Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

bigcol
on 2004-04-08
07:34:13
 Programming book query/request

Sorry first post here!

I had a programming book when I was a kid which was the "Type in your own" style - it had 16(ish) games (one was Star Trek, one was a Maze game) and some of the games were quite neat.

Does anyone remember the book or what it was called?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-04-08
09:34:10
 Re: Programming book query/request

Could it have been C16 Games Book from Melbourne? The games were also released on tape: Commodore 16 Games Pack I, this one includes Star Trader and a Maze game...

Posted By

bigcol
on 2004-04-08
10:17:21

Hmm no - the game was actually called "Star Trek" - guess they didn't care so much about copyright in them days! It was quite similar to a Star Trek game i've seen for the C64, but seeing as there were so many I won't digress. It had a warp function and was sort of a first person flyer with some status/map screens on the bottom.

It was a hard-back book. The maze game required you typing in endless lines of numbers i.e. data 000,002,003 etc and wasn't very good even when it worked. I'm trying to think of some of the other games, but I at present I can't remember - that's why I am looking for it. Oh there was a Marie Celeste text adventure game.

The reason i've not got it now is that it literally fell to bits through over use - I've got the 100 programmes for the C16 which is listed on this site - that one is still intact.

Oh well I love a good puzzle!

PS How do you create an account?

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2004-04-08
10:26:27

The book you're after is Commodore 16 Games Book from Collins, written by Jim Gregory. However, this book seems particularly hard to find.

Posted By

bigcol
on 2004-04-08
10:40:27

Ok well fair enough - the games in the pack mentioned above are not the games that were in the book, so maybe the problem lies there?

Anyway I'll do a hunt around the net - see if I can find some more details about this elusive book.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2004-04-08
11:15:53

Seems to be a bit of confusion here...

That games pack has nothing to do the book you had. happy

There are two books entitled "Commodore 16 Games Book" one from Melbourne House, the other from Collins. That games pack has the games from the Melbourne House book, whereas the book you're describing is the Collins book.

Unfortunately, due to the rarity of the book, we don't have the games that were in it. (at least not Star Trek and Marie Celeste. There is a Star Trek game on this site, but it doesn't work on the C16, so it's not the correct one)

Posted By

bigcol
on 2004-04-08
11:18:39

Oh I see right I get you - mystery solved.

Shame it is so rare - with a scanner you could avoid all that hassle of typing them in happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2004-04-08
17:22:06

Hehe, I guess I was right about the title but not the published. It's weird to have two books with the exact same title. Anyway, it's good you brought it up, it would be EVER so nice to get out hands on that Collins book, or that Mary Celeste adventure game. So listen up y'all: does anybody have this book out there? Help us out!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024