14:25:30
 Re: [eBay] War is war

Geez...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-04-09
15:12:45

At a mere 600 bucks, you can't afford NOT to buy it.

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-04-09
15:25:26

600 bucks, two days before the deadline... I'd expect that to rise well above 1-1.5K... (I don't know about recent sale prices, though... I'm just judging from the current price + the time left...)

Posted By

Gaia
on 2010-04-09
16:00:37

It may even go well beyond 3000 bucks, IMHO... in the last minutes it can go really wild. Has there ever been a real 264 found? I may as well drop a mail at the cbm-hackers list where Bil Herd is hanging out and see if he knows more...

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-04-09
16:45:33

Considering the current price and the time left, I'd doubt the 3K as final price... O.K. maybe above 2K but that'd already highly depend on potential buyers current financial capabilities (as function of conjuncture and recession... ie. recession). ...Well, we'll know that in less than 2 days.

The seller claims this machine is No. 61. ...The previous turn-up of 232 machines (somewhere in Holland? more than ten years ago) and the early "TED" prototype board found in Sweden suggests that there were at least some tens, maybe some one or two hundreds of these machines produced (all of them pre-production units, originating from one or another stage of development, a lot of them supplied to software developers (Commodore partners)).

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-04-11
14:02:02

4750$... OMFG

Posted By

Qog
on 2010-04-11
15:02:56

Wow !

That's a serious collector willing to pay that sort of money, I wonder who has the biggest smile on their face the seller or the buyer?

Not wanting to derail the thread though this is kind of related somewhat:-

I'm looking to purchase a standard issue Plus/4, what would be a fair price to pay in £?

I obviously want to pay as little as possible (the missus will be on my case otherwise), I have seen some on ebay for £50 - £80 "buy it now" - would that be a fair going rate or are they somewhat inflated prices?

Posted By

MMS
on 2010-04-11
15:20:31

Magic: how I can make a 4700$ computer from a 50$ one?
Well, after that price I think it worth to burn some eproms at home with special stickers and create some fake serialnumbers with #34. happy

It will worth the hours I may spend on it, hahahaha happy

Posted By

Chris
on 2010-04-11
15:32:51

MMS, thats just naughty. I like your style wink I was amazed to see it go for such a high price, £3093 is just a lot of money. Was tempted to bid up to about £700 myself, but couldn't go any further. Wonder whether the winner of the auction will share some detailed pictures of the machine to the community?

Qog,

You can pick one up for about £20 including data cassette, and some games. Just a word of warning. On eBay if the machine is classed as untested for any reason, avoid it like the plague as TED is probably blown.

Posted By

Qog
on 2010-04-11
15:39:12

Thanks for the heads up Chris, I will stay away from any that don't state tested and in full working order !

Posted By

MMS
on 2010-04-11
17:19:12

Hi Qog,

Although it was a long time I have no real Plussy, I think one of the best test is the keyboard. When TED starts to die, the keys start not working in a kind of matrix.
I think there was a good forum topic here, what are the typical symptoms and how to exchange TED (and some discussions, what can cause that. overheat? or ESD at the factory? who knows? but it badly reducing the number of available good pieces on the market)

Posted By

Rachy
on 2010-04-12
03:47:21

Probably it was a topic here already, but I don't remember ever read about: how much different is this 264 prototype than an ordinary Plus/4?

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-04-12
04:23:03

Aestethics little differencies only, if I remember well. The early prototipe would be something very special to spot out, whereas the final version is veeeery close to the Plus/4.
Look at the former one:

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-04-12
04:24:35

US $4.750,00!

Posted By

Ati
on 2010-04-12
07:11:16

I will make a 264-plate and i will change the plus/4-plate on my pluszi. I will sell it on ebay. happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2010-04-12
07:26:53

Well, if it would be a 364 with numeric keypad, may worth the money... (just because it looks more serious happy and surely not because of speech synthezis)
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos/Commodore_364_System_s1.jpg

BTW, if Commodore would use 364 style for the Plus/4 housing (the cost of extra numeric keyboard is not so high), and would focus on the spreadsheet and word processor only (Commodore Plus/2 ), and would make the memory easily expandable and available, then Plus/4 could be a success, as noone would expect a business-look computer to compete with C-64.

(though Sinclair QL from 1984 was also not a great success, despite it's advanced BASIC and OP.system and 128KB. But it also did not have numeric keypad, it confirms my comment, wink (lot of SW bugs and microdrive killed it)
Do you know, that it had also shipped with 4 applications as Plus/4? just on microdrives, and from Psion. Initially it was too big (sound familiar?), only the final version (rewritten in assembly) could finally fit into the memory (80KB)).
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/doc.asp?c=199

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-04-12
07:40:04

At a mere 4700 bucks, you can't afford NOT to buy it.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2010-04-12
15:12:11

Obscene! (didn't I tell ya? happy )

Posted By

MMS
on 2010-04-12
15:17:35

Well, I suppose it even does not have the +4 applications, right?
So it should have been sold for LESS than a normal +4 wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2010-04-12
15:33:22

It does not. The very reason for it being renamed to plus/4 was the application suite.

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-04-12
16:02:56

Gaia: I do remember mentioning I was only judging from personal eBay experiences, with no info about recent prices of these collector's items... It's been a little surprising to find out how high the price rose, to say the least... that's true... both from the side of my previous experiences, and the final price just by itself.

...I buy stuff at eBay more or less regularly; the price seen one or two days before the end of some auction is usually a good pointer to the final price. People get crazy bidding at the last minutes, yes... but as a rule of thumb, the grand total is rarely higher than some three or four times (or around that, rarely higher) that "base" price. Almost $5k, well, that was definitely above anything I could have expected, especially considering the fact that the recession must/might have hit collectors wallets (or so I suspect... $5k ~= 1M HUF, or half that, or even third of that must be prohibitive for most people for a collector's item, unless someone's really determined (or is already cooking ie. making his business, with investment behind him)). The only way to know how high that price could rise, well, that would have been only possible with information about recent prices ie. grand totals paid for such rarities in considerably recent times.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2010-04-12
16:38:44

TLC: I based my guesses on the auction of the V364 a couple of years ago. Same level of rarity, same course of events and a similar price tag in the end.

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-04-13
03:27:37

Hihi... happy

AIR RAID CARTRIDGE W/BOX VERY RARE ATARI 2600 GAME R10

Posted By

siz
on 2010-04-13
07:16:57

Wow. The price of the 264 was a 'bit' surprising. I can't find the words for this one, TLC. :O

Posted By

MMS
on 2010-04-13
16:12:22

Wow, that Atari price really shocked me

Posted By

Chronos
on 2010-04-13
16:31:21

The shocking thing about this Atari 2600 cartridge that is a hacked sh*t made by a taiwanese studio "based" on another game called "Space Jockey". The price you pay is about the original packaging !!!! It's basically an ugly space invaders clone
more (on hungarian)

http://iddqd.blog.hu/2010/04/12/6_3_millio_forint_egy_regi_atari_jatekert

You can find a youtube video on this page too, just to see what you can expect if you pay the price.. just in case

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024