Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-08-25
 Plus 4 problem

I got a plus 4 that I won on Ebay today, but there is a problem- the two joystick ports don't work at all. When you wiggle a joystick about on the plus 4, I assume that letters and numbers come up on the "Ready."screen like they do on the C16. When I do it on this machine, nothing happens. And I've loaded up games with no response from the stick. So it looks like it's buggered. Strange that both joystick ports would totally fail to work though, that's what puzzles me. Is this a problem that anyone else has had?

Posted By

MC
on 2003-08-26
 Re: Plus 4 problem

I think this is a typical TED problem, most old +4s have this defect.

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-08-26

I didn't realise it was that common - I take it that makes it beyond repair then?

Posted By

MC
on 2003-08-26

i think it was common, i saw a lot of this kind of defect.
you can repaid by replacing the TED chip, i suppose. happy

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-08-26

Verify that the joystick's plug wiring is soldered well to the motherboard. TED reads the joystick through the keyboard latch, but if it gets no signal from the joystick, then it can't read it. One wire of each plug is a +5V lead to power the joystick's switches.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-08-26

TED is dead I would of thought because the same thing happened to a guy I used to know. We swaped the TED for another and his Plus/4 was fine. I found out he'd been using some dodgy joysticks with 101 auto fire buttons on. Wiped the joyports out as soon as he pluged them in..

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-08-26

Yeah same thing happened, the Plus4 worked other than the joyports.

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-08-26

Well, I'd just like one of you people in the know about this to confirm one thing: that there is no difference between the joystick ports on a C16 and a Plus 4. I'm pretty certain there isn't, am I right?
I think my next job is to find the nearest bin and lob it in there.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-08-26

Spector, there is no difference between C16 and Plus/4 joystick ports.

I would keep the Plus/4 for parts if I were you. If your C16 power supply fails or your 8501 (7501 in some machines) goes, you can put your C16's TED into the Plus/4 and keep playing. wink

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-08-27

You all guys should consider the "TED protection" by Solder.
This little card will protect your TED from these troubles.
I have one, and since then, I work with the same TED IC (years) happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-08-27

Keep hold of the Plus4. If everything else is working inc the keyboard (all keys work ok) then keep it. If you get another you can swap parts about or what ever. Finding a good working Plus4 can be hard. It may take 1 or 2 Plus4's to make one good one.

Posted By

MC
on 2003-08-27

I heard that plugging / unplugging joys during uptime can cause that TED failure in long time.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-08-27

Yes, but Solder is not selling anything anymore... so one has to solder himself happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-09-01

The project of selfmaking this board too, could be considered after the SID card plan.
BTW what's situation about this?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024