Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-09-11
10:45:38
 Genres - Rouge?

I think I opened up a topic about this a while ago. Anyway, right now my first priority is finishing up our megademo, and then I have a half-finished game to complete, but after that... It's often at the back of my mind, I think about what kind of games/technologies we could use to make awesome games on the Plussy. Did anyone ever play with Rouge/iRouge/NetHack/Alphaman type of games? I happen to like this genre a lot, and of course there's lots of room for making the game unique. I have iRogue on my Palm, which I play sometimes, and it's tons of fun. This type of game would really lend itself easily for coding on our platform. But on the other hand, it's old, retro stuff. So... any thoughts?

Posted By

Luca
on 2005-09-11
12:42:46
 Re: Genres - Rouge?

Dunno about Rouge, but it smells like a MUD.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-09-11
14:10:21

Creating multiple user games is another super cool subject, and it would be just fantastic if a few (at least one?) existed. It would be a massive hit on parties. It'd be nice if there was a little library on the actual connection, etc, so game developers wouldn't have to worry about that.

Those who are not familiar, the wikipedia entry (as usual) is an excellent starting point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_%28computer_game%29. If you want to play with something on the PC immediately, just grab NetHack. I like nethack better, because you can do more things... E.g. a universe in which you can throw poisons at monsters and it actually harms them, there a lot more possibilities for gameplay/strategies.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2005-09-12
03:10:41

As I first got in touch of the MUD experience, I could not do anything else for 1,5 years... happy
It's very catchy stuff! Actually, I have already mentioned, that I want to do something really cool for the plussy, a new kind of game, that is almost like a MUD. Well, Twin Kingdom Valley is something similar, but I think about more possibilities in the game to feel yourself in a real living world. I don't really focus on multiplayer feature, but more like a new kind of single player adventure, with living creatures with some AI, quests, and a lot of fight. And of course, your character would improve in skills, health, power, strenght, magic, etc, etc....

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-09-12
09:20:18

Well, that's exactly what NetHack and Alphaman are, especially Alphaman, it's really, really tons of fun. Download it.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2005-09-12
20:18:19

This sounds like a BBS online game called LORD ("Legend Of the Red Dragon"), except LORD allowed the online players to interact with each other, message each other, etc.

So what you're describing is a medieval rold-playing game with ASCII graphics, right?

Posted By

Lavina
on 2005-09-13
05:24:58

exactly. In single player mode. It's like an adventure, but for completing certain quests or tasks first you must attain higher levels by fighting monsters, improving skills with experience points exchanged for improving. And of course you would have money, and items to wear and fight and do magic with. Learning, meditating, eating, drinking, sleeping, etc...

What I played on the net was Multiplayer based, but the same concept. That is why it's called Multiple User Dialogue (MUD) games as far as I know.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-09-13
07:16:18

LORD is still alive, check out lotgd (Legend of the Green Dragon), free online textbased multiplayer game, based on the original. This is mostly an RPG however. I'm talking about more specifically of the Rouge style... It's different. In fact there have been some Rouge-like games on the C16 Plus/4 as well, but in Basic.

Wouldn't it be great to make this as an open source development game?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024