Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-12-10
11:01:58
 Doomed PETSCII Pacman!

Doomed PETSCII Pacman screenshotHave you ever wondered what would combining Doom and Pac-Man would end up like? Wonder no more, Doomed PETSCII Pacman by Ko-Ko is here to answer that.

Don't expect typical Pac-Man gameplay, almost everything works slightly differently. Eating power pellets can have terrible effects, but they are needed to level up. Eating ghosts is deadly as always. In addition to the conventional Pac-Man enemies (Blinky, Pinky, Inky, and Clyde) this game also has Zinky and Drinky!

Enjoy!

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-12-10
11:01:58
 Re: Doomed PETSCII Pacman!

@Ko-Ko co-co-congratulations for this new tile continuing your lucky PETSCII games'series!

I read some labels there, so who is pexi.io? Which role would PleasureBytes Games have? Is this the first game participating to the Commodore Plus/4 Competition?

May I give you some feedback about it?
- there could be a bug which deletes the hiscore after a couple of plays;
- moving the joystick against a corridor when Pacman is running gives some false movements, e.g. Pacman turns back because you pusged UP in a left/right corridor; if you try to anticipate a corner by keeping the joystick in the forthcoming direction, I would expect nothing till the corner comes, not Pacman inverting his directiom wink
- hey come on I got a ghost with a mine, gimme some score grin (this is a personal view of course).

I saw you have added the Plus/4 version into a competition where you challenged with the C64 version. I better would keep the two well separated, otherwise we should invent to add every conversion before to every other competition. I guess it doesn't work that way, you could leave a note in the game's page instead, where to describe the participation of the C64 version to that compo.

Posted By

Ko-Ko
on 2023-12-10
11:28:26

Hey Luca!

Thank you for your feedback. I'll look into it, but I'm really full right now, so I can't promise anything. Pexi.io is an idea of mine for a marketplace for retro games, but it's still in the thinking phase. PleasureBytes.Games is a retro game publisher which I founded a couple of months ago with a retro collector friend of mine. We are the sponsor of the Commodore Plus/4 Competition, so this game is definitely NOT an entry in this competition. happy

Thank you again for correcting what I sometimes do without thinking here happy

Posted By

Murphy
on 2023-12-10
11:38:21
 Re: Doomed PETSCII Pacman

Nice little game!

Posted By

Ko-Ko
on 2023-12-10
12:03:34
 Re: Doomed PETSCII Pacman

Thanks, Murphy! happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-12-10
14:53:01

Fun to play, it's a perfect coffee-break style game. My only two complains are: the SFX becomes annoying very quickly, there's some tearing during the full screen effects (screen shake and inversion). Those were probably avoidable. Nonetheless those don't retract from the gameplay and I'm glad to see this released happy

For high scores, I'm proposing that we keep all scores in one category (regardless of the difficulty setting).

Posted By

Ko-Ko
on 2023-12-10
23:58:48

Csabo, thanks for the feedback. Based on your and Luca's suggestions, I will definitely make an update in the near future.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2023-12-11
14:49:38

Woww how much fun this is!! Congrats and thanks for this!

Posted By

Jingle​Jangles
on 2023-12-12
15:53:41

This is pretty fun, except for the curse of the WORST POWERUP IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEOGAMING, the control-reversing powerup. Honestly, why not just make the screen go totally black or crash back to the boot screen or somehow send an electric shock into the CPU and fry the whole machine?

Posted By

SVS
on 2023-12-13
07:49:47

@Jingle​Jangles: what the hell do you mean? #-)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-12-13
12:32:20

He just got way too worked up about the control-reversing power up happy I mean, he does have a point, it can get annoying.

Though I figured out what to do: when the controls are reversed, think about which way you want to go, then press the opposite (/sarcasm) wink

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-12-14
11:32:09

Very cute little game! I really enjoyed it! (BTH I enjoyed it more than the Cyberpunk 2077 happy )

yeah the reverse control could be annoying, I died few times, but I really like the plus live and the mines. If you have reverse control, just quickly turn your keyboard with 180° :-)

Bug report:
-Sometimes the starting next level do not have the background noise. I think both cases it was level3. Later on it comes back.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024