Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

funkydude
on 2005-08-26
10:52:20
 NTSC DVD Playing on Pal Computers??

Hi All. If you have a NTSC DVD, will it play on a PAL based PC Windows computer? DVD+ format~ homemade.

Let me know, please.

Thank you!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2005-08-26
11:11:06
 Re: NTSC DVD Playing on Pal Computers??

Show me a "PAL based Windows PC" first, please. Anyway, what does this have to do with the Commodore plus/4?

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-08-26
12:59:31

Sure!

NTSC DVD's will run fine but most DVD software players that run on your PC lock the region code as soon as you pop in the first or the first couple of disc's and it can't be changed, (some hacks can over-ride this of which I dont use). If its does not work then try downloading another DVD software player. POWER DVD is a good player which comes with alot of PC nower days.

You can also buy multi-region DVD players for your TV very cheap these days. (TV needs to have NTSC support though).

Posted By

funkydude
on 2005-08-27
06:46:23

Thank you happy

Posted By

JamesC
on 2005-08-27
16:03:32

Over here in NTSC-land, add-on DVD-ROMs are fairly cheap -- US$30 -- and it will pick up the region code of the disk you're playing and "lock" itself to that region (and television format). But if you add a second DVD-ROM and only use it for NTSC (Region 1), the one you have now for PAL (Region 3, I think, it should say on the back of most major DVD releases you find in your local shops), then you're covered.

Homemade disks won't have a region code on them unless the person who made it specifically added one. In this case, you can play it in any DVD-ROM player you desire.

< /off-topic >

Posted By

The +4 King
on 2005-08-28
11:09:50

Hi JamesC
Can You Play Pal DVD's on Your Player, As My Friend Robert Bernardo Has Got some Pal DVD when he was in England and is looking for a R2 Player. Maybe these Chips can Help Him.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2005-08-28
21:34:27

Peter, if he wants a stand-alone machine to hook up to his TV, then he'll also need a TV that can display a PAL picture. If he wants to play on his PC or Mac, the additional DVD-ROM player would be an inexpensive solution.

We're talking about whole players here, not a mod-chip. Mod-chips are for displaying unauthorized content, which is probably not Robert's intent.

I have a friend who has received DVDs from Russia, and cannot play them here because of the different video format. She went to one of the larger retailers here and was told that a particular Philips player would play anything she had. And it will, as long as it's NTSC. He didn't catch that Russia uses a different television format.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024