Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Jason
on 2004-07-14
16:16:16
 .TAP files

I'm using YAPE for emulation, and am trying to create .TAP files, but am having problems, the ones on here, when you play them in Windows Media Player, you can hear the sound, the one with YAPE doesn't make any sound and seem to load at all ..... does anyone have any good advice please?

Thanks,

Jason

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-07-14
16:29:28
 Re: .TAP files

I think there's some confusion about the file formats. The .TAP files are a in Commodore specific format and as far as I know you cannot play them with WMP. The files that you CAN play are .WAV files, that's a standard file format for storing any kind of sound. They also tend to be even larger than .TAP files.

Another simple way of telling which format you are using would be just to open them in Notepad (or some other text editor). The header (at least) will be readable, either "RIFF...." (which means .WAV file) or "C16-TAPE-RAW..." (which means .TAP).

So, which one is it that you have a problem with?

Posted By

Jason
on 2004-07-14
17:00:06

I downloaded "Finders Keepers" and openened it with WMP, and it did play ... and made the noise the tape would, so I loaded a PRG file into the emulator and followed the instructions on making a .TAP file, which I did, after testing it does load, takes a little while though, but attempting the same thing as before with WMP, it won't play ... I will try opening them both with notepad and see what it says.

Thanks

Posted By

Jason
on 2004-07-14
17:04:05

After looking this is what's in the header of the files:

Mr Puniverse (got confused sorry!) (Downloaded) - RIFF'9WAVEfmt
Treasure Island (The one I made) - C16-TAPE-RAW

So there is a difference, is there anyway of converting the .PRG file to the WAVE version?

Just interested in trying it, thought it would be fun!

Jason

Posted By

Gaia
on 2004-07-15
17:59:00

You can generate WAV files directly from Yape, just when you fire up the dialog window named 'Create TAP' make sure you select WAV as the format below.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024