Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-12-06
09:00:53
 Endings?

I completed all the 100 levels in Reaxion, great game and cute ending, with gfx and dedicated tune.
How many c16/+4 games have endings? Text, gfx (like in Ikari Warriors), we don't care the genre, all the endings!
Csabo, what about adding the chance to add ending too, as for instructions, descriptions, cheats etcetera?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-12-07
22:03:29
 Re: Endings?

I thought of this before too (we may have even discussed it). It's a great idea! One thing we should add is "game ending type" or "game goal" or some field like that - I actually can't come up with a name, help me out with this guys. Basically the values for this field would be something like:
1) Keep playing but eventually die, no high score (worst!)
2) Keep playing but eventually die, high score (most action games I guess)
3) Finish all levels, silent restart (sucks)
4) Finish all levels, has ending (like Reaxion, or King of Kings happy )
5) Reach final goal (like adventures)

You get the idea. There's probably others. This would be a cool addition to the db I think. Then, once we have these, we can start collecting the "endings" (which I guess would be screenshots), and probably add them so that they are not visible right away. They would appear in a popup or something. You know, same idea as with the hints for adventure games, you don't want to give away spoilers.

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2006-12-08
20:32:14

This Idea and Csabo's Statementi to it sounds verry good !
I think its cool when you can see the Starting - and the Ending - Screen.

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-12-10
05:01:27

Csabo you talked very well. wink
Yeah, of course the user would see the ending stuff on demand only, a popup window would play very well its role.
Actually, I don't see difference in ending type 4 and 5: graphics or not, even adventures and arcades have an ending.
1) infinite improving/no hs
2) infinite improving/with hs
3) silent restart/no reward (gfx, music, sign, text...)
4) 3) silent restart/with reward (gfx, music, sign, text...)
5) has ending/goal
6) bugged

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-12-10
06:37:44

7) objective (like Laser Squad)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-12-10
15:15:31

You are right about my 4 and 5 being the same. Also your 5 and 7 are the same I think happy Ok, how about "Game ending type" for the field? Basically this would tell us if the game has some kind of an "end", and I see only 5 possible values then:

1) no end (no hs)
2) no end (hs)
3) has an end, then restarts (no reward)
4) has an end, then restarts (reward)
5) has an end, game ends

All the games I can think of would fit into one of the above 5. I don't think there's any games that are 5) but have no reward. If the game ends there's always "something", at least a very lame "game over" message. I really think the above is good.

Unless you guys give me some more feedback, I'll implement it!

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-12-10
16:31:19

So, definitive endings and natural endings must be treated the same, ok.
Should be good to insert a final baddie too, if present (Airwolf 2).
What about middle-bosses like in Liberator's level's ending?

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-12-14
05:47:43

Mh! It seems that this idea moved all the forum readers'souls! :D

Posted By

Luca
on 2006-12-20
11:03:47

Wow, what a warm interest in it!
Ok ppl, let's talk clearly: we wanna hera your voices, about adding endings to +4World database. What do you all think about? Some more ideas?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-12-21
11:43:15

Quiet, can't you see that they are all sleeping? You might wake someone up with all this shouting happy

I think the above discussion is good enough, maybe no-one has anything to add to it, but perhaps once it's in place, we may see some activity from the editors as they would be filling out the info for this new field. I'll try to add this to the site this week.

Seriously though, I really think that collecting this information, and the end screenshots, and the solutions/explanation of how to complete the game is very, very cool stuff.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2007-01-24
16:50:30

Just remembered this topic, as I've started looking into the endings, and just wondering: How would the end of Power Ball be described as? It gets to a point where you obviously can't progress any more, but you can 'force' the screen across bit by bit until it crashes.

Suggestions?

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2007-01-24
16:58:04

Just remembered Oblido as well...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-01-24
21:50:37

Good one. For Oblido, when the bug is fixed, the game just continues on to level 1 again. So it would be "has an end, then restarts (no reward)" - the game can be "completed" in a sense, you can do all the levels, but you will ultimately die, when you can't finish a level. So what I'm saying is we should use the intended ending.

Which means Power Ball needs to be fixed! happy

But in case we find out that it's permanently bugged (neither congrats message nor restart from level 1 code built in), it would be a 5), that is "has an end, game ends". This category assumes "reward", games like this would be the exception.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2007-01-25
06:48:11

It looks as though the last level of Powerball has been deliberately designed so that it cannot be 'completed' in the conventional sense.

Perhaps a new ending category, such as 'Has an end, cannot be completed' or something similar?

And another query, about Icicle Works. The game does not end or restart, once all the rooms are completed there's only the bonus blocks to get a highscore with, however there is a small acknowledgment that the game is completed as the game gives you an extra life every time you enter a different level.

