Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-07-26
16:29:28
 Prince of Persia found!

Check out the Demoscene forum here: http://www.demoscene.hu/forum/forum.php?t=showmessages&id=105 if you speak Hungarian. It seems like TMFS/GFW has found an almost finished plus/4 remake of this classic game. If you're quick and help him transfering it to the PC you might be allowed to finish it up, as well happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-07-26
16:36:34
 Re: Prince of Persia found!

D'ya mean, different from Prince Intro by GFW?

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-07-26
16:43:17

Yes, the actual game he says...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-07-26
17:17:49

I can confirm that it's NOT the well-known intro. I got in contact with the GFW guys a while back, and they said they found the disks. Now it's just a matter of transferring it. I very curious as to how it will play happy

Posted By

Lavina
on 2007-07-27
04:17:20

hm. It would be nice if this time it would be true. :D

Posted By

Rachy
on 2007-07-27
08:13:40

Indeed!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-08-13
05:38:32

It is true happy so who's gonna finish it, that's the question right now...

Posted By

TLC
on 2007-08-13
07:44:09

When I was shown this prototype for the first time, I said that I'd certainly never seen this kind of detailed animations in any Plus/4 games so far. It was also surprising that the game was in hi-res; I'd have expected multicolor, but, well, I'd say that hi-res had been an unusual but very good decision. It would be a shame of not finishing this nice game.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-08-15
06:36:55

It looks as if the screenshot on the news page was made "multicoloured"?

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-08-15
06:46:23

Gaia...
That's due to the scaling/resizing algorithm. I noticed this on some "Demo of the Day" screen shots, too. On the front page they looked multicolored when in fact they were hi-res.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2007-08-15
09:40:14

Ah that could be. Photoshop can downscale an image with proper filtering indeed.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-08-15
11:31:26

I have always been disappointed about Photoshops scaling options (especially missing b-spline and Lanczos3).

Pixelrepetition is ok for pixel perfect (i.e. keeping the blocky look) upscaling but for downsizing it won't really do any good, or?

With hi-res screen shots here you can't do much, though because bit patterns like 01010101 (often used as "dithering" in hi-res) get lost when they are resized no matter what algorithm you use. Unless one would code a "color/grey scale to bit pattern"-filter which rerenders the downsized bitmap. Not really worth it, I guess happy Or one would take columns 0,1,4,5,... and rows 0,1,4,5,.. that would keep the bit patterns to some extend as well. Still it would omit many details due to the skipped lines.

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2007-08-15
15:00:36

The game was planned to multicolor but the author didnt turn it on happy The 01 and 10 patterns remember me to multicolored bitmaps seen in hires mode. Lets try turn multicolor mode on in YAPE! (i tried to do it, but i got a blank screen... Perhaps if I don't give up after 1 trial...)

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-08-15
15:18:01

I don't think that it was planned to be in multicolor. Check out the Prince Intro, there you can see details (eg the title lettering/logo) which can't be achieved in multicolor.
The same for the game. Indeed, the bit patterns sometimes are like multicolor chars in hi-res, however, I think this is just coincidently. The bit patterns have been used to create some kind of dithering/different tones. At first, one might wonder why they haven't used chessboard patterns for that (instead of vertical lines) but those vertical lines work quite well for darker tones I think.

Posted By

TMFS
on 2007-08-22
09:54:57

Hi, just to make it clear; the game was planned to be in hires, so forget playing with the multicolor setting. This decision was made on the advice of our design resposible: Mac. I believe the decision was good, so the animations became really fine..

All the best for you,
Tmfs (PoP co-author)

Posted By

Mac
on 2013-06-07
01:06:40

FYI: Prince of Persia unofficial website has been updated
http://popuw.com/comp4.html

Posted By

Luca
on 2013-06-07
02:57:44

Nice to see you again Mac happy
You should also update the link to Plus/4 World, they still link Emucamp, which is dead years ago.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024