Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-09-25
18:37:15
 Make the switch to FireFox

For those who are still using Internet Explorer: switch to FireFox, you won't regret it. I just learned today that M$ will be only releasing IE security updates to XP users, so anyone who still uses Win98, etc. are left out. (Of course you can always switch to FireFox, which is a free and safe alternative.)

Here's a very good article to consider, read it, it's worth it. I myself made the switch over a month ago, and I'm impressed. It's better in every way. For me, the most useful thing is that the tables render immediately and you don't have to wait until the whole page downloads (yes, I still use dialup).

Here's the link to their website: [ link ]. Switching doesn't mean you have to get rid of IE, you can still use it every once in a while if needed (e.g. the Windows Update only works in IE.) That's all I had to say wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2004-09-25
18:57:35
 Re: Make the switch to FireFox

100% agreed. I myself have been using Mozilla for 6 years now happy

Posted By

TMR
on 2004-09-26
16:04:30

Switched to Firefox and Thunderbird about three months ago and haven't looked back...

Posted By

Rachy
on 2004-09-27
02:09:46

I second that, I am using Firefox for 3 months already (I switched because it seemed IE isn't safe at all). I am pleased with it, especially with the lots of special extensions. And the Mozilla Calendar is nice too! happy

Posted By

TLC
on 2004-09-27
04:28:10

Been using Netscape since 2.0 or so... In fact I'm not surprised of Firefox' rendering capabilities, since those are 1-1 incorporated from Mozilla's rendering engine (and even Mozilla 1.x have been doing reasonably well in that subject). But Firefox and Thunderbird are simpler and less bloated than the earlier, all-in-one Mozilla releases, and that's why I vote for 'em wink .

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-09-27
04:36:15

I'm using Opera 7 (never used IE >happy , what suggestion do you have for me?

Posted By

Rachy
on 2004-09-28
03:30:37

SVS: try Firefox. I tried Opera before the switch, but I was not 100% pleased with it.

Posted By

Dan Wood
on 2004-10-02
21:24:34

I'm using it, however cannot configure the pop-up blocker to allow pop-up windows in my web mail account.. even though I have listed the site as a safe option it still blocks them.. seems there is no way to by-pass the in-built pop-up blocker (you usually can by pressing down CTRL with most pop-up block programmes..), has firefox got an option like this?

Til then, sticking with IE 6.

Posted By

Rachy
on 2004-10-03
04:15:08

Dan Wood: of course there is a configuration for popup blocker. Tools/Options/Web Features
there you can add sites for allowing popups.

Posted By

Rachy
on 2004-10-03
04:18:31

Ah, sorry. You are looking for a key to temporary enable popups, right? happy

That one I don't know, but there are several extensions, probably you can find something for your taste.

Posted By

TLC
on 2004-10-03
14:19:23

Whenever Firefox encounters a popup window from a site for which popups are disabled, you'll find a blue exclamation-mark appearing at the left bottom of the browser window. By double clicking on it, you can enable popups for that particular site. The good thing about this method is that it'll always show and set the correct URLs that you want enable popups for (you don't have to guess).

Posted By

MC
on 2004-10-04
03:10:14

I'm always using the latest IE with google toolbar, that's enough for me.
IE has got several stupid things, like cache getting full and then saving pictures as bmp, and not showing pages sources and such, but i ALWAYS had serious stability problems with Netscape and Mozilla (and other descendants), so i have a strong prejudice against those.
Anyone with a considerable experience in web development knows that Opera is simply dumb and full of errors. Strongly nonrecommended. happy

Posted By

TLC
on 2004-10-04
08:54:14

There are some more issues with IE I guess... It runs ActiveX components without having any real security abilities set by default, just to name one. For you or for me, that's probably not _much_ of a problem, since we used to know what to answer to IE's questions about installing some new "software" =) that we never requested from a particular site wink. But most users don't. Once even I have been successful =) in installing spyware onto my computer at home =))).

