Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-03-29
17:25:36
 Mad Pod Race!

Mad Pod Race screenshotLBM is back (after a slight 31-year break) with a brand new game: Mad Pod Race! Up to three players can play this Star Wars-themed racing game. You get a top-down view of the race track, and you must reach the checkpoints as fast as possible while avoiding crashing into your opponents.

There are 15 levels to play. 3... 2... 1... Go!

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-03-29
17:25:36
 Re: Mad Pod Race!

It's totally great, and it's a grand comeback for LBM! But I really really REALLY can't understand which conditions you have to reach to pass Level 5 when it writes:"...with a minute". It says that I passed the screen but then it bounces me at 5 again...

Posted By

LBM
on 2024-03-30
01:55:55

For the next level you have tó reach the necessary number of poinrs. If you don't have enough you see how many is missing át the result screen.
Át every level you have a best level score. Your total score is calculated from these level scores, só if you try a level again, you will have more poinrs only if you beat the best level score.

Some hints:
- Try tó make the bonus task, which requires the best time exactly 7 seconds as precise as you can.
- You can try tó beat your best score at any unlocked level, just use the arrow keys át the level information screen tó select the level.
- The tutorial can give you points also.
- You don't have tó fullfill every bonus task tó reach the end of the game.

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-03-30
04:45:56

Aha! So the game actually has a end!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2024-03-30
14:35:23

Nice! Another new game! We are almost spoiled. happy But LBM shouldn't post from his phone or at least he should turn off autocorrect. grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2024-03-30
14:18:49

Ok, now I finally played it as it deserves, and it occupied my whole afternoon, then I casted a very high vote for it: it's very very amusing!

Physics are fantastic, though not impeccable at times, I simply loved all the references and citations from the old scene, and the style is so modern and contemporary. It also has a great rate in its global durability, 'coz it's a challenge ready any time for the gamer!

Now: I got some passwords, so where to enter them in order to immediately unlock the levels? Maybe I've had a superficial read of the instruction, could be?

Only for the site's managing: can we tag it as "has an end, restarts"? Or does it have a real ending in some ways?

I dare to suggest – a big deal for a pretty nice game like this, indeed! – three fields of improvement:
- the best would be a password system or a save option in order to store and preserve the achieved results, so you can have your own challenge at any reload of the game! Maybe the lack of it means that this has to be an arcade-like experience, in which rebuild your career at any play session...
- having softsprites, I would have preferred some merciful collisions. I mean, a smaller collision box compared to the obstacles. Of course, keep in mind that I cannot know how this decision would eventually condition the code and if it can actually be possible to add preserving the current fluidity of the game;
- just as I suggested in beta phase, very few characters might have been spent in order to draw some very tiny lines on the tracks – a bit like Mayan signs on the sand – using the common color, just to fulfill the visuals. Again, I cannot know if you had free chars for it.

Once again, congratulations to all of you guys. @LBM this represents a gigantic comeback by you. Dozens years ago, your Atomino fulfilled my afternoons, it's now 2024 and this hasn't changed! wink

Posted By

LBM
on 2024-03-31
02:10:35

Thank you Luca for the feedback and your kind words. Before I would answer your questions, I would like to share some details about the development, because it may help to understand some decisions about the game. Basically the development was started after the deadline of the competition was extended, so I had to schedule my time precisely. Although I had very big plans at the start as usual, but I had to cut it back and made a lot of simplification in order to finish the project in time. For example, the save feature was one of the victims of this process. Because of this, in single player mode you have to start always from the beginning, but the game has only 15 levels, so it is not an impossible task to reach the last level without saving.

The passwords you collected can be used in multiplayer mode, which is enabled if you set up more than one human players. In this mode, you don't get points, but you can play any levels with the codes. By modifying the settings, you can unlock levels for the single player mode also, but it is not the best way to play the game.

If you mean the merciful collision between the pod and the rocks, than smaller collision box is possible. If there will be an update, I will try this suggestion.

There would be some free chars for additonal visual elements, but there is no specified truck in the game. You can reach the checkpoints in different paths and you have to find the best one or the best, which fit to the bonus task.

Posted By

Ko-Ko
on 2024-04-03
03:37:10

What a comeback! I've just tried out the game and it's really a good one. The graphics and music are also fantastic, congrats guys!

Posted By

JuanK​APlus
on 2024-04-05
15:45:55

Had a lot of fun playing this one, sorry for the newbie question but which sort of GPU would be needed for the SuperAI to work?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-04-05
17:19:34

That was meant to be a little joke happy Modern PCs have GPUs, the Plus/4 doesn't, so unfortunately there's no SuperAI.

Similarly, some of the levels have a bonus requirements like "drink a glass of water", but those are obviously not checked wink

Posted By

Mad
on 2024-04-10
20:57:15

Nice game.. I have to check a glass of water now!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024