Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2024-04-05
16:38:17
 Re: Hannes 256k for Plus4: where to get?

On the hardware side I am also rather weak, but I am on the software side too LOL.

As you may see, there is a thread about Sukkopera's priceless efforts to realize the solderless Hannes memory expansion. In the thread I see most of our hardware experts share their ideas and concepts to realize this new HW without involving old, and expensive (hard to get) parts.

Without the wish to reduce Sukkopera's future potential customers (actually you can hardly find anyone less focused on profit and incomes than him) currently there is only one place I know you can get this 256KB expansion.

This is the 6502PLUS4 CPU replacement. (in fact: 512KB), It is stated it is Hannes Compatible, but because of the 512KB maybe also Csory compatible. Frankly speaking, I've never tested the 256KB function, just believed it should work happy

It is a great way to swap a defective CPU, but you will get an extra 512KB SRAM too (you know I have crazy ideas utilizing this SRAM (can be accessed at almost any speed, and no refresh required) to create an ultra speed CPU, but eh happy

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=257

You just need to swap the CPU with this replacement board, and for the 256KB solder on the motherboard ONE single wire, and remove the two DRAM chips. Well, if they are socketed, you are lucky, otherwise the easiest way to cut them out with a side cutter, though it is a rather rude method.

But nothing to be modified, cut or shortcut in the machine's motherboard (like the traditional 64KB upgrade).

I applied it in my C16, has much more space internally. It will NOT work with the Commodore factory PSU, you need a stronger one, maybe close to 2A power on 9V (or 1.5A if you are able to swap the old ROMs to new, low power consumption EPROMs)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024