Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2007-10-12
05:09:13
 Emulation speed

So, as you've read on a previous post, I have a problem on my PC: the elaboration speed is fallen down of about an half, since a few months :-/
Thanking to help of IstvanV and Gaia I made some tests, the results are:

a) Even previous version of Yape reaches the same speed; a special version of Plus4emu for AMD the same;
b) The "fall" of speed happens when I set a disk-drive emulation: with Yape speed falls from 1050% to 250% (one drive CPU-emulated- Fullspeed ALT-W on);
c) With my previous PC I reached 1700% with no drive and using a 50% of CPU resources. Now I reach 1050% with 99% of CPU resources and no other PC application running (even without Firewall and Antivirus).
d) A question: in Windows Taskmanager the CPU usage graphic always shows a red pile of about 50%: it stays even if no application is running - IdleCile=99%. Any idea?

Thank you for your kind replies.

Posted By

Crown
on 2007-10-12
10:10:42
 Re: Emulation speed

If TaskManager shows 50% CPU all the time, that means you have a process stuck in an infinite loop, and eating one of your cores...

Go to Processes in Task Manager, open the menu and go to View/Select Columns, and turn on CPU usage. Now you can click on the header of the CPU column to sort it, click twice to get to a descending sort, there should be a process now at the top of the list which is eating the CPU resources... Now you'd at least will know the name of the process, next step would be to look at it in more detail with something like Process Explorer, to figure out what it belongs to and than uninstall/upgrade etc...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

Posted By

SVS
on 2007-10-12
11:02:26

Thank you Crown!
I've already tested the process list, but it seems there is no active process but the Yape (99%). The odd thing is that the green graphic is connected with shown active process' while the red graphic is unknown and is always about the 50%.
Inside the windows help Ive found nothing regarding the color of the graph.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-10-12
12:02:09

It's possible that you got some malware installed on your PC that hooks itself up as a system service or somesuch. Make sure you scan for viruses and spyware.

Posted By

Crown
on 2007-10-14
07:23:56

The red color is the Kernel time, check if whether the menu entry View/Show Kernel Times is checked or not...

In this case there could be some driver issue, or hardware issue as well, or a rootkit. Run RootkitRevealer, maybe it shows something.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/RootkitRevealer.mspx

Posted By

SVS
on 2007-10-14
14:56:08

Solved!
The problem was caused by a bad beast: PowerS.exe in WinXP folder :-/
(not detected by Spybot nor NOD), anyway thank you for the help!

Posted By

Crown
on 2007-10-15
09:57:33

A quick search says, that PowerS.exe comes with Prolink video/tv cards and it is part of the ProLink test tool... Could it be that you had something like that and removed it?

Posted By

SVS
on 2007-10-16
02:37:44

Yes I did, but yesterday evening... mumble... the problem came back :-//
After a happy day with Yape 650% with 2 diskdrives attached!

The situation is that a hardware IRQ call, absorbes a 50% of CPU resources, all the time, and with any application running.
I know it is a hardware IRQ from SYSinternal routine scan.
Any idea about how to pick it?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024