Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

George
on 2024-01-18
09:47:01
 Your Sd2Iec drive recommandations

Hi all

my old Sd2iec drive is so old, that its firmware cannot be upgraded without hardware modifications to load recent d64 images.

I am considering to buy a new one. My wishlist on functionality:
* Should run and connect to a Plus_4 and C64
* Firmware should be easy upgradable
* (matches the Plus/4 in design)

What do you use? Whats your recomandation?

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-01-18
10:51:30
 Re: Your Sd2Iec drive recommandations

www.tfw8b.com

I bought one about 5 or so years ago but not directly from the webpage but their eBay store as it was easier. I believe they are UK based though. This was before covid and I have "never" updated it, Turbo OutRun works fine if that's what your wondering.
It's a basic black one and I think they are all for C64 style now. It came with an adapter for C16/Plus4 use.

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-01-18
12:06:38

I made and self-built my own, based on this design. The nice thing when you build something yourself is that you know exactly what you put on it. Yeah, it does not have a case but personally I don't care.

Whatever you choose, keep in mind that all the electronic components needed to build *any* SD2IEC cost less than 10€. Please don't fuel those stupid sharks who sell them at gold prices (I'm NOT referring to TFW8B, I also bought my first SD2IEC from him, it's good but be aware that you are probably paying more for the case than for the device).

On a side note, I am quite positive that your current SD2IEC can be updated. Can you open it and send a picture and/or report whatever is written on the main chip?

Posted By

BSZ
on 2024-01-18
16:02:18

@George: Maybe it's a bit self-promotional, but make sure you choose one that works with the official current firmware. Because my firmware will probably work with it. grin

One - in my opinion - important thing to mention: choose one with 128K program memory in the microcontroller inside! (The 64K version may be cheaper, but there's no more room for improvements.) So in the parameters, the number 1284 is better than 644. happy And of course it is important that the bootloader is included for easy firmware upgrades.

If I had to choose now, I would look for one that is sw2-compatible, and an atmega1284 microcontroller is inside. The version linked by MIK seems to be a good one, but I have no personal experience with it.

One more thing... If you plan to use it with C128, it is good to have the SRQ line control built in. The current firmware does not support fast serial protocol, but this may change in the future. A little spoiler: in the next version of my firmware there will be a basic support for it; although KERNAL cannot use it yet, it is possible to write a program with the VCPU that communicates this way. But of course this is only interesting for the C128.

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2024-01-18
17:05:30

I really also want a Sd2Iec and looked at MIK's link but really also want a 1581 emulation. Where if available can I get such? So far, it looks good, but I'd better check again. happy

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2024-01-18
17:15:10

I just checked again, and it seems to support .d81 files, so it must support the 1581. Another question: if I use the fastloader on a Plus4, will the fastloader simply not work, or will it cause problems? It seems reasonable, but can somebody convert the prices to U.S. $ for me, please? Unless I already have a usable SD card, I want both options. BTW, will third-party, software-based fastloaders work, i.e. ones that come with some games and demos?

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-01-18
18:22:11

Yeah, it's really weird that people still build SD2IECs with 644's rather than 1284's, as the current price difference is about 0.20€ (6.27€ vs. 6.50€...).

@Harry Potter: It supports D81 images but cannot emulate all the 1581 capabilities, unless BSZ comes up with more tricks wink (yes, the 1581 supports Burst Mode, too).

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2024-01-18
18:35:17

SukkoPera, I thank you for your info. I think partitions are the most important feature of the 1581 other than its capacity. Does the Sd2Iec support them? Does it also support creating them?

Posted By

George
on 2024-01-19
04:22:08

@sukkopera
I contacted the manufacturer and he said we can put a ATMega1284p in it with latest firmware (Currently ATMega32).

My question what equipment do i need to do the Upgrade myself?

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-01-19
05:32:18

@George: Hard to say without a picture of the innards.

@Harry: I have no idea, sorry. @BSZ surely knows better wink.

Posted By

George
on 2024-01-19
06:28:26

@sukkopera I ment upgrading the firmware on the new chip. Mechanically i can install the chip, will send picture later

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-01-19
08:03:43

All you need to do is flash the bootloader, unless the chip you get provided already has it. For that you need something called a "USBasp programmer", you can get it very easily from AliExpress or similar sites for basically nothing (<5€). You can also do it with an Arduino if you have one.

