Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-17
 Hyper Sports Plus

Very nice work on Hyper Sports Csabo! Love that new version of the Hyper Sports logo you added. Great we get to see some events you could only dream of seeing or may never of seen thinking about it. The ESC feature rocks!!! happy

A very worthy update to a game that needed it! happy

Cheers!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-17
 Re: Hyper Sports Plus

Thank you for the kind words, good sir happy By the way, I squeezed it in as much as possible to aim for 32K size. This means that even a C16 with the 16K expansion should be able to run the game. I know you have one of those. Could you try it just to make sure?

Also, another little side note: the compressed program is small enough to load into a regular C16, but it would not work of course. Rather than crashing like most such games, I added an extra few bytes to check and make sure there is enough memory. If there isn't, the game refuses to run with an error message. By 2003's standards, such things are a MUST. You hear this, demoscene? If you make your demo PAL only for example (as 99% of them are) at least exit gracefully on an NTSC machine.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-17

A touch of class to let the user know that the program won't run on their machine!
I'll try as soon as I can to test it on my beats of a C16 happy

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-09-17

Csabo: Better than having a message "This program requires Microsoft Windows." happy

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-18

How to check for NTSC? ff07 has 6th bit set?
I think i'll do that as i'm strongly a fond of software ergonomy. Seriously.

A more important question: how to make a demo NTSC-fixed? What's the difference from PAL?

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-18

And btw, how could i detect a SID card?

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-09-18

Something like

LDA #$08
STA $FF07

totally screws up an NTSC machine while it's a common way of doing things on PAL. The desired method should be:

LDA $FF07
ORA #$08
STA $FF07

This is the way to fix most programs for NTSC, too. Well, also the sound and the eventual tape routines have to considered. You can easily detect an NTSC machine several ways:

- like the C64, using the rasterline counter (knowing NTSC never goes above ~261)
- checking the ROM since they are different
- reading bit #6 (chrystal clock divisor flag) of $FF07 (but that can be overwritten so it's not 100% safe)

Maybe Csabo can give you further hints, he has also experience! =)

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024