Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2001-02-14
 Did anyone buy Pin Point owning a 16k C16?

Did you find the game to crash at the start of Level 2 ?

Well I just got hold of my first C16 yesterday, been after one for my collection and it's great to have it only ever using the good old Plus/4 all this time.

To my surprise Pin Point crashed (Original Tape version). I thought the machine was faulty or the game did'nt load correct.

So I ran a test with YAPE in C16 - 16k mode. Using my Tap image the game again crashed at the start of level 2.

Do you know of any other 16k games that don't run on a C16 with 16k of memory?

This is very intresting....

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-05-07
11:27:15
 Re: Did anyone buy Pin Point owning a 16k C16?

Yeah I have just dug this back out... 11 years later.

Emulation has come along way now and I'm not talking just the machines, but also the official cassette images now run!

Here's the thing... My memory is not what it once was because of illness and I have been driving my self crazy wondering why Pin Point the cassette will not run on my real Commodore C16. I started messing about with the heads thinking the 1531 was out, to tell you the truth my main one has died and will not go forwards so I dug another one out... had to be sure.

Today I grabbed my Commodore 1541-II out to load a crack off disc. Game crashed at level2.
Next I plugged in my 16k RAM, again the game crashed at level2.

Yes I'm going around in circles.

So here I am once again. I just fired YAPE up running a stock C16 with 16k and loaded the .tap image and as before in my first post it crashes as soon as you end level 1 to start level 2. Its the same crash your see on a real C16.

I have come to the conclusion that Pin Point must be a 64k only title!! There is something wrong with it that causes a crash on a C16, like a reverse of a C16 only game that will not run on a plus4.
We know level 8 is bugged... but something else is too and I'm starting to smile a bit thinking no one had the skills to test the game on a real C16, they just loaded it up and said YEAH it works??? wink

Before anyone jumps the gun, this is the Anco version of Pin Point. I have no idea if the Kingsoft release or if Compilations are effected in the same way. Remember the .tap of Pin Point was from my tape too.
I have just check the HOME SOFT crack with YAPE C16 16k and it crashes, but it's not the same crash as the .tap as it does a CPU JAM. You may even get a CPU JAM out of the crack before you have finished the level from failed attempts.

EDIT:

I have just loaded the .tap on a 64k C16 using YAPE and the game does not crash going into Level 2.
So is this a 64K only game I wonder seeing as it does not work correct on a C16 and with an added 16k RAM pack.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2012-05-07
18:01:05

Geez, Bro, I can still recall this one... nice find. Would be interesting to dissect the stuff to check what exactly goes wrong...

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-21
22:54:16

No rush Gaia, just very strange. wink
At least we have your awesome Yape and the actual .tap now. It's not every day I fire the C16 up and you can see how long ago it was with Pin Point and why I forgot! happy

If it helps and for anyone else reading that may not of played Pin Point and would like to complete the first level for a look.

Pressing Fire is not only Jump to get across gaps, but it can also be used as a Top Speed Spin when held pushing fowards so you can climb up hills. It can also be used as a Super Brake if you pull back in the opposite direction when going down slopes while pressing Fire, tho you still need to time it so you have the room to allow it to stop - it may even go in reverse back up slope if you hold it too much. grin

One last tip. If your at full speed running along side a wall you can steer into the wall and the Spinning Top will stop dead on the spot.

A tricky game for sure, but level one is easy enough with a little practice.

EDIT:

I was lucky enough to grab another copy of Pin Point which I imported all the way from Germany just to check, I now have two copies. grin

Sadly it's identical in every way to my original. From the actual tape, the cover which is all in English to the game it's self. Again it crashed on level 2 on a C16 with 16k. Looks like me and Norbert were the only people in the world that liked this one, but we both had Plus/4's lol. As I've said before, it's a broken game any way as it's messed up on the last screen of level 8 and can not be finished. One of those things I guess.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-22
02:44:54

Although it runs on a Plus4, does it work on a C16+64K without any problems?

I'm not sure if there are any other slight differences, the 3-plus-1 business package being the obvious difference though.

Posted By

Hans
on 2012-07-22
02:57:37

Hi there

Sixteen Plus wrote:

...the 3-plus-1 business package being the obvious difference though...

...which doesn't interfere with the memory management at all. But maybe the internal hardware management? There's no expansion port on a C16 / 116.

?????
Hans.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-26
05:33:21

Yes it runs on a C16 with 64k just like a Plus4, of course I can only test this with Yape but it's fine.

On that list of games where I added all the joy ports I said, (64k ONLY) for Pin Point next to it which covers all 264's with 64k. wink

EDIT:

Something else I noticed yesterday from messing about:
If you load Pin Point up on any 64K 264 and then do a Soft Reset your end up having a 16K machine!!! Was not funny when I first saw this on my real Plus4 but is now lol. wink

I may of, and that's a big MAY OF found another 16k game that crashes on a C16. Need to do a lot more testing first, but it would not surprise me if there are more having been originally coded on a Plus/4 in the first place.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024