Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-11-17
10:02:56
 Re: Please Report Site Problems Here

It's a good observation, but it's "by design". (Or in other words, it's not a bug, it's a feature! Where have I heard that one before?)

The first, previous, next and last buttons navigate through all programs by ProgramID (which - thanks to URL rewrite - is not even visible on the site anymore). So this is pretty much a random order. If you go to the first game, it's King of Kings. (There's an explanation somewhere on the forum why I added that to the database first back in 1999, even before Plus/4 World ever existed.) Anyway, you click next, you get some other random game. The reason for those two gaps in Plus/4 Power is simple: I automatically added a record for each issue, and then deleted 12 and 25 since those did not exist as standalone programs. Then those id's in between got used up by other random programs. So: the navigation is not sorted by anything, and this is the same for all other parts of the site (members, groups, publications, etc.)

There are two things that I've added since to make this nicer:

1) a special page for magazines, where all issues can be seen in order. This would be the [ more issues ] link.

2) series. There are many programs that are part of a longer series but they are all over the place. If they are part of a series, you get a nice extra navigation on the top of the page that can be used to see each part. See Golden Baton for an example.

So that's the long winded explanation. What that in mind, do you have any suggestions to how to make the navigation better?

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024