By

George
on 2011-09-06
07:57:08

i knew, that you would bring that up.
But this is not Buckaroo Banzai and this is a Game from Infocom, which stands for quality in Packaging.

Buy the game and you will find out. Where is the Problem?

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-09-06
08:07:04

Problems: high price, has just been sold, was part of a big auction. And my example is a single one of several others, Infocom or not Infocom.
Instead of explaining all the little things around, let's jump back to the original topic: did someone get experience in relationship between the famous "blue loading sheet" and the release (grey editions, c64/+4 or single +4 etc...)?

Posted By

George
on 2011-09-06
08:36:09

First, solve your biggest problem: your attitude.
Second, stay polite, Mr. Italia, even if you are a talented and expierienced coder.
Third, we are talking about stupid games for adullt Kids like you and me. This has nothing to do with archeology. There is nothing archaic about it.

So welcome in the world of reality.

But, Your question is interesting indeed.

Now fire up your immature aswer wink

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2011-09-06
09:46:19

Haha, I knew around the 4-5th post of this topic that one of you will have "problems" with the others ugly attitude happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2011-09-06
11:36:07

Smiles all around happy

I re-read this thread a few times and I'm baffled by George's post about Luca's "attitude". Let's hope he meant it as a joke and leave it at that.

I also like the term "software archeology". Archeology deals with ancient things, that word suits our situation perfectly. 20+ year old software IS ancient! Trying to find out that stuff, looking up the old companies/people isn't an easy task.

On topic: the eBay screenshots seems to suggest that Spellbound existed for the Plus/4. Let's hope someone can obtain a copy and confirm/deny this.

Posted By

George
on 2011-09-06
12:20:28

Hi Csabo,

A package, which is 20+ old is not ancient, because it is still part of our culture. Its just old.
Call it "Paleology" ("paleos" is also greek and means old) but when you reincarnate in 1000 years and nobody works with bit based-computers any more an you discover an old cave with a staple Infocom boxes in it, thats archaic, then call it Archeology ("archaios" means exactly that).

You all should know the meanings of the words. And not just use them, because ithey sound good and important

Of course i respekt the hobby of this guy here, because i also collect plus/4 games and software. But please don't make a science of it and don't play the professor of your university, dear collector.

But thats not the point. I just don't like the ironic and arrogant way of that guy. So i had to express it. Sorry if i made bad mood here.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2011-09-06
12:31:53

I should have been more clear: no more off-topic posts in this thread please. Use the PM system for that. Thank you!

Posted By

MMS
on 2011-09-08
03:59:33

I checked the Spellbreaker D64 from 4 download central: all four download mirrors contained only one sided D64. It was clearly runnable only on C64.
(there is only one file, and that starts program from ~ $800).

So, there is a slight chance, that the disc second side contains the Plus/4 version is there (hidden version on B side), but I hardly believe that with such a small text adventure it worth the industrial process to write on the second side of the disc.
Maybe someone may check the D64 in details, if any hidden file on sideA could run on Plussy, but I do not believe that Developers had the intention to hide the game so much from the potential Plus/4 Customers...

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-09-08
05:00:14

Infocom used to release different versions of the same game, so you can find either c64+plus4 and plus4 only versions of the same game, depending by the title. For the hybrid releases, both computers have to load the game from the side A (unlike the Adventure International games). Example given: we know a Plus/4 version of Planetfall exists, so I searched for a hybrid version everywhere in the internet, with no success Probably, Planetfall has been released as straight Plus/4 version. So, what about Spellbreaker? A little doubt, who knows wink

OT: we are still missing a working copy of Planetfall, if you have one and you got troubles in copying on a .D64 because of bad tracks protection, we can offer our help to solve'em, contact us! happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2011-09-08
13:35:08

OFF:
OK, one thing I do not understand: these are text only advantures. They should fit into one file, as no gfx involved, as I see. Why there is no cassette version from these games?

Posted By

Monarch​yFanboy
on 2011-09-08
15:26:19

For the obvious reason: Too much text to fit the engine and the content into memory.

The games constantly access the disk drive but it's not as bad as it sounds. They are stilll playable.

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-09-09
02:35:22

Moreover, Infocom is famous because of its adventures'very complicated parser, in some games you can input precise commands and the game answers to you in a very coherent way. That's because I loved Suspect, especially in the beginning, when you interact with all the ppl having fun in a masked ball.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024