The point is where to connect the programmer, that's why I need to see your board.

The software you'll need is called avrdude, if you use Windows there's also a GUI called avrdudess.

Posted By

BSZ
on 2024-01-19
15:17:30

@George: I don't quite understand what you wrote. You wrote:

I contacted the manufacturer and he said we can put a ATMega1284p in it with latest firmware (Currently ATMega32).

Does this mean that you will get a programmed 1284 from the manufacturer? Because in this case the solution is simple: ask for the bootloader (for the actual hardware) to be included! Then you just have to copy the new firmware to the card, put it in the drive, and a RESET will replace the old firmware to the new.

The stuffs at SukkoPera wrote here is necessary if you want to program a new (empty) chip (or one without bootloader). But there are many pitfalls; if you don't have basic electronics knowledge, so it's better to find someone who has done it before.

Posted By

George
on 2024-01-20
09:09:42

@SukkoPera @BSZ
Thank you for your valuable tips, friends.

I have a prototype of this device: https://plus4world.powweb.com/hardware/SD2IEC

Yes, i can send it to him and he will upgrade it for me, which is very cool. He will also make some modifications for an external powersupply, so i can use it with other commodores.
I will ask him, if he can provide it with a bootloader.

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-01-20
09:41:14

If Plus/4 is your most used retro machine just use a 1531 Adapter for power with C64/Vic20. wink

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-01-20
10:08:06

Looks nice. Then just send it back for upgrade, ask for an ATmega1284 as a chip and ask him to install the bootloader so that you will be able to do future updates on your own.

Also ask him for the device architecture: sw1, sw2, etc. That will be necessary for picking the correct update file in the future.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2024-01-20
14:16:19

@SukkoPera: I'm thinking about buying one myself, too. Where can I read about these architectural things, so I can ask the right questions at that time?

Posted By

George
on 2024-01-20
23:19:57

@MIK
Yes i looked for this adapter, but usually they sell them for gold (15EUR and up). Not worth the money.

@SukkoPera
Yes i will ask him.

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-01-21
04:34:38

@gerliczer: It's not much documented, the architecture basically represents the evolution of the SD2IEC from the MMC2IEC and says which GPIOs of the microcontroller are used for what and what features it supports. These days things seem to have settled on the sw2 architecture (Shadowolf 2), so that's probably the only thing you can get and it has everything that we require, including pins for reading and controlling the SRQ line as BSZ was pointing out, so it's already future-proof happy.

So you probably can't pick one architecture or the other, it's just important that you know which one your SD2IEC is because firmware updates come with binaries for the different architectures and you must pick the right one. There's at least 10 and you don't want to be trying then all before you find one where everything works ;).

The best reference I can find is probably the SD2IEC firmware sources (see macro CONFIG_HARDWARE_VARIANT).

Posted By

George
on 2024-01-21
14:06:52

@Sukkopera @BSZ
Any recomendation for shops for buying a ATMega1284p? Prices are up to 20 EUR...

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-01-22
02:34:19

They are much cheaper on Mouser. Depending on what package you need (another reason why I was asking for a picture of the internals), the TQFP is 5.86€ while the DIP is 6.44€ (+VAT). "P" versions are slightly more expensive and not essential (they only draw slightly less power), but get them if you can.

The problem is that shipping is probably going to be expensive (20€) unless you spend at least 50€.

But there's something I don't understand: why do you have to get the chip yourself if you have to send it back to the seller for the actual upgrade? He probably buys stuff from Mouser regularly so he sure can get the free shipping option...

Posted By

BSZ
on 2024-01-22
18:05:24

@George: I only made one (two, three... grin ) for my own use. I bought my chips from the local, official distributor. But for you, that would be shipping abroad. It's probably cheaper to find a local dealer. And as SukkoPera wrote, the version without P is also good (ATMEGAT1284-PU vs. ATMEGA1284P-PU), it's usually a matter of which one is in stock. happy

Posted By

George
on 2024-03-01
04:19:25

A small demonstration of my upgraded device

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024