Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2006-03-15
10:14:22
 Site Security, Changes to forum posting

The Plus/4 World site administration team (fine, me) is working on securing the site. For now we have never been abused by anyone in any way, and let's hope it stays that way (fingers crossed), but it's never a bad idea to fix security holes. A lot of problems have been addressed in the past days.

One big hole was the full HTML posting allowed. This is never a good idea. Again, it's not that any one of our community has abused this, but it needed to be done. The forum help has already been updated, and for now we're limited to B, U and I tags and simple TABLE formatting, the rest will be merrily filtered out. I will work on a proper [img] and/or [url] tags if you guys feel that it's necessary. Let me know if you have any comments.

Posted By

TMR
on 2006-03-15
14:48:32
 Re: Site Security, Changes to forum posting

Yeah, i think we need IMG and URL tags please.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2006-03-15
17:12:12

URL tags are a must. happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2006-03-15
18:56:21

I second that, URL and IMG are essential! happy Anyway, I like the idea of security nevertheless wink

Posted By

TMR
on 2006-03-15
20:38:02

Oh yeah, considering how many of the Proboards forums are getting those ridiculous junk spams i'm all for seeing security beefed up here.

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2012-02-13
07:48:53

We can see more and more spam posts from week to week on the forum. Should we consider some kind of captcha when ppl submit their posts, or, force them to login (no more anonimous posts...) ?

Posted By

siz
on 2012-02-13
10:48:31

I have to agree with KiCHY. It's a nice feature to allow anonymous posting but it requires a lot of effort to fight against spam. At least a CAPTCHA would be nice for anonymous posters to prevent unwanted content.

Posted By

TMR
on 2012-02-13
15:05:57

If we're changing to login only, can someone email me about my account because i've forgotten what the login is...! =-)

Posted By

rudis
on 2012-02-13
15:10:11

you just logged in to post, so what the problem? wink

captcha is a nice thing to avoid some spaming bots

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-02-13
17:55:42

TMR: check your fb messages wink
rudis: he's right, he used his handle tag, but he wasn't logged in when he did that-

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-02-13
20:23:06

A few more bots got through lately, mostly cause they started following the links from the home page (commenting on the news items). For every spam you do see, there's 5-10 times as much caught and logged, never showing up. Each IP is added to the blocked list and if there's a pattern in the posts, I add that to the list as well.

Clearing them up for us admins is a single click, I apologize for the inconvenience of you guys having to see them for long periods of time.

Posted By

TMR
on 2012-02-14
08:43:23

Ah, that's better i'm feeling myself again [fnarr, fnarr] =-)

Edit: why does the "posted by" say "TMR, T.M.R"...?

Posted By

Luca
on 2012-02-14
09:06:31

Sorry, I fixed it but AGAIN I forgot to refresh the site happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-02-22
22:12:39

Ok, if all goes well, I have the manual spam killing feature made public. Some of you (with sufficient access rights) will see a [ Spam ] link next to the post topic. It's a single click, be gentle with it. Please report if it worked or if you have any problems with it to me via a PM.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024