Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-10-30
 Out-border text (graphics :) )

I'm searching (and studying too) for the possibilities of an use of screen border area.
Anybody could tip me any suggestion/knowledge/etc.?
Thanx people.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-10-30
 Re: Out-border text (graphics :) )

I'm not proficient with this topic, but ff1d writes can easily do the trick with the top and bottom borders.
Sideborders are a pain, see Five magics by GOTU for sideborder demolition happy And for example, HeartFixer for the FF1D trick.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-10-30

It's best if you do a search on the site. It's all there in the old mail archives.

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-10-30

It seems that once Larry was able to write text on sideborders. Who does know more?

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-10-30

You can extend the testscreen with some $ff1e tricks. The trick is that you have to invert any value you write into this reg. Also the timing has to by cycle exact.

It is possible to display a few extra characters in the border, however it seems that you can only display character $00 (@). Maybe some $ff1a/$1b and hires tricks may help here. You also have to deal with bad lines or avoid them by manipulating $ff1d or $ff1f.

Some additional horizontal cycles could be gained by "stealing" the refresh cycles...

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-10-30

some additional info:

Why is it only possible to display charactor $00?

The character (and color) information is loaded into a 40x8bit memory on the TED during a bad line. During the character display two bytes of this memory have to be fetched for each char. To save some die space the chip designers did not use a real adress decoder, but a simple linear shift register. At a specific position to the left of the textscreen a single 1 is loaded into the shift register and shifted during each character cycle. After char 40 has been displayed, the 1 will be shifted out of the register so that no position of the memory is adressed and just some default value (apparantly $00) is fetched.

To display chars other than $00 the TED has to be tricked into resetting the shift register somewhere..

btw. here is a die-photo of the relevant parts of a VIC. This aspect is identical to the TED.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-10-31

we put text (numbers) on the sideborder in Five Magics. happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-10-31
 --->> Lavina Re: Out-border text (graphics :) )

Lavina,
could you kindly supply me the lines, avoiding me time and energy to search them for? happy
Many thanks!

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-10-31
 --->> Bionic Re: Out-border text (graphics :) )

Could you too, to send me some code/text/source-lines...?
Many thanx!

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-11-01

svs: sorry, I do not have any code readily available. All information you need is in the TED-Datasheet. But if you want to know how some effect works, just use TEDMON. happy Reverse engineering other peoples stuff is the only way to learn 8-bit programming .. back in the days nobody gave sourcecode away.

Besides - not all people had sources after all. I coded everything but my very last demo in TEDMON. wink

Posted By

MC
on 2003-11-01

so as i did!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-11-03

SVS ! Sorry, ask Crown for it, he was the master behind this effect! wink

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-11-03

Here is the 40x34 text screen generator used in Heartfixer:

http://bubis.resource.cx/plus4/src/40x34irq.s

Needs modification because sometimes the cursor is blinkink on the screen. happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-11-03

Thank you Bubis

Crown... it's on you, now (thank you)

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024