Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-10-20
15:25:30
 Re: The same question asked about a million times no doubt

BASIC can be good enough depending on the genre: adventure, logical, strategy, card, puzzle games would be fine.

Action, platform, shooting games are probably best implemented in assembler.

The middle road is to use a program generator, e.g. Rachy's Adventure Building System, or something like Games Designer or Games Creator. Finally, one other option is to build your game in BASIC, and "compile" it with a nifty piece of software called Austrospeed Compiler - this will speed up the game which yields a performance increase (but can't be as fast as a game written in assembler).

If you want to write something from scratch... I guess in general this forum is the best place, the few remaining people that have the knowledge (and speak English wink hang out here. There isn't a simple straight resource though, I wish there was. There are books about programming in general (see Publications section). There are games with full source code released. I honestly wish I could share my knowledge with everyone who's interested, the problem actually seems to be that there's no-one who wants to learn what I know. The fact that you came around asking this is actually a lot of fun for me personally, I like to just talk and think about this stuff (and I always come to the realization that our site could be much better). So... I have to write a book I guess? Maybe "we" could do it, as in write the book as a collaboration?

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024