Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-04-14
00:47:20
 Dark Mansion

I played through it, it was fun! I think that this was actually the very first game created with Rachy's builder, ever. Or were there any others? (Not counting the demo game of course.)

Spoiler alert.

Some comments: "A well stocked panty"... I'm sure it was meant to be pantry, but that was one funny typo happy For quite a while I didn't know what to do with the witch. I already had the jug of water with me when I first got there, so she did nothing. I tried talking to her, examining her, but she just sat there. Only later I discovered that if you enter that room with no jug... you die. This area could have used better logic. Killing the player without warning just because he enters the wrong room is not nice. Once the player has the weapon, the enemies become unnecessary. At least they should be blocking the player, i.e. "The witch doesn't let you pass". Same with the Ogre.

Anyway, I'd be happy if we got new adventure releases every month happy

Posted By

Chris
on 2007-04-14
05:55:26
 Re: Dark Mansion

Hi,

Thanks for the comments, after reading your post I decided to change the interaction with the monsters. They now work alot better happy Also changed the typo, nice find happy

I love the map you have created.

The updated version can be found at www.commodore16.com/Downloads/Dark_Mansion.zip There is a D64 and a PRG there.

Over the weekend I'll release the SEQ source file so you can all have a peek to see how its done.

Chris

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-04-14
07:46:35

Please, cut off a possible infinite chain of improved versions: is this new one the definitive version 1.1 or shall we see a better one further?

Posted By

Chris
on 2007-04-14
07:48:02

Yes this is the definitive version, there will be no more updates

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-04-14
11:37:47

I'm not very fond of "improved versions" either. Somehow in the Plus/4 world it just doesn't feel right. I could suggest making a beta version and sending it out for play testing, I'm sure you'd get useful feedback. I for one would be happy to play test anything.

Posted By

TMR
on 2007-04-14
18:52:02

Same 'ere, happy to beta stuff for people... =-)

Posted By

Rachy
on 2007-04-15
02:00:31

@Csabo

There were more games by some folks who bought the system when it was finished, but I think they haven't released those games.

So, we could say that after 14 years of its release this is the first game. happy

Posted By

Degauss
on 2007-04-15
06:31:27

You could've posted all this into the "Why are we doing this..."-Thread wink

I think this is utterly cool: 14 years for the first adventure made with rachy's tool! yeah! wink

Posted By

Chris
on 2007-04-15
06:54:08

Looking back on how I released this, I do agree with Luca & Csabo and that I won't be releasing different version of games. Instead will make sure they are properly beta tested too, cheers for the offer wink

I am really suprised that no one has released a adventure using Adventure Building System by Rachy before now. Its such a great utility to use, especially when you can edit the SEQ file in programmers notepad before you compile it using the utility. Once you get used to all the conditions and format its not hard to use at all.

It could have been posted in "Why are we doing this..", but missed the boat. The reason for me is the actual challenge of doing something for the C16/Plus 4 and the love of the format.

Posted By

Rachy
on 2007-04-15
08:30:56

How about some more complex adventure? happy

Posted By

JamesC
on 2007-04-15
11:12:07

One reason why I haven't used this: time, or the lack thereof.

But another reason is that when I look at the info record on this site, it says the software is in English but the screenshot shows some other language. Does the .d64 of this software include English instructions, or will I need to find a manual somewhere?

Posted By

JamesC
on 2007-04-15
11:12:40

Clarification: I am speaking of Adventure BUilding System, not of Chris' adventure.

Posted By

Rachy
on 2007-04-16
01:38:19

@JamesC

Sorry, no English manual. The program itself is English, the manual for it is Hungarian. But it is based on Graphical Adventure Creator from C64, the same programming language implemented. So, if you grab a description of GAC and check out the example game you can get along easily.

Posted By

Jakec
on 2007-04-18
03:54:31

Great job. I died thee times. happy I found the Graphic Adventure Creator instuction, but this is the hungarian version. CoV Évkönyv 91. 129-146 page. (bad quality )
http://pcvilag.muskatli.hu/irodalom/CoV/covek91/covek91.html

Sorry.

Posted By

Rachy
on 2007-04-18
05:14:00

@Jakec: hungarian description is included in the ABS package.

Here is the manual of GAC (in case anybody is interested):

http://gac.interface1.net/manual.html

Posted By

Lavina
on 2007-04-19
06:17:54

Thumbs up! Adventure is still my favourite genre, including PC! I feel really miserable in this fancy 3D world we're having these days...

Some comments:

Killing the player is fun! :D When I wrote my adventures, first I tought about only blocking the path, but then I realized that the possible death (and restart) adds to the tension... wink To tell you the truth, I was greatly influenced by the adventures of István Rátkai. (His games had also been converted to the +4). Later, on PC I noticed that feeling "safe" (no deaths) in adventure games can be quite relaxing, thus raising the game experience. Also, an element of humor in the game can compensate the pain of dying in games (e. g. Legend of Kyrandia trilogy). I'd really like to see a vote on the question... happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024