How would this be described? happy

And finally (for now) another minor query, about games like POD and Dizasterblaster. These games repeat the same levels over and over, but the level number continues to increase.

Would this be 'No end (highscore)' or 'Has an end (restarts)'? (I'm personally leaning toward 'No end (highscore)', unless anyone has a better idea?) happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-01-25
22:05:03

Whew, another good set of questions happy

Let's see: the intention Power Ball is that the game ends, no more anything. So I still think it can be completed in the sense that a good player can reach the very end without cheating. Therefore I still think 5) is appropriate. This field I think is mainly for the true players, who would look at the list and say "well, this game has an end, a last level, let me see if I still got it and go all the way".

Icicle Works can still be played infinitely (although it gets boring), so we could call it 'No end (highscore)'. The bonus life is just a bonus life.

POD and Dizasterblaster would fix both perfectly. I would presonally lean towards 'Has an end (restarts)' for the above reason, but it's a judgement call happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-02-04
10:01:00

Hahaha, I achieved to have the Xadium final screen. Ok, we're ready for it now. I would have a See the final click here hiding feature.

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2007-02-12
21:30:23

I have play the 25 rooms from Dork's Diemma and there comms nothing.
No endingscreen, No finish picture - NOTHING

Posted By

Luca
on 2007-02-13
02:25:06

LOL! Really? Does it restart or end in silence? happy

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2007-02-13
05:57:05

Realy - Nothing

You can run truh the empty rooms but there is nothing else.

I forgot. I have played on YAPE, i remember when i played on a real 264er i have played 15 - 20 Rooms and the Machine tillts, so i can't finish the Game on a real Computer.

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2007-02-13
17:14:18

RĂ¼diger says to me: when you have complete the 25 Rooms you must complete the Jiggle.
O.K. I have played the Game again and complete the jiggle and the Game wil restart with:

LEVEL COMPLETED !

NOW PLAY THIS

Posted By

Csabo
on 2007-02-13
21:18:06

I remember playing through that. It's like you said, after finishing the puzzle, you get a lame message (that's your reward) and the game restarts but faster. I guess we couldn't expect much more from only 12K...

Posted By

russnet1
on 2007-02-17
14:39:18

Apparently with Powerball to get through the very tight tunnel is to allow the timer to run out so that you loose a life and you should appear on the other side of the tunnel. I could be wrong.

The annoying thing is that I got a reply from the guy who wrote it, Patrick Strassen and was posted on a Mastertronif forum. Although I have found the site via web archive, my posting is there but not Patrick's. He thanked me for wondering his game that he wrote all those years ago.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2007-02-17
15:53:02

Hm, I remember finishing Dork's Dillema several times in my childhood. It definietly had some ending... I'll try once more. It's one of my favs.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2007-02-17
20:52:38

Russ, I found your posting:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020808191327/http://www.old-arcade.com/masterdiscuss/_newdisc/00000048.htm

and Pat Strassen's reply:
http://web.archive.org/web/20020808191327/http://www.old-arcade.com/masterdiscuss/_newdisc/0000004a.htm

It doesn't really say anything that's not known already (the one block advance when the game restarts), however with this particular obstacle, once the screen reaches a certain point, the graphics crash and you continuously die.

Indeed, from Pat's post, it appears that wall is supposed to be the proper end of the game.

Posted By

russnet1
on 2007-02-18
08:07:31

Wow, impressed you found it. As I couldn't see it anywhere. Still, end screen or not. I'm just happy that the guy who created it all those years ago replied to my message.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2010-10-25
10:39:35
 Endings - Resurrected

I'm resurrecting this topic to continue the discussion. It came up that we should refine the ending types, especially for the 5th choice (has an end - game ends).

Most likely games such as adventures, where there's a final goal (plus a reward, which is implied... you completed the game) and games like PowerBall should be separated. Any other types?

Also, for a while now I've been planning on adding a section for "Plus/4 Game Endings". If you have ideas or requests about how that should work/look, let me know.

Posted By

Luca
on 2010-10-25
12:18:09

Logical or table games have a forced-in-any-case ending (chess, e.g.), whereas "ending" means the game ends in positive negative or draw ways but there's not a further "higher" level or unreached screen to still see. For several sport games ("Winter Events", e.g.) is the same story.

Posted By

RĂ¼diger
on 2010-10-25
12:32:42

I think the same for any sport games. The games ends by the rules from the event. The most olympic games ends with a score, i.e. the gold / silver / bronce medal at Summer & Winter Events, or scoring at European Games.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024