Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

evilcl0ne
on 2011-10-03
11:36:36
 Break Error Problem

Hi, I'm hoping someone has some advise. On my third attempt (after getting two machines with faulty TEDs) I finally managed to buy a working Plus4 from ebay after my midlife crisis demanded a nostalgia fix. I have been able to load and re-live many a game for the past few weeks but now whenever I try to load a casette game I get a break error soon after the game is found. I have tried many different titles and both sides of cassettes but get the same error each time, I have even tried different tape drives but always get the same problem so I don't believe its bent pins/tape heads or the 'azimoth' screw position. Any ideas on where I should be looking next?

Posted By

SVS
on 2011-10-04
07:17:04
 Re: Break Error Problem

Sorry for banal question, but are you sure it's not "LOAD ERROR"?
Anyway if you confirm BREAK ERROR, it could be caused by Program not well relacated (is it a C64 prg?)
Does the tape unit work as well with other prg loadings?
Bye

Posted By

evilcl0ne
on 2011-10-04
09:37:24

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have tried several games and they all do the same thing (Icicle Works, JSW, Tresure Island etc) after typing load and starting the cassette the 'found <game>' comes up on the screen and then starts to load but soon after that the screen goes back to the cli with a "break error". I havent had a chance to fire it up last night but will try to over the next couple of nights to get more details

Posted By

Luca
on 2011-10-04
09:48:51

It's time to clean up your datassette! wink

Posted By

evilcl0ne
on 2011-10-04
11:26:15

That was my first thought but luckily (due to the first two non workers) I had a couple of others to try and recieved the same problem

Posted By

Gaia
on 2011-10-04
12:46:12

Alternatively, it could also be that your power supply's fuse is giving up (anyone can confirm this?). At least I used to have similar problems with my memory expanded C16 sometimes (where increased power consumption due to the extra memory meant that the 1 Ampere fuse was no longer sufficient and this resulted in random crashes - BREAK ERROR or a BREAK into monitor).

Posted By

crock
on 2011-10-04
16:37:06

In my experience, that is usually indicative of a faulty cpu (7501/8501). The handling of the tape deck is done through 7 data ports on pins 24-30. If you know that it's definitely the TED's that are at fault on your other two dead +4's pop out the cpu and put it in this one where you know the TED is good.

Rob

Posted By

evilcl0ne
on 2011-10-06
06:16:51

Thanks all, I will give a try with another power and if that fails try a new CPU

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024