Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Max M
on 2002-04-29
 What made the Plus/4 so special?

What do you think it is about the Commodore Plus/4 that made it so special? It always annoys me when people who didn't own one say it's just a poor mans C64. Plus/4 games definately had a unique and charming feel to them, which can't really be explained in words.. I think the graphical look and the sometimes 'creepy' sound chip (Play Hyperforce!) gave the games a very atmospheric feel. Something like Exorcist, just wouldn't work as well on another system and the more cartoony look of Fire Ant on C64 actually took something away from the original.

Anyway, what do you think?

- Max wink

Posted By

BushRat
on 2002-04-29
 Sexy is right!

Nice key feel, compact and easy to bankswitch. For me, in the Bush, it ran well on battery conversion. I was hooked by the little orphan and the challenge of making programs to run on it! It REALLY bombed in the States, I don't recall more that a handfull of commercial programs that were available here. You guys were lucky! It fared better in Europe.

OOoo it was Sooo lovable... (I think I'll run to my closet and hug the little bugger, right now. Ha!)

Posted By

Luca
on 2002-04-30
 (no topic)

The Plus/4 is the most friendly machine I know, due to:
- Basic V3.5
- 60k of asic usage
- lm monitor

It has a cool design, 121 colours, and some mornings it makes the coffee and lead to me when I'm still in bed.

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-04-30
 As Luca said :-)

Faster and easy to use over c64. TED sound was perfect for many games SFX. Some games were made 2 years later than C64 making them better on game play eg.(BIG MAC, BMX RACRES) and Trialblazer was was made for the C16/Plus4 before any any other machine hense way it rulez :-)

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-04-30
 Re: What Makes the Plus/4 So Special....

is that it was Commodore's first attempt to break away from the 64. Have you seen the specs and pics of the Commodore laptop? Sure sounds like a Plus/4 with an LCD screen to me. The 128 is a souped-up Plus/4 with 64 compatibility. The C65 was rumored to go back to the Plus/4 cartridge port - do you think Commodore might have had a reason for that? happy

Discounting the Amiga (since Commodore purchased Amiga almost production-ready), everything CBM did after the 64 traces back to the Plus/4 somehow.

Posted By

Neil
on 2002-04-30
 Great games

Hi,

For me it was simply just great fun, simple playable addictive games, thats all any gamer wanted. My pals all had Spectrums later on, but I always thought that most of the games for that were crap, except Dizzy!

Big Mac, Icicle Works, Tom Thumb and Arthur Noid kept my attention longer than anything on the Playstation......though granted I was only 12 back then and easily pleased!!

Neil

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-04-30
 Programming

I was programming on the C16/Plus4 even before I had one. From that point of view the Basic 3.5 and the built in monitor was a big plus. Not to mention the cursor keys. To this day I can't imagine how the C64 folks manage with that horrible two-key layout.

We still envied them for the sprites and the SID... I remember the huge tension between C64 and Plus/4 groups on computer parties. We'd all go back and forth between machines, everyone showing off their demos, and bragging about how those effects were not possible on the other system.

Posted By

Guest #64
on 2002-05-06
 It lives...

I never actually owned a C16 or Plus/4, as I moved from the Vic-20 to the C64. However, a mate of mine did buy a C16 and some ( wink ) of the games were great! I stumbled across this site after visitng Lemon and I have to say that it is pretty impressive. Thanks for producing a great site that is superbly presented.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024