On the other hand... Firefox is pretty lightweight. As for stability, I used to run it on my workplace computer for weeks, without problems or exiting from it (Linux version...). I'm also using it under Windows, it haven't crashed so far. ...I like its simple popup killer features, the "open in new tab" =) features, the "copy link location" wink feature, the "view document source" feature (just to name a few). If you have some freetime for that, just give it a try, I guess you'll find it nice.

(Yep, Netscape 4.x and 6.x weren't deliberately famous of their stability ).

Posted By

MC
on 2004-10-05
08:11:53

Yesterday after posting here, i've installed Firefox. Nice and decent, even imported my IE cookies, that was amazing happy But somehow i'll still stick with the stupid IE. I've got used to it by now :D

Posted By

Rachy
on 2004-10-06
04:04:26

MC: I had the same feeling, but after installing 5-6 extensions for Firefox the IE capabilities just faded in my memory... happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-10-06
08:44:39

... IE capabilities ??? What?

Posted By

Rachy
on 2004-10-06
10:25:26

SVS: let's call it this way... wink

Posted By

Rachy
on 2004-10-06
10:25:55

BTW, I just installed adblock extension for Firefox, it is sooo useful!

Posted By

bubis
on 2004-10-06
11:00:36

Nice words! I believe you, I'll try it! happy

Posted By

TLC
on 2004-10-06
11:26:17

Hmmm, and there is also a small, yet efficient happy Flash-blocker extension around wink . Nice thing is, I always get noted about blocked content, so I can decide to see / play it just in case I want wink.

Posted By

MC
on 2004-11-12
04:45:09

Pheeew! happy
I'm gonna receive my first debit card to pay online, (mastercard) shortly, so it became urging to leave IE due to security reasons.
I've made the switch to FF at nov 9, it has some minor irritating issues, but it is very cool overall. Mouse gestures and adblock plugin are a MUST happy
I recommend "all-in-one gestures", the more popular mouse gesture plugin messed up my FF in every couple of hours. Beware happy

Posted By

MC
on 2004-11-12
04:55:35

However, Thunderbird was a failure, it imported tenthousands on my mails from OE, but failed to open one of the folders after importing was successful. Not a problem, OE seems fair to me, TB offers litte of features i'm really interested in.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-11-12
09:26:33

Yeah, I think the REAL power of FireFox is in the extensions. I also installed Download Manager Tweak, Image Zoom and Magpie. Adblock is a definite favourite! I love blocking out ads (or sometimes even just part of a ewbpage if the graphics is too elaborate) happy

Same opinion on Thunderbird: Outlook Express is fine, especially that on my new computer it's powered up with Norton Antispam, which does a wonderful job.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2004-11-12
10:18:54

Made the switch myself a few weeks ago, haven't looked back. happy

Just one thing about the comment in the first post about using IE for Windows Update. If you have WinXP, you don't need IE for Windows Update.

Start > Help and Support > Keep your computer up-to-date with Windows Update happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-11-12
13:39:00

What comes up in that window is in fact an instance of Internet Explorer. Point is, with FireFox you cannot perform that, you'll just get a short page explaining that you must be using IE. Glad to hear that you have switched though happy

Posted By

Rachy
on 2004-11-13
03:42:16

Firefox 1.0 is out there, I was just not brave enough to upgrade because of the extensions. I need them all and some of them is not yet working with 1.0.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-11-13
14:28:51

Hehe, extensions rule happy I'll probably stick with this version until the extension developers catch up - especially that I can't find any bugs or problems. Well, while we're talking about FireFox (and this does seem to be a popular topic), what Themes are you guys using? I'm using Noia 2.0, and I can recommend it wholeheartedly, it's very, very, very cool!

Posted By

Rachy
on 2004-11-14
05:13:25

@Csabo

It had been said that there are numerous security flaws in the 0.9.x versions, and those were fixed only in 1.0. That is why I plan to switch sooner or later.

BTW I am using the original skin, it is good enough for me.

Posted By

J. Robertson
on 2004-11-14
10:27:23

A Mozilla user for nearly two years and loving it! wink

Posted By

MC
on 2004-11-19
06:20:24

I'm using the original gray skin, eyecandies are not my style happy