Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2004-10-04
08:33:47
 Re: Why are you guys better?

Replying to the topic: well, IMHO "we" aren't. Seriously. Some of us may be technically better -- say, can code an extra, heavily optimized FLI, zoom4, 3d, music etc. routine and some efx (or music) on top of that. Still, I won't be brave (or daring) enough to state that -- as of this time, including the past 15 years or so -- any of us could beat Mercenary, Icicle Works, Winter Events, Magician's Curse, Ghost Town, ... which shows somehow. Speaking of myself, I don't think that I'm any better than Mr. Doug Turner or David Braben or Udo Gertz; they coded far better games _themself_ all alone (some of them with the help of a musician) that I could ever do. ...They didn't (or haven't, so far... =))) ) coded tricky music players or fli routines or whatever... so what?...

...It's probably about different type of talents. People above were talented in coming up with good game ideas, and also, realising those ideas IRL. It's also almost unbelievable that they did that _that_ early (coming up with a nice and _playable_ game in less than half a year after the release of an unknown platform, IMHO _is_ something). Some of us are on the other hand, talented in researching and exploiting still unknown features of the machine wink. Some of us are talented in math... Some of us are talented in music, design, etc.

Whatever it is about, for me, nothing compares to the "oldskool", officially released and spread games. This isn't a critique of the scene or scene people -- it's just a statement that programmers of the old era could do better games (judge for yourself).

Rachy: cross development _was_ known still back in that era; a lot of C64 games were developed that way. I don't know if Plus/4 game developers used such development systems, though.

MC: Reverse engineering in fact haven't started with Yape, it probably started back in '95 or so (Marko Mäkelä).Those results just didn't make into Minus4, that's all (...but that fact has more to do with Minus4's development I guess).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024