Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-08-09
11:30:52
 plus4emu 1.2.1 release

The new version can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=192837. The usual packages for 32 bit Windows, 32 and 64 bit Linux, and source code are available. Other than having a few minor bugs fixed, this release mainly focuses on improving the TED emulation, in the hope of making it really the best; there is not much visible difference, though, since I only know one demo that did not work correctly in 1.2.0.

Posted By

Degauss
on 2007-08-09
17:45:19
 Re: plus4emu 1.2.1 release

Congrats, Istvan!

Though i only use plus4emu on rare occasions, i was sneaking a peak at your sources on SourceForge. I'm impressed: Very clean and huge amounts of code wink

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-08-10
08:22:17

Any suggestions on what needs to be improved, or what features should be added ?

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-08-14
07:52:17

The tools page still lists version 1.1.3 (from two months ago) as the latest. Could it be updated ? I also noticed that since the ep128emu beta, none of my releases are shown in the news; is there a reason for that ?

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-08-14
08:50:18

Yeah, there's a reason... The usual one. Those who have editing rights are busy with real life and maybe summer holidays, too wink

These things some times take ages and it happens to many "projects". Keep in mind, that all of this is done in spare time and there are loads of things on our lists that haven't been done, yet.

Since I don't have a fast enough PC at this place, I can't check out anything. But the newest version of your emulator hasn't passed by unnoticed happy Definitely not! I'll check it out when I have a decent PC and time.

About the news...
Probably the very same reason... Summer time happy

I suggest sending a PM to Luca, it might help. But on the other hand... it's summer in Italy, too. Nevertheless, I think the latest release it worth a news item.

Well, you seem to be a very ambitious coder... so if you are out of inspiration: Try to include the digiblaster (a SID-card add-on) by SOLDER happy There are at least two demos supporting it happy I guess you'll find all the information required on his website.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-08-14
09:42:58

OK, in fact, I will also be on holidays from tomorrow. So, I can only add the digiblaster later.
If I read correctly, this is a 8-bit DAC at $1E (relative to the SID card base address) and a 8-bit ADC at $1F, and the sound output is connected to the SID external audio input, thus volume control and filter can be applied to it ? That is probably not difficult to implement; I may omit the ADC part, though.

By the way, I noticed that in YAPE there is a lowpass filter on the audio output (both TED and SID) that cuts off above about 5 kHz; on my machine, there is a similar effect when using the RF output, but not if I use the 8 pin A/V connector. So, should I also lowpass filter the sound by default, or not (note that the filtering effect is already possible by tweaking the parametric equalizer settings in the sound configuration dialog) ?

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-08-14
09:43:38

Better now? wink Since you are not a registered user the IstvanV-thing doesn't work, yet. Please ask Luca to add you if you like to do so.

I would have included a screenshot but since I can't run the emulator here somebody else has to take care of that.
On a side note... If you choose "German" you'll get a German news item. This nice feature hasn't been used in a long time. So you should be extremely happy about having the first bilingual news coverage in a long time happy

Keep on coding!

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-08-14
09:51:28

Thanks for posting the news. As of screenshots, there are a few on the SourceForge page, but I can also create a new one in any specific resolution.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-08-14
10:08:04

About the digi blaster...

Yeah, I think the ADC part is not that important.

These demos use it First Mod, Second Mod

and these are tools that either support or have something to do with the add-on

Digital Composing Kit V2 0 and Pegel

Since I never had a digi blaster, I don't know for sure if it works as described. I'm not even sure if anyone but SOLDER on this forum owns one.

About the screenshot... I don't remember the shortcuts for including one and my notes are at my place. So really somebody else has to do that. I think it would be nice to show a demo that requires "hard to emulate" stuff running happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-08-14
10:09:57

Generic rule is that we do not double post news items. If news is posted here it will in most cases not be posted once again on the front page...

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-08-14
10:10:04

http://plus4world.com/software/Digital_Composing_Kit_V2_0

maybe this works Digital Composing Kit V2.0 happy

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-08-14
11:07:05

Thanks for the links, I will have a look at them later when I return from holidays. Here are a few screenshots of stuff that may or may not be difficult to emulate (well, the last two are a joke happy), in 640x540 and 160x135 resolution: http://www.sharemation.com/IstvanV/p4sshot.zip.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-09-04
06:44:23

More on the digiblaster/SID emulation: a quick look at one of the demos suggests that the DAC expects unsigned byte values (that is, for zero output level, it should be set to $80). Is this assumption correct ? A few more questions about the details: is the DAC register readable, or does it behave like other "write only" SID registers ? For the ADC register, should I always return $80 (assuming that it is unsigned) on read, and ignore writes ? What is the relative level of the digiblaster output compared to normal SID sound (and, for that matter, how about the SID vs. TED output level) ? These would be easy to figure out if I had the hardware, but unfortunately I do not have a SID card.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-09-05
12:49:04

The digiblaster emulation is now in the SVN sources. Not having access to the actual hardware, I am not sure if it is 100% correct, but the demos seem to work.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-09-06
18:40:31

First Mod seems to be very unstable, though, and crashes frequently while loading (also in YAPE); is this normal ? The description also does not mention that it requires 256K memory. For Second Mod, it is noted that the loading time is very long; I think the 1551 could be recommended for it, since the demo loads much faster when using that.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-11-27
17:40:54

The crashes in First Mod are apparently a bug in the demo, it enables interrupts during startup after turning off ROM without setting up a valid interrupt routine first. Due to the different timing, it seems to be less likely to crash if started from the TEDMON with G 101D.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-12-26
18:09:50

This modified version fixes the crash: http://www.sharemation.com/IstvanV/first_mod.zip

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024