Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-25
22:49:01
 Re: FLI

Let me see.

FLI works in both character mode and in bitmap mode. You are right about the difference between FLI and DFLI. For character mode, the thing is, even though you CAN switch to new colors in every character, you only get that ONE color per character, since the other color, the background color, is taken from $FF15. An example would be To Be Ashamed - which looks quite stunning really, I don't know why this effect was not used more often. Doing the same in bitmap mode causes that much discussed "FLI color bug". One of the earliest implementations is in Compy Xmas, the 6th part. That effect is also quite stunning, I remember my shock when I first saw it happy TLC explains it all really well in FLI Editor note, it's worth a read.

So the holy grail of video modes is true FLI on the Plussy. With DFLI, you can color every 4x2 pixel area of the entire screen absolutely independently from each other. With FLI, this would be 4x1.

I'll mention something else here. The "buggy" FLI colors could be exploited with this palette:
1 (lum 1, gray)
A (lum 2, yellow-green)
3 (lum 3, cyan)
C (lum 4, blue-green)
5 (lum 5, green)
D (lum 5, light blue)
E (lum 6, dark blue)
F (lum 7, light green)

Basically, it wouldn't matter (much) which color and luminance levels mix, it would be in a cyan-ish hue. Could work well for a very high resolution plasma effect wink

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024