Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-06-04
04:18:29
 Section 9 / Oldschool

Does anyone have any background info on Section 9? It's so little known about the oldschool crackers.
Are they from Germany? They frequently greeted "48TPI" which was a German Group but they obviously had contact with HCS, too. Of course that's possible from anywhere but I suspect that they are either Hungarian or German.

So what's "oldschool" on plus/4 anyway? Anything pre-1989?

Btw, Csabo...
How about adding a topic category "scene" or "demo scene"?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-06-04
12:04:35
 Re: Section 9 / Oldschool

I added the category. I don't know anything about Section 9, my guess would be that they are German. There are quite a few more "oldschool" crackers like this, their info forgotten... Our best chance of getting this knowledge is probably of one of them finds our sites and writes up a little memoir.

What's considered oldschool? That's a very interesting topic. I really wish we had some writeup on this, or about OUR scene life in general, how it evolved, etc.

Posted By

Degauss
on 2007-06-04
16:23:41

I only know about "Section 8". Crackers from the old days (and yes: from germany)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-06-04
17:18:09

Are you serious? happy

For a minute I thought you may have mis-read their name. I remembered that in their cracks they used the font from Games Creator, which is a bit hard to read. But once I looked it's clear that they were called Section 9, at least THIS group we're talking about. I've never heard of Section 8... happy Man, it just sounds funny though happy (I expect the jokers jumping in with comments like "We had Section 10" or something.)

Seriously though, did they group you know release anything?

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-06-05
02:12:56

Yeah, "Section 8" is really, really oldschool, though, on C64 happy

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/group/?id=25

I thought the name "Section 9" was "inspired" by them happy

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-06-05
02:38:14

Csabo:
Yes, I'm interested in "our" scene history, too. Makes us two happy

The Raven, Floppy Robby etc come to my mind when talking about oldschool crackers.

Demowise, the earliest stuff are probably "converted" digis by Micro Maniac (any info on him?) and the like.

Maybe Dr. Death can help us out with some family secrets wink Mr.L's intros are among the first "real" intros if I recall correctly. Only a few of the somewhat oldschoolers stayed on the plus/4 and started coding demos. I'm thinking about Fusion and his various earlier incarnations and about Alf of TED and later on 48 TPI. But that's already 1988 and not so oldschool anymore.

Pit of A-System stated in a disk mag interview (source?) that he met Garfield (not linked because the handle was also used by Dale) who was a well known cracker at that time and formed PGC, Pit (and) Garfield Corporation.

You are probably right, we can only wait for some of them to show up one day.

Posted By

Degauss
on 2007-06-05
03:21:18

I'm gonna tell Mr.L. Maybe he can remember something.

I have to admit this "Section (Pick a Number)" thing is quite funny. I remember there where some Section 8/Hotline connections to the other TEK-guys back then but i don't remember Section 9.

p.s.: I'm also still looking for a real rarity: There was a photo from the maybe first +4-copyparty in germany ever (hosted by Pit of A-System) that shows all the old-farts. I know that this photo has to be somewhere in my parents house.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2007-06-05
10:53:00

I remember the photo happy Nukeman showed it to me in 1992 at a copy party at his place.

I'm not sure if the A-System party was the first plus/4 copy party but it was indeed a major meeting. I think it's the party where Crown and Fusion released their co-op demo Digital Dream which was and still is one of my favorites. There's a party report in one of the disk mags from back then (or maybe in a demo).

I wonder what happened in the years before that. What's the oldest crack on plus/4 which has a date in it?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024