Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Austin
on 2005-01-07
15:36:31
 Commodore buy out

Commodore has been bought by a company hinting they may resurrect the old name with a new C64. I wonder if they will do the decent thing and bring OUR old pal back from the dead..?

Posted By

Gaia
on 2005-01-07
16:00:06
 Re: Commodore buy out

I really doubt that OUR machine would ever get re-released in any way. It was after all a market failure back then, why would this happen differently now?

Posted By

LeeT
on 2005-01-07
19:57:10

I wouldnt want them to relaunch the Plus 4 after the diabolical treatment of the DTV!

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2005-01-07
20:47:52

Most likely, they've never even heard of our machine.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-01-07
22:16:27

The whole thing just gives me bad vibes. The company who bought them (to me) is virtually un-heard of. Where did they get 33 million US? And how do they plan on turning that investment into profit? (Lawsuits?) You visit their website: it's like a music portal, it has nothing to do with computers. Their FAQ section is the coolest.

Selling stuff like MP3 players with a commodore logo... It just doesn't feel right. Sure, we support the brand and all, but to me, it's not about MP3 players.

Let's just hope that our little scene and community will be left alone.

Although a relaunch of the plussy would have one posivite effect: (relatively) cheap source of TED chips wink

Posted By

Mosh
on 2005-01-07
22:43:03

From what I understand, Gateway owns the MOS technology, so they'd be the people to ask nicely to make new TED chips. The schematics for TED are probably sitting in the bottom drawer of a locked filing cabinet in a disused lavatory in the basement of Gateway headquarters.

I'm not so sure that making MP3 players with the C= logo is a bad thing, it get's the brandname back out there. Amstrad and Apple have made similar moves which paid off for them.

I've held off buying an MP3 player so I can get my hands on eVic, whenever these folks get their act together and release it. Hopefully it won't be a piece of junk al a Mattel Aquarius.

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-01-08
04:32:51

Maybe I've got out of bed the wrongs side, but who cares?
The Commodore we loved died back in the 90's. R.I.P

This year multimedia devices will grow even bigger. Sony with their handheld PSP and Nintendo with their DS which is an intresting way of mass marketing multimedia. Microsoft or Bill Gates rather said this week he wants to rule our entire entertainment world.... Xbox 2 will act as a media centre for your music, movies, videos and photos and will be able to share information with your home PC. Sony plan to do the same. Bolt-on toys will be made for these new games machines. Infact you can already buy an MP3 plug-in cart for an GameBoy Advance.

We also have mobil phone companys making their toys ect....

For Commodore to resurface and even if it was a portable MP3 player would be a lost cause. They would end up giving them away free in boxes of cornflakes. wink
Just like DVD players now, there are many brand names we have never heared of and everyone means cheap and nasty. You get what you pay for and the word Commodore today would be classed in the same league. After all we have had two entire generations grow up since the 80's and the word Commodore has no meaning to them.....

Posted By

MC
on 2005-01-12
08:45:30

This is the 934th news about Commodore being sold and revived. Plain bullshit.
I agree Lando.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024