Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-05-27
02:21:23
 Search for "NorthSpeed"

By (re)reading the evergreen articles of our dear Jim H., this night (!), I've just found that he refers as compilers for Plus4, to AustroSpeed and to NORTHSPEED for Plus4. Hey, surely I need it!
Has anybody heard about it, or even know who owns a copy?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-05-29
20:42:29
 Re: Search for "NorthSpeed"

Haven't heard of NorthSpeed, but you could post the place where you read it. Was it a Plus/4 magazine, or a real article? Perhaps there's another reference there that you may have missed.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2015-12-10
11:43:39

I just read about "NorthSpeed" here (written by BushRat).

"If you are going to compile programs, using Austrospeed+4 or NorthSpeed, you will need to change a couple of commands."

And when I searched the site for it, SVS's thread came up. I remember that BushRat had a huge collection of programs. Has anyone searched through that, yet?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-12-10
12:47:26

Yes, I have a copy of his archives (as well as all known D64 and PRG files which we've ever seen, I think). I just looked and unfortunately no hits for "northspeed" (tried "north" and "speed" separately).

At this moment the status of that release is unknown.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2015-12-10
16:40:49

Maybe it's just a North American (NTSC) version of Austrospeed? Not sure whether it messes with the NTSC bit though.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-12-10
20:53:15

My thoughts exactly about the name.

I looked again, and one of the cracks indeed says "North*Soft Presents The Plus/4 Version Of" (Austro Speed). It's an English crack, but not the one by SVS'... I guess this must be it?

Posted By

Chicken
on 2015-12-11
10:20:27

I ended up with the same conclusion. The "…speed" made it seem like another "AustroSpeed" derivative anyway.

Thanks, Csabo, for checking the archives again! The "North*Soft" crack is obviously the one refered to by BushRat.

Has anyone tried if the "North*Soft" crack requires SVS's fix?

While searching the site for compilers I found the post about PLUS-Comp. Funny, that I had forgotten about that one and it never showed up here before. I got it back in the '90s and thought it looked very similar to "AustroSpeed". Though, I've never really used it because of missing instructions.

Has anyone compared the output of PLUS-Comp and AustroSpeed?

Posted By

SVS
on 2015-12-12
04:53:49

@Chicken and to summarize compilers situation:

- Actually the best version of Austrospeed is Austrosimple". It was fixed by MikeZ and doesn't need to apply SVS-fix to the compiled code;
- Maybe the original version used by MikeZ was that phantom Northspeed, being in English (and being not my translation), but the name in the code is always "Austro...";
- Plus-comp is at a lower level than Austrospeed. It accepts less Basic commands and some situations are seen as Syntax Error where Austrospeed doesn't.

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-12-12
14:05:44

Hi SVS,
Thanks for the test and clarification. Plus-Comp -according to it's own manual- stated to be somehow faster than the Austrospeed.

Only one question left: if I remember well, in my tests the Austrospeed did not tolerate well the SYS commands. Do you have any experience with that on Plus-Comp? In my program I will try to use some KERNAL routines, they will definitely need a SYS command.

Posted By

SVS
on 2015-12-12
14:55:43

@MMSZ:
No, I had no experience of problems using SYS command. What errors/situations happen?

BTW could you send me the manual of Plus-Comp you cited (or link to)? Thanx.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2015-12-12
16:09:24
 PLUS-Comp Manual

SVS, thanks for your reply above. I think MMS refers to the translated manual on the PLUS-Comp page. He added some information there.

Posted By

SVS
on 2015-12-13
08:51:53

You made me in the mood to retry with Plus-Comp :)
I've performed some tests and I discovered that RESTORE and GETKEY commands cause compiler to output ?Syntax error.

And another question: the manual says that sources including GRAPHIC command "Such programs need to be compiled with GRAFIKUS compiling mode" but how to do this?

Thank you for your comment and suggestions.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2015-12-14
00:58:52

I didn't have the chance to try it, yet. I just checked the PLUS-Comp thread here …

http://plus4world.powweb.com/forum/28184

Even if PLUS-Comp was created on a C64 (and in BASIC 2.0), compiling for a different target platform including BASIC 3.5 commands could be possible. (I think the plus/4 version of AustroSpeed was more or less a BASIC 2.0 program as well.)

Has anyone tried something like this?

10 #be
20 graphic 1,1
30 circle 1,100,100,20
40 #ki

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024