Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Fredrik
on 2005-02-13
16:48:58
 PAL or NTSC does the computer mind?

Hi, recently I bought a Plus/4 from e-bay. The computer are from America. I live in Sweden. Eourope as you know uses the PAL system for TV. I s this a problem need I buy a TV that supports NTSC. What aboyt monitor's? Do they "care" which country the computer come from?
Very eager to get started so please help me.
Fredrik.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2005-02-13
22:12:49
 Re: PAL or NTSC does the computer mind?

If the computer is coming from the US or Canada, then you'll definately have problems. First off you'll need a power transformer for it. Either use one from a European Plus/4, or get a 230-to-115 volt transformer.

Then you need to worry about the picture on your television. If your television is fairly new it may already be able to display NTSC; check your manual. Otherwise you will need an NTSC to PAL conversion box.

I don't think a monitor would be of help here.... even though the monitor isn't displaying "NTSC" or "PAL", it's still looking for scan lines at a certain rate so that it can maintain a steady display. However, I have seen SCART connectors on Ebay that hook up to the Plus/4 monitor jack. This might solve your problem.

Note that any games or demos that depend on system timing (including music) might not perform to your expectiations.

Posted By

SVS
on 2005-02-14
03:51:03

To complete what my friend James told, I can add that European monitors are power supplied with alternate 220V (50 Hz.), even if plugged to a PC plug. They uses the power freqency (50 Hz) to syncronize the image at that frequency (that is PAL frequency).
This means that if you are able to run your Plus4 with correct AC power, your monitor probably are not able to show it correctly.
Of course this is not true with a digital monitor happy , but the cost of it would be much greater than a PAL Plus/4.

Posted By

Crown
on 2005-02-14
04:59:37

Old video monitors like a 1084S Pal, are usually able to cope with the different frequency and scan line numbers, but usually they can't deal with the different color encoding, so the screen would come up black and white on a PAL monitor from an NTSC machine.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024