Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2024-04-08
14:03:16
 Re: Hannes 256k for Plus4: where to get?

(update I will make the pictures smaller)

So on the C64 the GeoRAM was a real thing. It was available in 512KB size, but as you can see from the name, mainly GEOS was able to utilizer it, as it has no real MMU (Memory Management Unit), so almost the same as Hannes RAM.
GeoRAM had also 16KB blocks, but the big difference you can select 256 byte long chuncks from that.
https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/GeoRAM

The GeoRAM / NeoRAM is emulated via the C64 VICE emulation, and you know it is also NeoRAM too, as >512KB is available happy

I suppose the GeoRAM / NeoRAM would be a great step forward for the 264.
Right now due to different command registers it is not compatible with Hannes Csory method, -->it has no support on 264.

Though i think NeoRAM could have been made Hannes compatible as it has the same 16KB blocks (could use their own registers, and use the Hannes registers in case the prg is just Hannes compatible). If the program supporets Neoram, then it can select the smaller 256 byte blocks too via the other registers.

As no such thing existr right now, as a RAM expanmsion unit for the 264 series (even the simple 64K RAM upgrade for C16 is questionmarked if possible), there is no RAM expansion emulation is possible.

The funny thing is the cartridge door has the text RAM Expansion, just somehow the developers forgot to provide the signal for the port supporting this happy.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024