Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-11-26
 Compression

I have to compress a file residing onto Basic area ($1001...$FBFF).
I tried many common progs, but most of them hang, being the area too large. The only one that works is the old KNM COMPRESSER that operates to/from disk, but unfortunately the result is not so good (low compression rate and distorted text colors).
What other compresser could I to use?
Thank you.

P.S. HCS PACKER 9 works too, but the "BASIC RUN" jmp seems not work as well.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-11-26
 Re: Compression

Try exomizer or pucrunch.

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-11-26

You could try to use the Zipper by Synergy. Its a bytepacker that should be able to compress your file, but you should use a sequence packer after that. I dont remember whether the packer was buggy - admittingly i never used it byself happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-11-27

Thank Bionic very much. But let me understand: what do you mean with "SEQ-PACKER"?

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-11-27

SVS: The zipper is just a "byte compressor" (very inaccurate and misleading name used back in the scnee). Its just compressing runs of equal characters but does not find repetitions of strings etc. Thats why you have to do a second pass, for example with cruelcrunch.

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-11-27

Ah! OK.
But my problem is to run the BASIC program, after expanding process. Many of compressers I used are not able to start properly with JMP $8BDC (except KNM CRUNCHER).

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-11-27

Valentino, try to compress *first* with Deli Compacker KNM Version (KNM Cruncher you know) and *then* with HCS Packer 9. You can change the finale CLI with a SEI if needed.

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-11-27

Thank Luca: indeed this is the *normal* way I use. happy
But KNM Packer has a fastidious bug: sometimes (this one yes ) it changes the colors. Then when HCS Packer does its work, it finds the code already distorced...

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-11-27

Omg, but there are lotta packers in the archive, enjoy trying all! happy
For basic stuff, you should have a jb-packer somewhere

Posted By

Magnus Lind
on 2003-11-27

The pc cross-cruncher Exomizer includes a tool just for the purpose of running basic programs after decrunch. This tool is called exobasic and can also renumber, remove whitespace and rem statements and further optimize the basic program so that it compresses better.

However this tool is still in beta but I would sure like some feedback.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024