Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-09-08
13:52:48
 Inst/Del hates $FF1D?

Coding some stuff that use text writing ($ffe4/$ffd2):
inst/del key works well; then, randomly, the cursor disappears, and you write text randomly in the memory, until you press return key.

This weird sequence doesn't occur when splitscreen irq code slice is off (imagine it like a comparing with $FF1D and series of FF06/FF07/FF12/FF14/FF15/FF19 settings, nothing more than these).

Maybe $FFE4 kernal hates $FF1D?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-09-08
21:57:19
 Re: Inst/Del hates $FF1D?

I don't think there's a direct relation there. Are you sure you're not modifying other memory locations? (Perhaps something used by the ROM rutines.)

Without seeing a code sample (or a link to a temorarly release), we can only guess in the dark...

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-09-09
02:21:40

Have you performed a SEI before to modify TED registers? (... followed by CLI after done)

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-09-09
19:02:37

I'd thought it was because of $FFE2, hence I write:
.sei
.jsr$ffe2
.cli
and it really worked fine, lucky first strike!

But now I have a brand new nasty flicker in the upper border (a momentary flash) when pressing inst/del with TED music only, not SID one.

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-09-10
03:37:05

Errata corrige:
sei
.jsr$ffd2
.cli

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-09-10
04:38:49

I avoided the bug in this way:
>>>previously, with a LAME use of $FF1D (I'lll never do it again!), I splitted the screen in two halves, with the first 8 rows occupied by bitmap and the other rows with text; the problem was that if you press inst/del when the cursor is in the first 16 text columns, the upper border flickers cause raster bugs

>>>now, I compare $FF1D not with #$00, but with #$37, using a nop-loop in order to start it from the very first row, and the flicker is not visible now when inst/del is pressed

A note: in this way, I obtain a real stable raster with an added rasterline just before the first text row and an added rasterline after the 8th text row. Dunno why...

For lamer coders as me: ppl I suggest you to never use this shitty way of coding, next time I'll use raster I'll code lotta $fffe/$ffff storing coupled with $ff0b check, much more flexible and you can link lotta stuff each other.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-09-10
12:04:54

It's so good to hear someone talk about coding eh wink I can't wait to see what you will cook up!

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-09-10
12:59:24

As I wrote before, I'm coding a LoneNews editor to spread AOTW, in order to allow all the contributors to write their articles for the mag. All this effort is a mere motivation in order to implement my autolearning about ML I'm efforting these days.
At the moment, the stuff seems to work, I'm going to implement the I/O (hence, I'm studying a bit of useful kernal routines), an help page and finally some touches like additional graphics, an external .nfo text and all the rest.
Dunno why, but my LN charset was hated since the first mag's issue, you nast ppl!
Hence probably I'll change it...

What about a picture? Please, note the very stable raster (on YAPE, I guess on the real machine should be the same) and the additional black lines above and under the bitmap slice.

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-09-10
13:03:08

At the moment, the editor is playing an horrible Sabrina Salerno's tune.
Which kind of music do you prefer instead in the final version?
Apropo, I'll make you choice between TLC's frq V1.5 and SIDcard.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-09-10
21:49:16

Who said the charset was hated? You know, I never wanted to say this, because there are so few people doing ANYTHING on the machine, so I try to give postive feedback, but they were sort of right... The charset is a bit hard to read. And what is the #1 purpose of a mag? To be read. Therefore it's very important to have a clear, easy to read charset... You can still do lots of fancy things with the logo/intro etc. happy

The dragon + logo looks AMAZING, BTW!

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-09-11
01:43:36

Yeah, I still should do lotta fancy things. But I think it will remain as simple as you can see in the .gif: I'm both learning new things and implementing them into this stuff, and it's a bit tiring. I need to divide my learning in several blocks: with the editor's coding, I learnt a lot about kernal especially, and once it'll be finished, I'll read a lot again about raster, scrolling, charplasma (there is a famous article on Signals 9 and whatever else.
At the moment, I could code a very lame intro in pure Tarzan-style, I prefer to wait just a bit, e.g. I wanna be ready for that "20 years Anniversary" demo that seems to levitate over our heads like a ghost. Lavinaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Posted By

MC
on 2004-09-14
08:44:05

Yep Luca, you definetly should include a charset that is a bit readable happy

Posted By

MC
on 2004-09-14
08:44:25

eeerr i mean a bit MORE readable :]

Posted By

Luca
on 2004-09-15
06:55:51

Ok, ok, aufff...
Suggest me: what about one of these (lowcase only)?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-09-15
20:42:55

My vote is on #3 or #4. The rest of them are still too fancy! Also, I think the one pixel wide vertical lines (e.g. #5) are too hard to read on some monitors.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024